Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

Insurance Questions

Hello Everyone,

We are looking to get insurance for our new 5er we pick up soon and we're wondering if anyone has any advice for what we should make sure is covered or questions we should ask? We have State Farm and our homeowners will carry over to the 5er. I've noticed some people in the forum stating that is not good. Why?

The following is what our agent has told us so far and my questions back to them are in red.

1. 1) Liability extends to the 2017 Jayco from the vehicle towing it. For example, the 2008 Ford pickup is towing the Jayco and something breaks loose causing the Jayco to jackknife….liability coverage from the 2008 Ford extends to any damage or injury caused by the Jayco. There isn’t a deductible on liability coverage.

2. 2) Liability from your homeowners policy extends to any guest injury that may occur involving the Jayco while it is parked at your residence, on vacant land or on a rented camping site.

What if we are parked at a friends house to camp for a few days or a Walmart parking lot to overnight?

3. 3) Your Personal Liability Umbrella also extends liability coverage to the 2017 Jayco regardless of whether the liability claim is from a vehicle or while parked.

4. 4) Your homeowners policy extends personal property coverage to all personal items in the Jayco that were not originally attached to or part of the Jayco…furniture, clothing, dishes….etc. The coverage is the same replacement cost as your homeowners policy provides and also carries the same $1000 deductible and covers the same perils such as fire, theft, vandalism, lightning etc . For example, lightning strike the Jayco causing a fire..the Jayco policy with whichever deductible you choose covers the Jayco and all items that came with it but all other personal items are subject to the homeowners policy and its deductible.

5. 5) Your Jayco policy provides physical damage coverage for a multitude of things including fire, theft, vandalism, fallen trees, hail/thunderstorm, sudden expulsion of water etc.. Your deductible and premium choices are:

What does "sudden expulsion of water" mean? What if the pipes under the kitchen faucet leak and we don't find it for days and there's damage or the ceiling vent/fan in the bathroom leaks and there's water everywhere? Is that covered? What about a flood? We've read on camping forums of floods coming through and wiping out people's campers. Is that covered?

Other Questions:

1) Is there any kind of roadside assistance on our truck? Will there be any for the Jayco? If so, is towing included? What if the truck breaks down and needs to be towed, will there be towing for the Jayco also so we wouldn't have to just leave it alongside the road?
------------------------------------

I haven't sent my questions back to them yet. I'll wait to see if any of you have further things I should add. Thank you!

Lisa
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #2

I found this article to be helpful and a starting point for research, maybe it can answer some of your question - or add to your list of questions :-)

RV FAQ's & Tips: RV Insurance
Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

The only person that can accurately answer these questions regarding your coverage and definitions is your agent. Anything here is going to just be speculation. You certainly want to have accurate answers for these situations you describe.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
The only person that can accurately answer these questions regarding your coverage and definitions is your agent. Anything here is going to just be speculation. You certainly want to have accurate answers for these situations you describe.
Absolutely confirm everything regarding coverage with YOUR chosen agent. Things vary from policy to policy and the last thing you want after a major event is find out you didn't have the appropriate coverage...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Thank you for that info, CampFlyer! It looks useful. I appreciate it.

Just to clarify for others....I'm looking for suggestions of questions I should ask or coverage specifics I should make sure we get.

The things I originally posted were to show what items we're already discussing with our agent. Just didn't want to miss anything. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

Almost certainly your driving down the road liability is covered under your auto policy as that is the vehicle doing the towing. Your home owners may help cover some of your losses if something happens while camping or in storage. I personally would have an RV specific for non traveling losses but your agent will be able to answer your concerns much better than we can.

Additional info. My insurance (Erie) wrote a rider on my auto policy to cover the trailer for loss from theft fire damage and it was not that much more.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:46 AM   #7

I would get a second opinion or if possible go directly to State Farm on the coverage. We (forum members) can only comment on our policies which vary from state to state and co to co as well as policy to policy.

I have a specific RV policy that covers everything you mentioned above with some others and a specific Roadside assistance for both TV and Trailer. If one breaks down both will be towed since it's under the same policy.

Here is what I would also be looking at:
Coverage of replacement- Mine is every new model year for 5 years then purchase price after the 5th year. NADA value could leave you upside down.
Deductibles - HOIP carry some larger ones vs vehicle policies.
Injury of non-family members while on a rented site.
Flood insurance coverage- some have not been covered in this instance
Ask the - What if questions?

You seem to be asking the right questions and this is decision that "you" and you alone should be comfortable with. My information is purely for review and only from my perspective.

I also have an umbrella policy as a backup to all my vehicle coverage.

Again look to your specific needs and confirm they are met.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

3'senough, thank you! That was very helpful. I jist emailed our agent to ask specifically what type of replacement coverage we would have. Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #9

Get some roadside assistance coverage, and consider a rental vehicle coverage as well. Also, make sure you clarify your roadside assistance coverage as far as how much it will cover. An example: will it cover towing the TV and the RV? or just one or the other?

My father had been paying for roadside assistance and towing for 4 years on his truck and was told by his agent that it extended to his trailer when he was towing it.
Then just this last fall on his return from a hunting trip in Eastern Nevada, he developed trouble with his truck and required a tow. No problem he thought. He called his insurance roadside assistance number and they informed him they would NOT tow his truck because it was a "Heavy Duty" and the operator read him the policy information which did state any truck 3/4 ton or higher was not eligible to be towed because they are classified as "heavy duty". However, he was able to get his trailer towed to the closest available shop or station it could be left at (which meant a parking lot in Lovelock, Nevada).
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #10

3'senough, would you mind telling me who you ise for insurance? This is the answer we got innregard to 5er coverage. The only option State Farm has is “market value”. We insure the 5th wheel for its full market value less the deductible. This is the same option for your private passenger vehicles also.".

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Thank you!

Just wanted to thank you all for the help! We decided to go with Progressive. Same price as State Farm, but the biggest selling point was the Replacement Coverage. That is amazing and really a no-brainer for us.

If I wouldn't have asked and received help here, we probably would have just gone with State Farm. I had no idea there was this kind of coverage out there, so thank you again!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

I originally had my trailer on my State farm Homeowners policy when parked or in campgrounds and on my State Farm policy for my vehicles when towed. HOWEVER, When I found out that when parked, and on my homeowners policy, If anything happened, it would be the $1200.00 deductible that is on my home owners policy. WOW, that is a lot of money if something happened.

Generators stolen..... State Farm: $1200.00 deductible....
Good Sam: $250.00 deductible. Awning gets ripped off by wind. State Farm:$1200.00 Good Sam: $250.00. Get the message? Plus, State Farm does not drop the Comprehensive when the trailer is stored for the winter. Good Sam does and that makes the insurance much cheaper.

I talked with a Good Sam agent and my deductible is $250.00 and EVERYTHING is covered. Including replacement.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #13

We have Good Sam because no one would cover the F450. Good Sam would only cover it IF they also covered the 5vr. You do have to be careful with Good Sam. Wife was rear ended and the other driver was charged but who ever does their "review" didn't realize that and wife had a surcharge for the accident. That was straightened out. Our previous 5vr was broken into 3 times while in the storage facility and Good Sam was very good about everything.

As far as roadside assistance - we are probably too well covered. We have AAA Premium with one tow of 200 miles at no charge. And we have Good Sam's Road Side Assistance as well as Travel Assistance. Have absolutely no complaints with AAA - as long as you tell them that you have a trailer attached (you may want to ask them to repeat what you said), they will send out a truck capable of towing both the truck & trailer (yep, been there, done that).

And something else to consider - extended warranty on the 5vr that will cover items once the unit is out of warranty. That was a saving grace.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #14

So which warranty did you go with? We have a 2015 Pinnacle and considering the extended warranty. So many companies out there. Thanks for any help.
BlessedGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

We had auto/home and RV coverage with State Farm for 30 years. I am relating my experience with the RV only because what my agent told me is not what your agent is saying.

The RV policy from SF was in reality nothing more than a glorified auto policy for which we paid $640 a year. Essentially the only coverage we had was collision and liability when the RV was under tow, and comprehensive when towed or parked. Liability to cover an accident or injury in the parked RV? No. Personal property coverage fell under comprehensive coverage. Medical payments? No. Replacement cost? Actual cash value. Only personal property coverage afforded under homeowners' policy was for items actually brought from home to the RV and since our homeowners' policy had a flat 1% deductible, we would likely be out of pocket for a loss.

No endorsement here, but we took our auto and RV business to GEICO. Less expensive by $900 a year, and the RV policy is a hybrid auto/mini homeowners' policy that includes $10000 liability coverage when parked, $6000 personal property coverage, $1000 medical payments, roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage, and was $200 a year less than State Farm. GEICO also offers a replacement cost rider that can be purchased for additional cost if the RV is 5 years old or less.

The biggest lesson I learned from all this is 'bundled' coverage with a single company isn't necessarily the best or cheapest option. It pays to shop around.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

I had a Keystone 34RKDS with both Progressive and Good Sam (Extended Service Plan) coverage.

One of the Slide outs needed adjusting but neither would cover it. the ESP from Good Sam does NOT cover adjustments. Something has to be broken in order for it to be covered.

Traveling through the Columbia River Gorge on a particularly windy day - a 3' section of paneling blew out. Progressive sent an agent out to inspect it and declared it a manufacturer defect within a few minutes. Because the trailer was two years old - Keystone would not cover it and neither would Progressive.

That is when I traded it in for the much smaller and easier to maintain 212QBW
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

Insurance

Ive been with State-Farm for 30 yrs. 15 with RV Policy. best price and yes your coverage does carry over from your Tow Veh, also your Comp and theft carry over from your Homeowners, but it does cover everything those other rv insurance companies offer and I'm paying around 125.00 less then any ive found
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedGirlie View Post
So which warranty did you go with? We have a 2015 Pinnacle and considering the extended warranty. So many companies out there. Thanks for any help.
U.S. Plus Warranty - where we store our unit they also do repair work & we prefer their warranty.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErraticAKn View Post
I had a Keystone 34RKDS with both Progressive and Good Sam (Extended Service Plan) coverage.

One of the Slide outs needed adjusting but neither would cover it. the ESP from Good Sam does NOT cover adjustments. Something has to be broken in order for it to be covered.

Traveling through the Columbia River Gorge on a particularly windy day - a 3' section of paneling blew out. Progressive sent an agent out to inspect it and declared it a manufacturer defect within a few minutes. Because the trailer was two years old - Keystone would not cover it and neither would Progressive.

That is when I traded it in for the much smaller and easier to maintain 212QBW
Interesting, I had never heard of the "We won't cover it because it is a manufacturing defect" clause. I could easily see that being stretched by the insurance company(s) to mean "we won't cover anything". For example, on a car, if a tire has blowout and you lose control of the car...Manufacturing Defect, so sorry!!!

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote