Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #1

Interesting article about the state of the industry

Jayco Owners forum is referenced in here. I'm still reading. It's a long article...

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/18/208...s-poor-quality
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Jayco Owners forum is referenced in here. I'm still reading. It's a long article...

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/18/208...s-poor-quality
It also reinforces what many of us have said on JOF, most units don't have problems and you only hear from the un-happy owner.

Kevin Broom, director of media relations at the RVIA, says that the “vast majority” of owners “are very satisfied with their RVs.” In a survey asking current RV owners who recently bought a unit about their experiences, the RVIA found that 88 percent rated their experience as good, very good, or excellent, Broom says.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Team

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting this.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

OK, I'm done reading it. The thing that strikes me the most is the industry recognition that they've got to do a better job. Their response is commendable (RV Technical Institute) but I'm not convinced it's enough. Not to mention it's going to be several years before this program pays off. They really need to address out the door QC and dealer cooperation.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Team

One of the questions I always have when this subject comes up is who did the PDI on the unit before the unhappy owner took possession? I'm certainly not discounting frustration over initial quality issues or denying that they exist. But, many of the problems that we see discussed over and over again could have and should have been caught and corrected before delivery. Yes, there will always be failures down the line. But when I here someone describe a punch list of dozens of problem areas on their unit, I just wonder how many could have been corrected before papers were signed or money exchanged hands.

Case in point. A lady that I work with and her husband purchased a new unit from one of the mega dealers in Michigan at the same time we bought our current Jayco in May of 2017. They had it delivered to PA as part of their deal. They never actually looked at their unit in person until it was in their driveway. Now they claimed that the dealer did a PDI. But, from the time they purchased it, they have been complaining of little issues, trim, plumbing leaks, etc. I can can only believe that those things would have been addressed if they had actually done a real PDI before they took delivery. And let's face it, it isn't exactly easy to tow the unit back to Michigan for a minor repair and the local dealers will not touch it since it wasn't purchased from them. So, now they are unhappy with the trailer and can't wait to trade it in.

How many of these common complaints come from similar situations?
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
They never actually looked at their unit in person until it was in their driveway. Now they claimed that the dealer did a PDI. But, from the time they purchased it, they have been complaining of little issues, trim, plumbing leaks, etc. I can can only believe that those things would have been addressed if they had actually done a real PDI before they took delivery.

How many of these common complaints come from similar situations?
Unless things have changed, JAYCO does an extensive QC check every so many units and if issues are found everything produced prior to that unit are given a thorough QC. That also happens on many production lines.

Most issues have that common source. DEALER FAIL....

But I do have to ask why would anybody spend that kind of money and not look at what they are buying. To me that is ridiculous, I don't care what kind of reputation the dealer has.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #7

I read that there is talk of making all pedastal breakers a GFI style. That puts manufacturer's in a real mess trying to get current leakage from a wide source of suppliers under control and handled under warranty.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

My DW always says.

"Sail it down the roads (often bumpy) at 70mph and then complain on quality.

Not to long ago when many spoke of "It was built better then", speed was below 55mph.

"Steady as she so goes mate".

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote