Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
===========================

If a dealer told me that he would never get my business. That's the height of arrogance.
You either service me or I go elsewhere.
I actually had two dealers tell me that. As some of the other posts suggest, it's not as much about arrogance or bad service as it is about a relationship. I now have a relationship with my dealer, I know the owner by name and he knows me. He's likely going to reward my loyalty by giving me "special treatment". (I use quotes because it's not really that special, he just wants me to think it is, and it feels like I'm special even though deep down, I know I'm not) It's not that he's not going to service your trailer, but all things being equal, he's going to work on mine first because he knows me.

That being said, my dealer will likely do everything in his power to service everyone as fast as possible, especially people who have problems out on the road because he knows the value of a reputation.

To bring it back to the OP's original discussion; I'm all for doing as much as I can do on the internet, but there's something to be said for talking to a person and shaking his or her hand while interacting face-to-face. It's interesting to see how dealers are overcoming the difficulties of doing business in an electronic economy.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #32

It's kinda interesting that all of the posts here get back to service. That is, mechanical service after the purchase. No one has talked about one of the reasons we go through the internet to purchase...its to avoid the sales person. I have purchased two RVs in my lifetime and talked to countless RV salespeople and have yet to talk to one who knows his (or her) product. So, for me, the salesperson is an unnecessary expense and the internet is one way around that expense. Or at least the internet "experience" makes me think it is a way around that expense. In any event, I don't have to interact with that person

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I have purchased two RVs in my lifetime and talked to countless RV salespeople and have yet to talk to one who knows his (or her) product.
I had this experience, and I find this to be profoundly disappointing. I talked to several salespeople when we were buying our unit, and none of them knew nearly as much about the trailers I was looking at as I did. In fact, I had to correct some of them on specifications and capacities they were just flat out wrong about.

I talked to my dad about this very issue last weekend. I said "I know salespeople have potentially hundreds of models they're supposed to know about from several different manufacturers, so I guess I can cut them some slack." His response: "Tax law is complicated too isn't it? But you're a CPA and you're supposed to know accounting and tax law? The RV industry is complicated too, but it's their business to know, and it's not unreasonable to expect them to know their business." And he is absolutely right.

Luckily I knew which trailer I wanted already and had little or no use for the salesperson I ended up buying from. I had even negotiated a price with the owner over email before I ever even met my "salesperson".

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
My original question wasn't about warranty work but just a question about what Jayco means by "Internet Certified Dealer" and what makes me want to buy from them over a "non-Certified".
In my ac business for example,if I agree tp pay a certain manufacturer $2000 a year & attend all kinds of "sales classes" I can use the term "CFAD" x-brand Factory Authiroized Dealer in my advertising.I dont and have been selling a certain brand since 1984.Maybe the trend of making dealers "pay" for marketing thier product has reached the RV business.
Myself,I shop prices but when it comes to buying I want the business close enough that I can find where they live.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I talked to my dad about this very issue last weekend. I said "I know salespeople have potentially hundreds of models they're supposed to know about from several different manufacturers, so I guess I can cut them some slack." His response: "Tax law is complicated too isn't it? But you're a CPA and you're supposed to know accounting and tax law? The RV industry is complicated too, but it's their business to know, and it's not unreasonable to expect them to know their business." And he is absolutely right.
I agree with you, however comparing a CPA to a RV Salesman is a bit extreme. Now I'm sure if RV Salesman earn what a CPA earns then they would make sure they knew everything we expect them too.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I agree with you, however comparing a CPA to a RV Salesman is a bit extreme. Now I'm sure if RV Salesman earn what a CPA earns then they would make sure they knew everything we expect them too.
Right?!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Hate to disagree with you but I know plenty of salespeople who make a lot more than the average CPA. Education does not always compare equally with income, especially when it comes to sales.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Now I'm sure if RV Salesman earn what a CPA earns then they would make sure they knew everything we expect them too.
about 20 years ago I knew the figures so here goes,something like 80% of incomes over 50K(at that time) were made in sales.I had a nieghbor back in 1980 that sold appliances at Sears in Dallas at Town East Mall and he made 6 figures then.what my CPA charges I know he is "comfortable"
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Hate to disagree with you but I know plenty of salespeople who make a lot more than the average CPA. Education does not always compare equally with income, especially when it comes to sales.
Yes sales reps can be very highly compensated, I agree. I manage a team of 10 of them, each are well paid even by California standards -- however the average RV sales rep isn't cut from the same cloth as my team. You all quickly went to generic sales reps, I specifically said RV Sales Reps. If you know "plenty of salespeople" then this shouldn't be news to you.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #40
Site Team

INTERNET CERTIFIED JAYCO DEALER

Jayco and your Internet Certified Jayco dealer are dedicated to making your online shopping experience both satisfying and useful. You can expect quick, friendly answers to your questions and a timely response to your requests for a Quote. As part of being an Internet Certified Jayco Dealer, a dealer must be approved by Jayco as:

A professional and ethical Internet consultant
An expert in product knowledge to meet your online expectations
Friendly and flexible with its sales process to help meet your needs
Able to respond via e-mail to your inquiry within 24 hours
Willing to abide by Jayco’s online sales policies and guidelines

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote