Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Internet Certified Dealer ???

Just looking at the Jayco web site and note that one of the local dealers is now an "Internet Certified Dealer". There's a link explaining what that is but it seems to be centered around providing online quotes.
http://www.jayco.com/pages/dealer-lo...ountry_code=US

So, what'd 'ya think? Compete directly with RVDirect? Anyone with some insight?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #2

I think that dealers are not required to work on products they do not sell off their lots. I think most dealers take care of folks that are on the road and have issues and they expect that to happen and deal with it. I also think the guy that lives down the block but buys from a dealer across the state is out of luck on getting service from that local dealer unless he's just not busy taking care of his customers. So driving long distance to purchase a Jayco based on price and then going across the street to get it repaired can be risky business. The internet side of the RV business is ahead of the factory contract process with dealers and that's something to consider.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Hey mike,
I'm not clear what you mean here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
The internet side of the RV business is ahead of the factory contract process with dealers and that's something to consider.
I find it interesting that Jayco calls them "Certified" like it's a significant distinction. Providing an on-line quote doesn't seem to be a big deal ("List price is $xx,xxx, on-line you get 10% discount, come in an we'll talk"), but the Jayco description of this "cert" seems to indicate something deeper. The local dealer's web site doesn't look any different from the last time I looked at it. The Jayco site tries to integrate these certified dealers inventory into their site (I looked at a dealer in S.C.) but the links to my local guy isn't working (yet?). The local guy has never had much Jayco inventory IMHO and I visited with them a bit at the last outdoor show here in Houston and Jayco wasn't the "Primary" product they offered - just one of several.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

Where do you get your facts? It is my understanding that Jayco dealers must honor warrantees on any and all Jayco products not just the ones that they sold. You may not get priority on their service schedule, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be a Jayco dealer very long if they turned away owners who bought elsewhere.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Team

We purchased our 2013 Eagle 284BHS through an Internet RV dealer in CA and we decided to pick it up from a dealer that is located about 1 mile from the Jayco Mfg plant in Indiana. I have had the TT serviced at 2 different dealers over the last year and neither one of them even asked where I purchased mine from. ALL THEY WANT IS THE VIN, so that they can verify that the trailer is still under warrantee. Both dealers/service centers were more than happy to service my TT. As we speak, our TT is having the front end repainted by a dealer.
If I were you, I would file a presidential complaint (with Jayco) regarding the way one of their "CERTIFIED" dealers interacted with you. If Jayco is not notified, how can they drop these dealers?
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You may not get priority on their service schedule...
My dealer told me this was in fact the case for his service department. He would work on your rig, but only when he got done with his customers' rigs. Could be months in some cases before he got to a non-customer rig. I bought from him because his service department has a good reputation compared to others in my area.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We purchased our 2013 Eagle 284BHS through an Internet RV dealer in CA and we decided to pick it up from a dealer that is located about 1 mile from the Jayco Mfg plant in Indiana. I have had the TT serviced at 2 different dealers over the last year and neither one of them even asked where I purchased mine from. ALL THEY WANT IS THE VIN, so that they can verify that the trailer is still under warrantee. Both dealers/service centers were more than happy to service my TT. As we speak, our TT is having the front end repainted by a dealer.
If I were you, I would file a presidential complaint (with Jayco) regarding the way one of their "CERTIFIED" dealers interacted with you. If Jayco is not notified, how can they drop these dealers?
Don
The topic of warranty work done by a dealer other than where the unit was purchased has been an ongoing topic of discussion since long before I joined this forum and will probably continue long after I'm in the ground. I suspect it's a "hidden" policy by the individual dealer whether a walk-in gets the same treatment as a regular customer. To be an authorized dealer I'm sure a shop has to agree to a level of Jayco Customer support regardless of where a unit is purchased. That said I'm also sure that some dealers will give preferential treatment to folks who buy from them whether Jayco Corporate knows/approves or not. Mustang, it sounds like you've located some excellent dealers and service like you've received would make me want to buy from them.

My original question wasn't about warranty work but just a question about what Jayco means by "Internet Certified Dealer" and what makes me want to buy from them over a "non-Certified".

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

I think priority is first come first serve in any case...I can't believe that a Jayco dealer would say this and if he did he should be reported to Jayco. What happens when you buy a trailer and then move to a different State, Province or even Country...I don't believe they can refuse to provide service, just because you didn't buy it from that particular dealer, when the unit is under warranty. Secondly, I have never heard a Jayco dealer say that you can only get the unit serviced at dealership that you bought with. When I purchased my 30DSRE I was told that the warranty would be honored by any authorized/certified Jayco dealer.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #9

You have "contracts". You have "agreements". You have an "ideal world". And you have the "real world".

You have 3 customers. One who bought their unit at this dealership. One who lives near the dealership but drove 100 miles away to save a hundred dollars on his purchase. And one who lives in another state and is traveling through.

All have the same in-warranty problem. All need the same part to fix the problem. The dealer only has one of these parts.

In the "ideal world" the dealer would have 3 of every part that could possibly fail.

In the "real world" The person traveling SHOULD (I would hope anyway) be given the priority. Of the other two the customer who bought there WILL be given the next priority.

The last customer will have his warranty honored last. THAT IS the "real world".

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #10

We bought our Jayco from a dealer 400 miles from home - it was a new previous year model that we liked at an attractive price. I contacted the closest dealer for some warranty work this spring. No problem except he charges $250 flt rate to the customer for any warranty work if the unit was not purchased from him. Pass. I went to another dealer and he did the work under warranty with no additional charge.

I notified Jayco of my experience.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #11

... copied from Jayco's site: INTERNET CERTIFIED JAYCO DEALER

Jayco and your Internet Certified Jayco dealer are dedicated to making your online shopping experience both satisfying and useful. You can expect quick, friendly answers to your questions and a timely response to your requests for a Quote. As part of being an Internet Certified Jayco Dealer, a dealer must be approved by Jayco as:
•A professional and ethical Internet consultant
•An expert in product knowledge to meet your online expectations
•Friendly and flexible with its sales process to help meet your needs
•Able to respond via e-mail to your inquiry within 24 hours
•Willing to abide by Jayco’s online sales policies and guidelines

The only references are to sales, which, not surprisingly, is a high priority to Jayco. IMO, service is only an issue if it affects sales. I agree with tnchuck100's real world scenario. A high volume dealer can probably get away with some service shenanigans that a lower volume dealer couldn't. It's $$$ vs Customer Service - and the winner is ...
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #12

I gave my closest dealer a chance to quote on the unit I wanted. Even with [Ha Ha] a $6k trade in on my old TT, he was only
$1k less than the dealer in Middlebury In near the factory. I sold my TT for $5k so came out $4k ahead less about $300 for the trip to pick up the new one. The closest dealer is still almost 2 hours from my home, so it wasn't like he was in my back yard.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenssailor View Post
We bought our Jayco from a dealer 400 miles from home - it was a new previous year model that we liked at an attractive price. I contacted the closest dealer for some warranty work this spring. No problem except he charges $250 flt rate to the customer for any warranty work if the unit was not purchased from him. Pass. I went to another dealer and he did the work under warranty with no additional charge.

I notified Jayco of my experience.
What did Jayco say?
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #14

Jayco did call me. hey said that they do not approve of that approach but cannot do anything directly about it since the dealers are each an independent business and are not in a franchise type of operation. The lady siad they would be talking with that dealer. If have not heard anything since. I certainly have not recontacted that dealer nor will I ever.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #15

I bought from a Jayco Internet Certified Dealer 6 hours from my home and got just what they stated. Maybe the RV industry is finally growing up...sorta like the auto industry.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Where do you get your facts? It is my understanding that Jayco dealers must honor warrantees on any and all Jayco products not just the ones that they sold. You may not get priority on their service schedule, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be a Jayco dealer very long if they turned away owners who bought elsewhere.
your understanding is incorrect. A dealer in the rv industry is independent, notice the sign on the dealers business, it doesn't say Jayco. Dealers sell brands and service what they sell although most will help a traveler and most will do warranty work when the work load allows. But understand that the RV industry has mostly recovered and dealers are swamped working on what they have already sold.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #17

In my opinion and experience picking an RV dealer is more important than picking a brand. A local dealer thats been in business for a long time with an established customer base understands that the future success of his business comes from those repeat customers. RV 'S warranties are complex they come in the form of a book. The axle, tires, refrigerator, heater, and various components have seperate warranties with the OEM only picking up the set cost of labor to replace. There is no way for a dealer to pick up the cost of diagnosis of any issue, they get paid once the problem is correctly identified and the proper warranty claims are made to the various intities. In short, they see this as losing money and potentially losing a long term customer whos waiting for a repair.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #18

Wow.. just.. wow.

I am truly sorry for the bad service *some* of the dealers/repair shops have given. I kinda take it personally. I can only tell you how our dealership runs.

We take our internet certified tag seriously. We go to classes, and earned it. We wear it with pride

We are small (9 employees). Been in the RV business for 30 years. Owner went Jayco only 2 years ago and could not be happier. Dave (owner) pushes "no pressure sales". This means, you call or stop by, we give info, go out of our way to make sure you have a good experience, but don't hound with "so, are you ready to buy???"

We schedule repairs on a first come-first served basis. Who gets parts is the same, we just don't have enough space to house every part for every camper. We also work on any camper, does not matter what manufacturer. Any warranty work is scheduled the same way, first come, first serve. Jayco is a Jayco. We don't care where you buy it, but we will service it, with no "since you did not buy it from us" fee.

Please keep in mind, that if parts are needed from Jayco, it can take up to 90 days to receive. Parts is my world, and believe me, I get just as frustrated with Jayco as you do. I just shipped Jayco parts to Arizona because the RV owner was told that since he did not purchase the rig from that Jayco dealer, he would not sell him Jayco parts.

I guess after my rant, we are all independent. Sales is what drives the RV world, but customer service is what keeps you coming back. We strive for the after the sale experience. I guess that is why I am on the Jayco forums. Just another way to help anyone that needs it, and make our company better.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #19

I had a similar experience with a local Jayco dealer in Washington State. The sales person at the local dealer stated that they would not service non-customer's rigs. I chose not to purchase from them and purchased from another Jayco dealer that was 70 miles away. Is it a hassle? Yes especially since my new rig has been in the shop so much. Funny thing I got a email from the local dealer. I replied and told them exactly why I didn't purchase the rig from them. He was shocked. That is not their policy however sales people sometimes use it as an unauthorized technique thinking that they are able to pressure the purchaser in to paying more to buy from them. I told him that was a stupid idea and actually drove me away from them. I'm not in a used car lot and will not be pressured into a snap decision. Nor will I pay $5k more than market for a new rig just because they are closer to my house. The thing these dealers need to understand is the first place I am going to look to purchase a new setup would be the place that is servicing my unit. I'm already there seeing the shiny new rigs! Driving customers away by these idiotic policies only hurts them in the long run. If they want sales they need to service anyone. Now I understand if there is a person who has an urgent matter and they are going on vacation and you have a lot full of non-customer rigs you may jump queue so that the urgent matter is handled. Similarly, if there is a service issue the selling dealer has more invested in the situation and may be willing to go farther to work with Jayco to get certain things handled that a non-selling dealer would do.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My dealer told me this was in fact the case for his service department. He would work on your rig, but only when he got done with his customers' rigs. Could be months in some cases before he got to a non-customer rig. I bought from him because his service department has a good reputation compared to others in my area.
===========================

If a dealer told me that he would never get my business. That's the height of arrogance.
You either service me or I go elsewhere.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote