Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #1

Ipad/Iphone to TV connection

I have googled running my iphone/Ipad throught the TV in my RV and find it very confusing. I think I need an adapter to connect to the HDMI port, but then there is discussion on also connecting the charger. Can anyone decipher this for me? It would be helpful to buy the correct items on the first try!

Dennis
2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME
Dmcall52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #2

Another issue

Some of the adapters don't support Netflix/Prime etc. I do want to be able to send the streaming programming to the TV.

Thanks for the help,

Dennis
Dmcall52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

Assuming you have an available HDMI port in your rig, this would get you connected most easily: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter

That adapter + an HDMI cable and you're all set (your device can be charged at the same time).

There are many ways to get connected wirelessly, but that depends a bit more on your level of tech and willingness to get it set up.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcall52 View Post
Some of the adapters don't support Netflix/Prime etc. I do want to be able to send the streaming programming to the TV.

Thanks for the help,

Dennis
I have not heard of that. We used to use a iPad with an adapter to watch Netflix, YouTube TV, Amazon Prime and Hulu for sure.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Team

We use an inexpensive ROKU box to access Netflix, Prime, etc. You can add almost any that you are subscribed to.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #6

Like Norty1, I use a Amazon Fire Stick to stream my Netflix, Prime Video... The only issue I have is DW’s Hallmark Movie Channel is through our Roku channel and Fire Stick dies not have a Native Roku app (a little quirky). I may try my little Roku device next outing.
But, either device using my phone our iPad as hotspot for WiFi connection. It pulls the battery heavy, so I keep it charging during use.
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
Assuming you have an available HDMI port in your rig, this would get you connected most easily: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter

That adapter + an HDMI cable and you're all set (your device can be charged at the same time).

There are many ways to get connected wirelessly, but that depends a bit more on your level of tech and willingness to get it set up.
This. And spring for the Apple adapter, not some knockoff, trust me. It works well in most cases, although we found it a little wonky with our Dish on Demand, which taps into our Hopper box back home. But better than nothing.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #8

Chromecast should cast from an Ipad to any TV with an HDMI port. You plug the Chromecast device into the HDMI port on the television, go through the set-up process on your Ipad and then whatever it is you are watching on the Ipad appears you touch the Chromecast Icon on the Ipad and it gets cast to the television.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #9

I bought this red cable on eBay....

I connect my Iphone or Ipad to the tv.

Unlimited Visible internet for $25 a month.

Frndly live tv for $6 a month with 15-channels.

It works perfect for me.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #10

As some others have said, make sure you get the genuine Apple HDMI adapter, some of the knockoffs don't work with major content because of digital rights protection. It has an HDMI out port so you can run the HDMI cable to your TV and it also has a lightning port so you can connect your Apple charger cable and it will charge your phone while watching TV. It works quite well and is mostly foolproof.

Some have mentioned Chromecast, Fire stick, Roku, etc. If you are trying to run your streaming through your phone via LTE (since many phone plans allow you to stream video and audio without counting against your data), then you need something like the HDMI adapter. If you use a streaming device, you need to be able to use "screen mirroring" as opposed to "casting". The screen mirroring approach is a bit hit or miss, while the HDMI adapter ALWAYS works.

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Yeah, these knock-offs from Amazon don't apparently work on the major streaming apps.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #12

X2 on the Apple HDMI adapter

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #13

Cool. Do all the apps work for you, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney, Hulu? I've heard that Prime recently won't work with the cable.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #14

We've done Hulu and Netflix successfully. Amazingly, we've even streamed our home church services to our RV television in different RV sites without WIFI, using cell only.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #15

In the conversation about television connections you mentioned that you use your Roku device. We have just purchased our first Camper and have wondered about using our Roku in it. How do you connect to the internet with it? Is it as simple as getting a hotspot or do I need a lot more equipment?
Rzorbcksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:57 PM   #16

True, to use a Roku, you'll need internet. That could be a hotspot from your phone. You would just connect to the wifi that your phone is making. Sometimes these speeds can be pretty bad though.

Some campgrounds have wifi.

What I decided on was to download TV/movies from the different apps like Netflix, Disney, etc. Then connect that device to the TV via a HDMI cable (see above). No internet needed.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroLund View Post
Cool. Do all the apps work for you, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney, Hulu? I've heard that Prime recently won't work with the cable.
Earlier this year prime worked with our knock-off HDMI adapter. I usually download movies through the Prime App on my Ipad and then watch them through the adapter without using data or wifi. I used Roko last trip and was close to the point where Verizon was going to throttle my speeds on my "umlimited" hot spot after just 3 days.

Someone else asked about needing a charger with the adapter. You do need to be charging when using the knock-off adapter and I believe the Apple one as well.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #18

thank you for the tip. We are going to try to figure it out, and if not we will just get back to nature....lol
Rzorbcksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #19

I stuck with an Apple branded cable, just to be safe since apparently this is a DRM (digital rights management) issue, aka copyright encryption, with some streamers.

You can save some bucks by going with eBay, what I did. I paid $18.92 delivered. It has a pass-through Lightning port to charge the screen as you watch.