Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #21

Thanks to everyone who have helped to frame the debate - much appreciated!
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #22

We put up a metal Carolina Carport for our 5th wheel. I don't use a fabric cover as I noticed on the old motorhome, mice enjoyed the cover, wheel covers etc. The carport blocks the sun, provides adequate ventilation etc. I was going to put a tarp on the sides of the carport for added protection but You really don't need it.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #23

We store our RV in California and used a RV COVER which we thought would save the exterior BUT we found tons of mildew and had to power wash the entire roof area and had to use bleach to remove the black. It was a nightmare so now it is not covered and it has been handling the sun with no problems

Tom
2016 Precept 31 UL
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #24

I guess it depends on how much you are paying, but the short answer is YES! Everyone worries about their RV sitting in the rain, but the thing that causes the most damage is the sun. Hot sun bearing down on a rubber roof and seals is what creates the cracking that allows water intrusion.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #25

I live in South Florida as I’m reading this I’m taking a break from removing the cover off my RedHawk,(and sweating my #%* off),! As I was taking my cover off I said to myself, “boy I wish I had covered storage”!

The cover is a necessary evil out in this hot sun and keeps it fairly clean. I’m sure it would also be a necessary evil in the dead of winter with snow on it. The other thing that annoys the crap out of me is I have to wait for the dew to dry off of it before I can take it off and roll it up otherwise you’d have to lay out the “parachute” somewhere in the sun and let it dry! So to answer your question yes totally worth it !
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #26

RV Covers

Here in Oregon we dont tan we rust !!! Yes I have installed a metal RV cover over our current and past trailers ... They last longer as well as increase resale down the road ...... Well worth the $1,100 Last trailer was a 99 and it looked as nice as new when we sold in 2017 .... Started with a Costco metal tubed canvas cover but got tired of replacing the canvas every year.... Spend the money for a metal cover .....
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #27

It's worth it to me. All my vehicles are garaged, even trailers are kept in a barn or under a carport. I'm in Texas and we get it all. Heat, cold, hail, and severe storms/ wind. I was keeping the MH in a covered storage area that was very nice and was only 2 miles from home. Well at least I thought it was nice, until I realized there was a concrete plant just to the south. The white dust was horrible. I was on a waiting list for a smaller place a mile further and just got the call that I was next in line. Nice place, good location, covered, 55ft long, and no dust. $50 a month less also, plus they have 30 amp elec. Another bonus was finding out my space is next to the owner and he parks in the middle of two spots so mine is extra wide.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 PM   #28

On-Site garage

We purchased a 1 year old Jayco Eagle 313H class C in 2001. Tried multiple ways to cover for 2 years. They proved to be expensive, cumbersome, and did not protect from Az heat. The interior still got very hot. I saw a couple spots were the "wall paper" was pulling from the wall. Built a metal building (30x40x15) and see no further damage. The decals and all of the exterior still looks great. In addition, I feel better knowing the tires are not baking. Having had RV blowouts, I still change the tires at 6-7 years regardless of appearance. My life and those around me are worth more. I also now find when we have company they live having their own private place to have as there own. Guest bedrooms are great but still lack privacy the rv affords. The garage helps keep the RV comfortable and clean. I feel the cost is saved in many ways. Even dw who was not thrilled initially is very glad e have it.
Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #29

I live in Las Vegas it gets well over 100 here May to October, I pay for covered secured storage. I shopped around to check rates , then I checked on location as we did not want to store in a shady part of town. We found one 3 miles from my home and I have 24 hour access for 190 a month.
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #30

In a word YES

In Texas total in closed is best. No sun, Hale to worry about. Sun on interior and decals is your enemy. Go to PPL or other sales lots and see what interior and decals look like after three years. Our rig is painted and stored inside for that reason. It all depends on how long you plan on keeping unit and what you can live with. The cheap interiors do not hold up well to sun.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #31

I have a big enough property, so I installed 40 foot cover for my 32 foot Greyhawk. You have to take into account the way the sun orients itself in your area. I have one side all the way to the ground, the back fully enclosed, the side that gets no sun 1/3 down, and also a front bib that comes down about 2 feet. The only time any of the elements get to it is the front take a little sun for an hour or two before sunset. The cover cost about $7000 and has been totally worth it. It's 14 feet wide so I also store other stuff in there for dry storage. The rig looks just like the day I bought it 3 years ago. I'm in Oregon and any rigs that sit out exposed full time get covered in algae, moss, etc. It's totally worth it. Plus it adds resale value to the house when you sell.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #32

Here is a viewpoint from the guy you will be selling to. I only buy used campers. Mostly a couple of years old so the kinks are worked out and someone else takes the huge depreciation.

I won't even come to look at something with faded gelcoat and plastic and faded or cracked stickers. I wouldn't buy it at any price. That will happen in 18 months of sitting outside which is about when I like to buy them. RVs stored indoors still look brand new.

The 2018 Eagle HT I just bought was in a covered storage but with an open front. The roof looks brand new but the cap had barely started to fade. I made the dealership compound and restore the front cap as a condition of sale.

You are turning away a ton of buyers and losing a ton of money on resale by keeping your camper outside.
Marshfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #33

What something is worth is very relative to the individual person and circumstances. If my last name was Gates it wouldn't matter to me what it cost it would be in covered storage with climate control and 24 hour security. Since my last name isn't Gates I cover my TT with a Adco cover which keeps in clean and ready for use when I uncover it in the Spring. It's a breathable cover so I've never hand any issues with mildew.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
What something is worth is very relative to the individual person and circumstances. If my last name was Gates it wouldn't matter to me what it cost it would be in covered storage with climate control and 24 hour security. Since my last name isn't Gates I cover my TT with a Adco cover which keeps in clean and ready for use when I uncover it in the Spring. It's a breathable cover so I've never hand any issues with mildew.

Who's Gates?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Who's Gates?
He's the guy that could spend $1,000 per hour for 10,000 years and would still have more money than 99% of the people on the planet.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill...pending-2018-8

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covered storage, rv storage