Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Is covered storage worth the money?

Hello,
I have been reading the forum posts for a year now and usually find something of interest each week. Thanks to everyone who responds in a positive manner... My question is it worth the extra money for covered storage versus an open air environment. Here in Arizona, the sun is brutal most of the year. Thanks in advance!
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

We are in the process of building out our property in Yuma and yes I will be building an RV garage/cover for our motorhome. I don't want our Precept to cook for the 6 months of the year we will be there.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #3

I don't have a covered storage option for the money I want to spend.

I did add foil faced bubble wrap sold as duct insulation wrap. I cut pieces to fit each window and the roof vents. Keeps it cooler and prevents fading.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Have you considered just an RV cover available for most sizes of RV. Lots of debate about them, but they would protect the RV against fading.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #5

I talked to a few friends about that and they thought the UV rays would tear them up, I use a Harbor Fr. tarp on my boat and it doesn't last 6 months, but that is HF quality mostly anyways... thanks.
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #6

In the northeast here (CT) and I have stored our RVs in a ShelterLogic structure for as long as we own them. I got the heavy duty shelter, and it was well worth the money. Keeping the camper out of the weather made a huge difference. We sold at 2007 Eagle TT last fall after 12 camping seasons, ans it looked like it was brand new. It is also a big benefit to keep it out of the precipitation as well as the dust and dirt that is airborne.

Of course, here we deal with cold and snow, and the sun is not as strong as where you are. You also have to consider adequate ventilation to keep the storage area cool enough, but I think keeping a unit under cover and protected from the elements is worth it!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #7

I neither live in the south nor full time so I wouldn’t know what to do with 6 months of sun. However, I can tell you that I put my coach in unheated storage from the end of October thru mid-April. It’s winterized and subject to freezing temperatures but it is out of the elements so I know what to expect when I pick it up in the Spring. I pay a flat rate per foot and the cost has been inching up so I am seriously considering making my detached garage big enough to house it next year. To answer your question, yes, it is totally worth it.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #8

Here in northwestern PA we get a lot of snow. I wouldn't want my RV sitting outside with the snow blowing and laying on top of it for 3-4 months. It would also complicate snow blowing or snow plowing to get the drive way clear. For what I pay each winter for indoor storage, I could go 15 years before it would equal the cost of even a cheap structure that would withstand the snow load.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Yes. I never worry about hail storms. No tree gunk or bird mess. Trailer gets put away clean and when I pick it up it’s clean. My front cap gets a little afternoon sun, but the rest is protected.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #10

I have stored my trailer in covered storage every winter. It costs me $250 to store at the local fairgrounds in a barn. I think it’s worth every dime. Keeps the wear and tear of snow and the elements/sun off the trailer. I have a cover for it when it’s in the driveway.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #11

Storing the RV in a covered environment will most likely make it last longer and not deteriorate as quickly. The question is how much will the covered storage cost vs how much will it save? If it’s a $400,000 motorhome and you can store it inside for $200 a month, it’s a no brainer. If we are talking a $12,000 trailer and the rent is $450 a month for the storage, the decision becomes more difficult.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #12

UV light will degrade stuff down there, I'd cover it.

We bought a Carolina Carport for $2400 that our camper is parked under, but we worry about rain, snow and sun up here. Its parked in the side of our backyard. Well worth it in my opinion.

Try www.alansfactoryoutlet.com to get local pricing for you.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #13
Site Team

We have has ours under a Carolina Carport in our back yard for years since day one. IMO, it reduces the chance of roof damage and fading. Not to mention hail damage. Ours has withstood many hurricanes and high wind events with no problems.

Worth every penny. Plus is with a slab under it and power and water, it's a great Man Cave or She Shed!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

If I could afford covered storage I would.

A cover is what I'm going to get.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3belkhunter View Post
Hello,
I have been reading the forum posts for a year now and usually find something of interest each week. Thanks to everyone who responds in a positive manner... My question is it worth the extra money for covered storage versus an open air environment. Here in Arizona, the sun is brutal most of the year. Thanks in advance!
Have you had a chance to visit any of the RV storage areas in the Phoenix area? No doubt you will find it (or have found it) sobering. A new RV will suffer noticeable UV damage after only 18-24 months. All the white plastic trim turns yellow. The black trim looses it shine and turns a faded black-grey. The entire exterior finish (especially the front cap) becomes lackluster and dull. The worst thing is the underlying wood (in the sides, roof trusses, etc.) contracts from lack of moisture opening up seams everywhere on the exterior---leaving you vulnerable to leaks when the monsoons hit.

Covered storage typically costs $100 to $200 a month in AZ. IMO, There's a good chance you may recoup a portion of that in increased resale value (vs. an uncovered RV) assuming your RV is currently in like new condition.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

I rent covered garage storage for $195/mo. and it's worth it for sure. I waited 2 years for it to become available so for 2 years, it was stored outside, albeit in a gated location with wind buffer from other RVs.

With it indoors, it allows me to work on it in winter without the elements of wind, ice, snow. I can leave the doors open and let it air out. The best part is being able to leave everything on the garage floor and not having to clean it all up until I have to.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #17
CAG

If you can afford it, do it. My 5th wheel is 9 years old and has never been stored out of covered or full garage parking. We, here is Arizona have high UV ratings most of the year and some of the other RVs of the same year as ours show it, badly. With ours the finish and decals look like new. Rejex also helps. I apply it at least once a year and more often if I get the chance. You can find information on it at Rejex.com. Good stuff.

Covers for RVs do not work well here either. They dry rot quickly, and will rub on the corners of the trailer with winds. This wears rub spots in the finish.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Storing the RV in a covered environment will most likely make it last longer and not deteriorate as quickly. The question is how much will the covered storage cost vs how much will it save? If it’s a $400,000 motorhome and you can store it inside for $200 a month, it’s a no brainer. If we are talking a $12,000 trailer and the rent is $450 a month for the storage, the decision becomes more difficult.
This is a good point for your consideration.

My 377 is a 2018 and the $1100 per year i pay to store indoors is well worth it. It stays very clean, no bugs, no mold or mildew, easier on caulk/seals/decals, no hail/storm concerns, etc.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #19
CAG

Quote:
If we are talking a $12,000 trailer and the rent is $450 a month for the storage, the decision becomes more difficult.
Perhaps but if you like to keep your things nice and in working order, it might not be as tough. I don't like pulling something that looks 40 years old, has rotted plastic falling off of it, or spending a bunch of time trying to repair sun damage. Tires alone become a major issue when left in the sun here.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #20

Covered Storage vs. Open to the elements

I can give you my .02 on this from experience. When we first purchased our Jayco 5th wheel, we didn't have space for it at home. We got a good deal (at first) on a covered spot with electric at a local RV storage facility. The introduction price was around $75 mo but jumped up to $150 after 3 months. I believe we kept it there about 6 months before moving it off. Since then, it's been parked next to our house and plugged into a 30A connection.

The idea with covered (roof top) parking is partial protection from Sun, Rain and Hail. Since moving our 5'r, it's been 100% exposed to the elements and I've seen some changes over the last year or so - like: The roof gets dirty and the paint and stickers fade a bit. maybe some cracking or peeling in the silicone around the outside. We haven't had any issues with leaking (yet). Our slide outs tend to stay out more than not but I keep them in for the winter. They also have slide out covers on them for extra protection.

I typically blow out the water lines with air so there's no freezing issues, but our rig does have PEX tubing and it does have an insulated underbelly, so I'm not too concerned. If I had the option for covered parking and it was reasonably priced, i'd do it to protect it. I think having a proper cover (not a tarp) would help but I don't want to deal with taking it off/putting it on all the time. Maybe as a winter option?

As long as you're keeping up with basic maintenance, it should be OK either way.

Tags
covered storage, rv storage