Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #1

Is it just me or...?

Quickly rising to the top of my pet peeve list are the campers in the space next door who have to leave their outside “porch” lights blazing all night. I’m talking piercing, multi-LED arrays that are like small suns shining into our bedroom window in the dead of night. The stock Jayco accordion blinds are no match for these things. The newer the trailer, the brighter they are. Is it me, or is leaving these on all night just bad camping manners? Don’t tell me it’s for security — these are nicer, safe RV parks. Are they just showing off that they have enough wattage to light up an airfield? Do they think about their fellow campers? OK thanks for the vent session. I’ll forego the rest of my peeve list...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #2

If you complain, expect an even brighter light the following night. That seems to be the way to handle people complaining.

Old fashioned manners were left in the last century it seems.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #3

TZhe answer is either they are rude, or don't know any better. The best way is if you see one of them out offer a beer from a distance. Then mention that their lights bother you.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #4

Awning and side lights often ruin your chances to see the night sky, and an emerging trend are the under-rig color changing lights. Make you feel like you are on the Las Vegas strip.

I wish campgrounds would post a rule like they do for quiet-time hours. Lights out/quiet time simultaneously.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I think you should add one of these to your camping supplies... Problem solved!

Quick question, do all your neighbors up and down the street at home, turn off their porch lights at night?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post

Quick question, do all your neighbors up and down the street at home, turn off their porch lights at night?
I live in a city where the ambient light is such that only the brightest stars shine through. But when I'm in a campground in the mountains of New Hampshire or in the desert of New Mexico I would like to be able to go out and see the Milky Way. In both places I had occasions where my chances were drowned out by neighbors who "kept 'em blazing" all night long despite a polite request to turn them down after-hours.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #7

I think we all ought to mention that when we camp, dark sky laws should apply. There are a lot of cities in AZ that have dark sky laws and the campgrounds have to obey them. Maybe we can start something here.

I don't want to wear eye coverings when I go out to see the stars or take night photography.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
OK thanks for the vent session. I’ll forego the rest of my peeve list...
Just wondering... Do you like Bacon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
I think we all ought to mention that when we camp, dark sky laws should apply. There are a lot of cities in AZ that have dark sky laws and the campgrounds have to obey them. Maybe we can start something here.
What about the people who want some ambient light, since they're camping in an unknown campsite, and want to feel safe, or need some light when they take their dog out on it's final walk of the night?
Old 07-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:

Nope, neither do I, but my bedroom window isn’t 8 feet from their porch and our porch lights aren’t horizontal LED spotlights. Total apples and oranges comparison.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Just wondering... Do you like Bacon?

Huh? Must’ve missed something here.

What about the people who want some ambient light, since they're camping in an unknown campsite, and want to feel safe, or need some light when they take their dog out on it's final walk of the night?
Low-watt ambient light to take out the dog is one thing. Stadium lights are another. Or there are things called flashlights. If you feel that unsafe in a nice, upscale RV park, maybe a hotel would be a better option. JMHO.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #11

I’ve noticed the annoying lights really aren’t for lighting the surroundings only a statement of “hey! Lookit me, ain’t I cool!” and is often accompanied by loud music. Presumably so the poor-sighted can also enjoy the show.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Low-watt ambient light to take out the dog is one thing. Stadium lights are another. Or there are things called flashlights. If you feel that unsafe in a nice, upscale RV park, maybe a hotel would be a better option. JMHO.
I prefer State Parks over commercial RV parks, and there's zero lights at them, so any lights on other rigs is a bonus.

Plus, I don't camp/park in a site that is 8 feet away from the next camper, so there's that too.... I prefer at least TEN times that... but that's just me!
Old 07-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #13

What happened to the day when you would just go over and ask the people if they would turn the light off when quiet hours start? I have done this quite often, maybe I'm the the odd man out but people I've asked have always obliged, most apologizing because they didn't know they light was bright enough to bother the neighbors.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
What happened to the day when you would just go over and ask the people if they would turn the light off when quiet hours start? I have done this quite often, maybe I'm the the odd man out but people I've asked have always obliged, most apologizing because they didn't know they light was bright enough to bother the neighbors.
I’ve thought about that, and probably will one of these days. Guess I don’t feel like knocking on their (well-lit) door at 10 pm. A towel over the window has usually worked.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #15

If you want to get even, go to the auto parts store and buy a universal (2 leg) turn signal blinker and plug it into your trailer pigtail in pin #s 3 & 4. All of your running light and tail lights will blink like crazy!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Plus, I don't camp/park in a site that is 8 feet away from the next camper, so there's that too.... I prefer at least TEN times that... but that's just me!
So do I, but they are rare as hen’s teeth out here. So, guess I won’t have to worry about your lights!
Old 07-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If you want to get even, go to the auto parts store and buy a universal (2 leg) turn signal blinker and plug it into your trailer pigtail in pin #s 3 & 4. All of your running light and tail lights will blink like crazy!

Murff
Unfortunately, from some of the displays I’ve seen, some might actually love that!
Old 07-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #18

We were camping at a private campground near Rhinelander, WI last weekend and one of the many rules was that all exterior lighting had to be turned off during quiet hours (10:00 PM - 7:00 AM) except for amber porch lights.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Just wondering... Do you like Bacon? :rolleyes
Just saw the “bacon post.” Yep I love bacon and would welcome such neighbors. Outdoor cooking is part of camping. Again, not quite the same.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
So do I, but they are rare as hen’s teeth out here. So, guess I won’t have to worry about your lights!
Actually, I'm glad you started this thread. I forgot to order the blue LED strip lights I want to put around the exterior bottom perimeter of my rig. I just ordered from Amazon, so I'll have a project to do in a few days!