Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2021, 02:53 AM   #1

Is it legal to go through an interstate highway without enough seat belts?

Some states require everyone to wear seat belts, but other states do not require passengers above a certain age in back seats to wear a seat belt.
For example, 6 people total, but RV has 5 seat belts only. Go from GA to VA, going through SC and NC.

Suppose:
SC and NC required all occupants to wear seat belts.
GA and VA do not required passengers (above certain age) in back seats to wear seat belts.

It is not easy to ask dealer/auto shop to install additional seat belts because of liability issue. Any solutions?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Some states require everyone to wear seat belts, but other states do not require passengers above a certain age in back seats to wear a seat belt.
For example, 6 people total, but RV has 5 seat belts only. Go from GA to VA, going through SC and NC.

Suppose:
SC and NC required all occupants to wear seat belts.
GA and VA do not required passengers (above certain age) in back seats to wear seat belts.

It is not easy to ask dealer/auto shop to install additional seat belts because of liability issue. Any solutions?
It's just like you stated...State by State and does it apply to motorhomes, that probably varies too.

Several states sill allow people to ride in a travel trailer or fifth-wheel while on the road. Would I let my kids or friends ride in them. NO!

One would assume if you can ride in a TT or FW you could be in a MH without a seatbelt.

States That Allow Riders In Travel Trailers: Arizona, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas*, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and North Carolina.

States That Allow Riders In 5th Wheel Trailers: Arizona, California*, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas*, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon*, Pennsylvania*, South Dakota*, West Virginia and Wisconsin*.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

There are 100s of these pictures just Google them. I would never have an animal or loved one riding in the back without at least a seatbelt. This one received just a little hit compared to the other pictures I found.
For me it would be never
Attached Thumbnails
E907FD5B-BE1E-422A-A973-C2718453F891.jpeg  
Old 06-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

Any RV dealer/auto shop can install additional seat belts? Or can I do it myself? It is not easy since they must be tied down to the chassis under floor.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Any RV dealer/auto shop can install additional seat belts? Or can I do it myself? It is not easy since they must be tied down to the chassis under floor.
Only bolted through the floor or the slide-out floor. Bolts and fender washers is
all you need. If in the slide floor just be sure they are recessed so as to not drag.

Doubt dealer or any shop will do it for liability reasons.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Only bolted through the floor or the slide-out floor. Bolts and fender washers is
all you need. If in the slide floor just be sure they are recessed so as to not drag.

Doubt dealer or any shop will do it for liability reasons.
Thanks. How to verify if the installed seat belts conform to federal or any related laws? what is the force rating?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. How to verify if the installed seat belts conform to federal or any related laws? what is the force rating?
I think you are over thinking this at this point. I run a bus company with a fleet of over 100 motorcoaches (Prevost, Vanhool and Temsa) a few years ago we retrofit all our older coaches with seat belts.

Each of our buses is inspected by a NYS DOT Inspector every 6 months. Not once did any inspector ever ask about the retro fit seat belts ratings. They did however inspect the way we installed them and as always tested for proper functionality.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Whether legal or not, driving with a passenger without a seat belt is pure lunacy.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #9

I do not know the various state laws. MHs from what I have seen fall closer to a bus laws, than a car laws when it comes to seat belts. What I have seen that is consistent; those sitting in the front cab must wear a seat belt.

This website might be helpful. https://camperguide.org/rv-seat-belt-laws-by-state/

Hot rods do diy seat belts all the time. I have not heard of any issues or lawsuits or insurance companies in regard to installing them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote