Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Is it ok to not unhitch?

I've found myself in another tricky narrow campsite and feel it would save myself a lot of trouble and problems if I leave my vehicle hitched up the entire 3 night stay at our camp ground. Is this ok and is there anything I should do if I am leaving it hitched up the entire time? The tv is on an angle plus sloped down a bit and I can tell it will be very hard to get tounge above ball. Plus hitching back up will be another problem so I feel leaving it hitched would be best. Is this ok? I have a Jayfeather 16XRB. Help! This trip has already been a bit of a nightmare for this newbie.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

Fellow 16XRB owner here. If you feel it's safer, sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Obvious pitfalls are:
- not much you can do to level your trailer
- won't be able to drive your rig
More experienced folks; please correct me, if this also-newbie is missing something.
It'd probably be a good idea to unplug power cable to not drain tow-veh batt.
fricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #3

Don't see why not as long as you don't need a vehicle for that time and can deal with the unlevel camper. Is the level bad enough to effect the fridge operation?
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

No problem at all with that. I would probably try to unhook the weight distribution bars to take a little strain off but other than that I don't see an issue.

One other potential issue is if you have an emergency and need to rush somewhere you can't just drive away.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
M&A

I've left my 16XRB connected for a three day weekend. I did loosen the bars and unplugged the 7-pin. No issues.

What I really like - a place to kick back and not go/do anything for three days.

Enjoy your camper!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #6

Won't cause an issue. When we've stopped for one night at level campgrounds on our way to a destination, I have left it all hooked up a few times. I will still lower the front jack just enough to take some weight off my truck which in turn also takes some weight off the WDH bars. It will help make the camper a little more stable.

And as suggested, I do unplug the 7pin connector from the truck.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

I wouldn't worry. I have done this many times, especially for quick pull overs at a KOA on en route. You can level it side to side with blocks under the wheels, and as long as its close to level front to back your set. I even lift the back of the TV a hair, but not too much, and then I try to stay out of TV as moving it around can pull down on the trailer.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

I would ask for a different site, if none available do as other have said and enjoy.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

When stopping over for overnight only, I rarely unhook. Level as normal, which usually also pulls up the rear of my truck a few inches. No problem. Ready to go in the morning with minimum fuss and bother. Go for it, and enjoy your camping!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the help. Being our 3rd trip with our trailer I find I keep getting tricky situations mostly due to the fact that I choose sites on the water which are not ideal for trailers. After the long drive to get here and then the hour of trying to back in and position the trailer it's been trying to say the least. This site is just slightly wider then my trailer and vehicle hitched together with cliffs all around. What a view but quite a pain to get in here. Won't be back on this site ever again! Surprised your even allowed a trailer on here.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
snip...
After the long drive to get here and then the hour of trying to back in and position the trailer it's been trying to say the least.
....snip
Ah, the RV life. Nothing but fun and relaxation!

From your description, you're getting into places on your 3rd trip more experienced RVers don't attempt. I salute your perseverance.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #12

We do it all the time. But, do disconnect the 7pin connector.

I also like to extend the trailer jacks and block the wheels (parking brakes will not hold very well by themselves).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #13

As mentioned disconnect the 7 pin electrical connection. If the 12V that charges your battery isn't on a switched circuit, it could kill the battery in the TV if there for a while. I wouldn't risk it. Might as well disconnect the WD bars as well.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #14

When we overnight, we also don't unhitch many times and just level the trailer as normal since our WDH has already gotten us close to level to begin with. The only thing I can add that hasn't been mentioned and may be obvious to some is that I make sure that when calling to reserve/check availability, I make sure to tell the campground that I do not plan to unhitch and need a site able to accommodate my 60 ft length, which usually ends up being a pull thru.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #15
BJR

Quote:
The tv is on an angle plus sloped down a bit and I can tell it will be very hard to get tounge above ball.
Just to address this point, you can or should put leveler blocks or wood under the jack. It helps in this situation but also cuts down on the cranking you'll have to do.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

I do it (not unhitching) a lot. Obviously, I don't in Walmart type places. But there have been other times when I didn't unhitch. I've been to some away football games, and didn't unhitch. I wasn't going to need the truck while there. And if there was an emergency run to a store or something, there was someone in the group that had an unattached vehicle.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
When stopping over for overnight only, I rarely unhook. Level as normal, which usually also pulls up the rear of my truck a few inches. No problem. Ready to go in the morning with minimum fuss and bother. Go for it, and enjoy your camping!

Roger
X2 here as well
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #18

X3 on disconnecting the 7-pin connector from the tow vehicle. Totally forgot to recommend it. Even when I connect the trailer to the park's 30-amp service. I do NOT want to risk draining the battery in my truck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the help. Being our 3rd trip with our trailer I find I keep getting tricky situations mostly due to the fact that I choose sites on the water which are not ideal for trailers. After the long drive to get here and then the hour of trying to back in and position the trailer it's been trying to say the least. This site is just slightly wider then my trailer and vehicle hitched together with cliffs all around. What a view but quite a pain to get in here. Won't be back on this site ever again! Surprised your even allowed a trailer on here.
Being a newbie myself I know what you're going through but can't believe how fast I learned how to back my 26bh up. At first I had no confidence and thought it was gonna take me months and at least 10+ trips. After being put into situations like you're explaining on our last trip it got me confident and now I have no problem backing up into my driveway, storage spot and pulling in and out of gas stations. I even had to do it at night once and didn't lose my cool. Just take it slow and you will get the hang of it in no time.
Would love to see pics if you have time to post. GL!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #20

Backing up is easy! LOL

Just remember that you don't have to get it perfect the first try. The trucker's motto, GOAL. Get Out And Look, and do it often. If it looks wrong pull forward and make adjustments. Even as many years as I have been doing it, I still may take two or three shots at a spot.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote