Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #21

Look, nothing has changed. People did the same stuff when I was a kid that they are doing now. There were 'entitled' kids back then just as there are now. And there were old fa*ts back then saying the youngsters are all irresponsible idiots who will ruin everything.

I've received bad service at various places over the years at about the same frequency. Yep, even back in the 60's and 70's. Wrong parts picked off the shelf. Leaving out an oil plug. Desk clerks ignoring me while they discuss when their next break is. No need to think the sky is falling. Low level employees have always been underpaid and subject to making serious mistakes. Employers have always cut the number of employees and pay to make the most profit.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Look, nothing has changed. People did the same stuff when I was a kid that they are doing now. There were 'entitled' kids back then just as there are now. And there were old fa*ts back then saying the youngsters are all irresponsible idiots who will ruin everything.

I've received bad service at various places over the years at about the same frequency. Yep, even back in the 60's and 70's. Wrong parts picked off the shelf. Leaving out an oil plug. Desk clerks ignoring me while they discuss when their next break is. No need to think the sky is falling. Low level employees have always been underpaid and subject to making serious mistakes. Employers have always cut the number of employees and pay to make the most profit.

Perfectly said.

Don't fall into the generational trap that makes you assume you're better than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #23

[QUOTE=Camper_bob;547537]There is virtually no focus on trade skills or training for skilled labor (which is where TONS of available jobs are)./QUOTE]

This is a genuine issue. I am a technical service advisor and technical instructor for a major HVAC manufacturer (heating and air conditioning for those of you not familiar with the acronym). As an industry, we are losing service technicians (mostly to retirement) at a rate 10 times higher than new technicians are entering the industry. Many HVAC programs at vocational training centers and community colleges have been shut down for lack of interest. Many HVAC contractors I talk to are starting to see the beginning stages of what will be a severe shortage of qualified technicians. The good news for qualified technicians is that their pay scale will increase drastically as the shortage gets more severe. The bad news for consumers is that the cost of repairs will rise along with the wages of the technicians.
10canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #24

I go looking for a dealer/restaurant/supplier/etc where I receive the service I expect. And I'm willing to pay for the service. Examples: My year old pickup had a vibration at 45mph that wouldn't quit. The dealer went over the entire drivetrain several times, road forced, rebalanced and rotated the tires at least 6 times. We were looking at a possible tranny issue when one tech realized one tire looked strange when they were rechecking the driveshaft. Turned out it was slightly out of round. He checked all 4 tires and it turned out both rears were slightly out of round. While the tires were covered at 60% by the OEM (OEM vehicle warranty), the dealer replaced both at no charge. Then picked up a slight vibration in the front, pulled all weights from both wheels after finding 1 weight had been thrown. Cleaned the rims and rebalanced. Again no charge though not a warranty issue.

As for Amazon, I ordered running boards for my previous truck. Ordered the mounting brackets as listed online. Found out the wrong brackets sent when getting ready to mount. Checked back online and I had ordered the correct brackets (they sent the correct ordered brackets). Double checked the board's manufacturer's site and had a different number for the bracket. I called Amazon, explained the issue and the CR contacted the manufacturer and verified the online listing was wrong. He closed the listing, ordered the correct brackets and overnighted at no charge. I was sent a prepaid RMA for the wrong brackets. And 2 days later, the online listing was back up and correct.

You need to pick and choose who you deal with.

The CW dealer I bought my current trailer from took 6 hours to "set up" my WDH. They didn't bother to tighten the saddles for the bars and when I went back to them, they said that was the correct installation. Add to that I had to contact corp. to get a copy of the bill of sale.
I go to another CW for warranty work, mentioned the sliding saddles, and they said they would call in two days to let me know where things were. They did all issue under warranty, ordering a part from Jayco and said the part was expected on the following Tuesday. When I came in to pick up the truck, they asked for the keys, hooked up the trailer and went over the entire hitch, locking the saddles where they should be, made sure everything was right, asked me to sign off on the work and sent me on my way....NO CHARGE. World of difference between the two stores, each about 80 miles away from home. No need to guess which store will get my business.

And then some people just have bad karma. Don't fight it, just find someone who you can trust and tries to treat you the same way they hope to be treated.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #25

FWIW, I do not order through Amazon. Their employee practices put Walmart to shame. If I want something I order it from the seller. If the seller only sells through Amazon then I buy somewhere else.

And, no, I do not look for the lowest price I can find. That just encourages places like Amazon to do even worse with their employees.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #26
Site Team

IMO, that is why Amazon is so successful.. Customer service plus you are the one ordering and you make a mistake, they still make it right.

There is no more work ethic unless you are the sole proprietor and if you don't have one your business will not be here long.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
that instead of lemonade, someone had filled their cups with margarita mix...the kind that already has the alcohol in it!

So, for about an hour while we sat at dinner, my two young grand children drank several ounces of a beverage containing tequila!

This very thing just happened in my town recently!
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
IMO, that is why Amazon is so successful.. Customer service plus you are the one ordering and you make a mistake, they still make it right...
Declining customer service quality, bad listings, pathetically poor packaging, prices not always the lowest, offshore customer service reps that don't understand English, and Amazon's use of their incompetent delivery "service" are reasons I've been boycotting Amazon (except for
e-books). Once upon a time, long, long ago, I got excellent service from Amazon but that changed for me.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #29

The Canadian side of Amazon absolutely sucks. Product availability is next to nothing and prices are literally double or sometimes more than south of the border. It's a complete joke. Canadians are better off ordering off the American site and shipping to a US address.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #30

So all of this being said;

Is the world the way it is on a large scale due to the way people are on a small scale? Is it this type of incompetency and lack of care on an individual, daily level that collaborates into the widespread problems we all are seeing and dealing with?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Declining customer service quality, bad listings, pathetically poor packaging,....are reasons I've been boycotting Amazon (except for
e-books). .
I'm boycotting the too! (We'll, except for the stuff I'm still going to buy from them).
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #32

Amazon has one of those interesting business models. It is too bad they adopted such poor HR practices. I had a lot of respect for them until they did that.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Amazon has one of those interesting business models. It is too bad they adopted such poor HR practices. I had a lot of respect for them until they did that.
I'm going to have to look at this. That's one of the reasons I avoid WM as much as I possibly can.

I have a client who works at one of Amazon's distribution warehouses, and she's had a pretty good experience: decent wage, benefits starting on day one, she likes the work... All that with virtually no warehouse/shipping experience up front.

I have to agree with the others that say the "current" generation always thinks the "next" generation is going to "ruin everything" (Chicken Little anyone?). It seems to happen with each generation. Also, people who are rude, self-entitled, incompetent, etc are not generational. Millennials don't have a corner on that market any more than any other generation.

All that being said, I think people should generally be more compassionate, more empathetic, more aware, less judgemental, and less dependent on technology. I think if we could all do more of that, the world would be a better place.

ETA: The story about the Margaritas is a good example. The restaurant cannot go back in time and remove those drinks from the table. So they did everything they could possibly do to mitigate an unfortunate situation. They owned it, they resolved to fix it, and they did everything they could to make the family financially whole; there is really nothing more they could do. To sue them or smear them all over the news is totally unnecessary (and part of our problem as a society). Again, take a deep breath and analyze the situation. Park your anger in the corner for a little bit while you decide if it really needs to come out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote