Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
Site Team

It's not silly, it is a fact of life. RV dealers are not like auto dealers in that their relationship to the manufacturers are not the same.

First all, as as been stated here, you just cut them out of some profit to run their business and be available to work on the rigs that they do sell. Most will not refuse to work on your rig that you bought some where else, but rather will give priority to their customers.

You may be nicely told to wait at the back of the line. Try calling RVdirect for some warranty service.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
That just silly...

If I take a Jayco to a Jayco dealer, I expect service regardless of where I bought it. Otherwise I'd be calling Jayco.

Given that the profit margin is likely higher on services anyways...it's just plain dumb.
Call away...RV dealers are NOT franchises, manufacturer only recourse is to no longer sell a particular dealer RVs for them to resale, don't think Jayco is going to cut off their customer.

No of us like it, but it is the way it is with RVs. Most will not flat out refuse warranty work, but most will not give any priority to a local "non-buyer" and some will expect you to pay in full and then accept the reimbursement from Jayco.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
Site Team

So yes the are legit, their business model is to eliminate the overhead expense on a maintenance and warranty department.
If you don't mind taking your chances on getting warranty work you can save some $$ up front but don't get upset when you need work done and your local dealer wants to take care of his loyal customers first.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #24

I don't have a Jayco dealer anywhere near me. I am half heartedly looking for a New one. Found the model and floor plan I want and have talked with them a few months ago. Got a quote that was 32% below MSRP on a 2015 model. Not a problem for me to drive to Indiana to pick it up. Just haven't pulled the trigger. Thanks P25ct for the heads up on things to look at and consider. I can actually go to Albany easier than Indiana as work takes me there regularly.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
I don't have a Jayco dealer anywhere near me. I am half heartedly looking for a New one. Found the model and floor plan I want and have talked with them a few months ago. Got a quote that was 32% below MSRP on a 2015 model. Not a problem for me to drive to Indiana to pick it up. Just haven't pulled the trigger. Thanks P25ct for the heads up on things to look at and consider. I can actually go to Albany easier than Indiana as work takes me there regularly.
Bought mine from their Albany facility and saved about 4 K. And they do have a service department, but that matters little if you are 430 miles away after purchase. Luckily mine has never been back to a dealer for anything in nearly 6 years, I have fixed the few small issues I`ve had myself.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #26

For a person like me who has zero trailer repair skills not having access to someone that can fix things is discouraging. Our last trailer was a 2007 Jayfeather 218 which i bought locally [Camping World) and had to take back during warranty period for some repairs. They took it in right away and fixed problems quickly. I am considering a new Jayco purchase but CW is way over the top on their price relative to RV Direct but..but..the old repair bug- a- boo problem will probably keep me a local buyer but not at this time and/orat the dealers price point.
nephi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #27

RV direct has dealers all over and even if not near me I'd still buy from the cheapest place. I'm not going to pay many thousands more because of the chance of warranty issues. The local jayco dealer for me is Chesaco on rt301 and I would never do business with them or let them touch my trailer. They lied to us and belittled my wife when we walked away from them. Took over a month to get my deposit back. I'll gladly drive if I can't fix it. There is always legal recourse too...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #28

Chesaco is TERRIBLE. For any future needs or new campers I highly recommend Keystone RV Mega Center in Greencastle PA. They darn near matched RV Direct's pricing and sell a LOT of campers. They also have a large service department and parts department. They are right off I81, 1 exit inside Pennsylvania.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #29

I did not buy from RV Direct but did buy from a dealer that works on the same concept. Luckily my dealer is in Route 66 network and I was told Route 66 dealers will work on my unit under warranty. I was also told that Jayco has in their dealer agreement that they must preform service of Jayco products. I'm sorry these dealers have to be making money in these service departments. The last one I was in KC was 119.00 a hour. Like the local Chevy dealer Service Manager told me I'm back here to turn a profit. I don't sell them, and if they can't figure out how to sell them up front I don't know what to do.
B & W Companion

Central MO
MOCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #30

new post

Purchased Jayco 2011- 242 feather select-27ft. 5in. need to have it pulled from Guelph, Ontario, Canada to lake Land ,Florida in the next 3 months. Anyone direct me to a good hauler outfit.
Ty Fred
gogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogeh View Post
Purchased Jayco 2011- 242 feather select-27ft. 5in. need to have it pulled from Guelph, Ontario, Canada to lake Land ,Florida in the next 3 months. Anyone direct me to a good hauler outfit.
Ty Fred
Welcome to the forum. You may get more views and a better response if you post a new thread with your question.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #32
Site Team

I think the posts about bad dealer service experience is another point that should be considered. Just because a dealer is local and you buy from them does not mean they are good at service or will get you fixed right up. A bad dealer is a bad dealer 5 miles away or 500. If you gotta good one close by though with quality service and a sales staff that treats you with respect, that`s worth a few more bucks.....
Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Chesaco is TERRIBLE. For any future needs or new campers I highly recommend Keystone RV Mega Center in Greencastle PA. They darn near matched RV Direct's pricing and sell a LOT of campers. They also have a large service department and parts department. They are right off I81, 1 exit inside Pennsylvania.

Yep we drove a little over two hours to buy from Keystone in Pa.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote