Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Is RV Direct Legit?

I am negotiating with my local dealer and he is saying the price RV Direct is giving me is bs! He says they bate and switch. It's 3k less then what they are giving me and it has the elite package. Please advise? Thanks
1973nader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

They have numerous dealerships and several people on the forum have bought from them. Also, they are not the only dealership that does on-line sales under a different business name.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Can't speak for RV Direct, but thervexpress.com is legit in the price they quote you. The only down side is the drive back to Middleberry Indiana to pick it up, but the drive back to AZ was nice. I used them this year to, order my new 5er. Was happy with the price but had a couple administrative glitches I had to deal with after taking possession.

If you want more info feel free to PM me.
dpi7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

A few threads that may be helpful:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...them-9147.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...rect-1683.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ect-25402.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

Thanks everyone the local dealer just gave me what I wanted. It's still a higher price but I would rather keep it local and not drive 40 hours if you know what I mean.
1973nader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

We bought our first TT (X23B) from RV Direct. We had a good experience. never needed dealer warranty service. Some dealers will not service a rig bought elsewhere. I expect your salesperson doesn't want to price match. Their general discount is 30% and some buyers use that as a negotiation tool.
The downside is there aren't many pickup locations (they are regular brick n stick RV dealers) so you may have to travel a bit for pickup and getting warranty, service may be an issue. We went from Houston to Orlando to get ours, made a mini vacation out of it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Yes, they are legit and potentially worth $3000 in savings. I was fortunate to have a local dealer order me a trailer with the options and colors I wanted for about $300 more than RVDirect quoted me. Saved me from making a trip and I have a local dealer. Wasn't worth the drive for $300... it would be worth it for $3000 though...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #8

I believe they are - my dealer matched their price for the trailer, but did add in their delivery and prep charge. I felt better about buying local anyway.
Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

100% legit. I've bought 2 new units from them..
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 PM   #10

My local dealer wanted over $4k more than rvdirect.com/RV One and wouldn't budge (first price was $6k over!). The local dealer has a "free" warranty and used that as justification. My research led me to believe the "free" warranty bit was a revenue generator for the dealer and not a real benefit to most customers.

As far as RV One, so far so good for me. I just received notification today my unit is estimated to be off line August 28. I've had good contact with the salesperson. I'll update more experiences as I get further down the road.
TobyMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #11

Duplicate Post...
TobyMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973nader View Post
Thanks everyone the local dealer just gave me what I wanted. It's still a higher price but I would rather keep it local and not drive 40 hours if you know what I mean.
My experience is that when buying out West you're going to pay $2-3K more because of transportation costs. Everyone always says expect 30% off but they might live a lot closer to Indiana!

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
My experience is that when buying out West you're going to pay $2-3K more because of transportation costs. Everyone always says expect 30% off but they might live a lot closer to Indiana!
Exactly! The further west you live the more the savings. I saved $6,000 by ordering my new rig on line and then driving from Arizona to Indiana to pick up my 5er this summer. Some may think it is a wash in gas and other campground fees, but if it is planed as a regular vacation I see it as no extra expense. If you just making a bonsai trip out to get the rig and back may not be as much of a savings, but you will still save some if you live in the western states like the OP.
dpi7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpi7800 View Post
Exactly! The further west you live the more the savings. I saved $6,000 by ordering my new rig on line and then driving from Arizona to Indiana to pick up my 5er this summer. Some may think it is a wash in gas and other campground fees, but if it is planed as a regular vacation I see it as no extra expense. If you just making a bonsai trip out to get the rig and back may not be as much of a savings, but you will still save some if you live in the western states like the OP.
I think you meant East...

Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #15

I purchased from Albany office of Direct back in March of '14. Purchased a stock unit that was in Buffalo since December. Put down deposit (great great price) and was locked into that serial number and financing was secured. Loan written. I was to pick up in Albany in April. I got a call two days prior to PDI day saying they needed to replace the front jack because their company that moves them bent the leg because he didn't raise it all the way up? I'll never know the full story behind this. I had an additional AC unit installed in bedroom, as this one didn't have one. After PDI, I went up on the roof and found the dragged it in the rubber, put a few small 1/2" holes in it and didn't repair it or tell me about it. On PDI I was discouraged from going up there. Later when queried the service department, they claimed they did no such damage. Luckily I picked it up and had it indoors so no water intrusion occurred. I paid for the repair of the roof. Brand new. Lastly, they transported it from Indiana to Buffalo in winter with salt ladened roads. Sat in Buffalo outdoors in snow pack without an underbelly rinse until they pulled it out in Spring to bring to Albany. I as a buyer really screwed up by not getting on top of the roof or under the rug to look. At the time their service department was having labor issues and he Albany facility is a new facility and service seems to be better since then. I have nothing but the best to say about Jeff from sales. The original woman I worked with was awful. Rude and acted like she was doing me some sort of favor and I was a nuisance in my questions (major purchase reminder). Jeff is the goto guy. Don't remember the other gals name however I have to think with that attitude you won't last. Interesting side note, I drove to Albany right before I put a deposit down to see another coach. I went up unannounced. I found the female salesperson and long story short after driving hours they said it's not here it's in Florida. Well bull. It was there. It showed online in their inventory until months later. There is some reason they didn't want me to see that rig. Lots of let me talk to my manager behind the scenes before I left. They have hundreds of units spread across many lots so finding it on my own was a losing proposition. I did drive to a few I can find and looked and she drove me around a few lots before suddenly it was there any more. Finally, I have a Jayco dealer here in state that refuses to even talk to me on the phone because I bought it from them. They wanted 25$k more for the same rig. I'm using a Jayco dealer out of state now. For final warranty work. My suggestion: don't buy a stock unit, have them order it from Jayco. Price will be about the same. Be prepared to go there when it arrives. Don't let them rush you through the PDI. Take pictures and copious notes. Check everything. I was a first time RV buyer and they saw me coming. Their PDI guy was good, but he knew how to walk me around that thing. Make sure they document all issues even if they seem small. Later they may be big deals for warranty work. Finally make sure you have a Jayco dealer nearby you speak to ahead of time that is willing to do warranty work for you, is good, and won't charge you difference between their shop rate per hour and what Jayco pays per hour plus any additional hours above what Jayco pays the dealer for.

Lastly for trade in, they give well well below NADA trade value. They have to. It's a whosale price. If you're buying a new unit the savings off MSRPn(usually 40 percent) will make up for the loss on the trade. Financing however depending on how deep your pockets are and how much down you put may be difficult.

Would aI do it again? Answer yes, through Jeff, and taking my own advice learned the hard way. Good luck!!
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #16

Is RV Direct Legit?

They are legit. My sister law bought a trailer from them this past January. No bait and switch. Sounds like your local dealer is giving the bs lol...

When we buy or next one, I will definitely check RV direct. I wasn't aware of RV direct when I bought our current trailer...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:36 AM   #17

Bought our first one there and saved about $6k on an X18D. Looking at the X254 and it's about $8-9k less than the dealers here so we may be taking another 3,000 mile road trip.

RV Direct was awesome to work with and everything was perfect.

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
Bought our first one there and saved about $6k on an X18D. Looking at the X254 and it's about $15k less than the dealers here so we may be taking another 3,000 mile road trip.

RV Direct was awesome to work with and everything was perfect.
$15K less??

BTW, love our X254 so far!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #19

Sorry, we only have a few local dealers who aren't willing to budge much off of retail price. I assumed locals would be around MSRP but they are less. But RV Direct is about $8-9k less than local.

Last time when we said how about splitting the difference, the local dealers said, "No thanks. We're sure it won't be worth your time and all the cost to travel to IA." They were wrong. It was an awesome road trip for our kids. Now our kids are even older and will remember it more. And I wanna see those bridges of Madison County that we missed the first time!

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Some dealers will not service a rig bought elsewhere.
That just silly...

If I take a Jayco to a Jayco dealer, I expect service regardless of where I bought it. Otherwise I'd be calling Jayco.

Given that the profit margin is likely higher on services anyways...it's just plain dumb.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote