Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #21

I am kind of hoping there is a bust. Been looking for a new TV for 6 months. Really do not want to buy new. Newer used prices are more than ordering a new truck (that is wrong). There are lots of 1/2 tons on the market, a few 3/4 tons and almost no 1 tons. Of course I want a 1 ton, as we know we are planning a new camper hopefully next year, and want to ensure enough truck.

So a TT & TV bust would be great for me.

As for fuel prices, they are always jumping around, and I just stopped paying attention to the price and I just fill the tank when it is needed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 11:16 AM   #22

My avatar picture shows a good fuel efficient camper.

It does however take a bit longer to reach the campground.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:42 PM   #23

This is a completely unscientific personal observation but I am wondering if it has already started. Even with Fuel prices down a bit, I'm seeing a few less campers
We are at a Beachfront Florida state park (which I'll leave unnamed for the time being) and have seen campsites empty multiple nights. This includes waterfront sites.. Been coming here for many years & have never seen this many open sites. Will be moving to a new park in a couple of days and report if seeing same.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #24
Site Team

I've noticed more units showing up at the small local dealer here. They were down to 4 new ones on the lot at a point in time.

Gas prices won't stop us from having fun this season. I'm not commuting 50 miles a day anymore since I retired. The trips reserved this year so far is only a touch over 1000 miles.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:42 PM   #25

We drove past several dealers between Nashville and the Smokies this past week. I saw no signs of empty lots at RV dealers anywhere. Car and truck dealers? That's a different story.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:44 PM   #26
Site Team

Our local RV dealer (Forest River) is stocked to the gills right now plus some located at a separate storage lot a mile away. Six months ago that had absolutely no new inventory. It looks like at least on the surface, things are starting to get back to a little bit of normalcy in at least the supply side of the market.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:20 AM   #27

My experiences from owning a couple RV Parks in the 90's is that serious, senior RV'rs will divert funds from other areas of their budget to cover higher fuel costs, RV Park rent increase(s), etc..

But that was the 90's and the Greatest Generation was still on the road. Boomers were still in the workforce. I owned a park beginning 2002 and could already see younger people coming into the lifestyle, if only for weekends.

All this has changed radically over the past 20 years it's hard to gage the impacts of COVID, boomers retiring, etc.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:00 AM   #28

I think what people are saying here is mostly true. I thankful I bought my last motorhome a year before the boom. If prices really fall I'll look at upgrading if I find a deal. The fuel price thing is a shock but I plan to hold on to my RV.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:14 AM   #29

I believe the RV bust is already occurring.

5 years ago, I got the 38' Eagle you see in my handle new for $30k after discounts. Similar unit now costs $53k after discounts.

My truck was $67k and now is over $80k, if you can even find one.

When I bought mine, sales were flat. Now you're asking a new RVer to shell out a crazy amount more for the same setup. For that $30k, you'd be buying a 26' with aluminum siding.

Last I checked, everyone didn't suddenly become richer.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:44 PM   #30

As far as the RV Bust, today I got a letter from the salesman where I bought my RV 1.5 years ago basically saying "Hey hope all is well, if your looking to upgrade or want a different model, let me know" That tells me he is bored and sales are slow.
In my area all dealers are packed. Also went looking at a F250 and it was marked 15K over sticker price
Old 03-21-2022, 11:12 PM   #31

We are on a trip on the West Coast, almost the same trip we made 6 months ago. Two things; 1). All of the RV Dealers we see here are stocked to the fences, many were almost empty 6 months ago. Soon after Covid hit, I predicted in RVTravel that we would see prices start to fall once the Covid buyer recognized that they had to maintain and pay to store their vehicles, whether they were being used or not. 6 weeks ago in one of the online RV magazines they reported that used RV prices flattened out and were beginning to fall. I think they are going to fall a lot more when the Covid buyers recongize that RV's are not toys that they can play with and put away until the next time they want to play.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas mileage, inflation