Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Is there a significant premium to Jayco brand?

Never owned a Jayco, but looking at a USED 2017 Jayco 273 for $21,900. The MSRP was around $40k. On the other hand, I am also looking at a NEW Dutchman Coleman with the same EXACT floor plan and options for $20,499. The floor plans are literally identical, as are the options down to the last detail. From a feature perspective, the only advantage goes to the Jayco for being 6" wider and 1' longer.

However, the Jayco is 1 year old and has NO warranty AND is also $1400 more. The Dutchman is new and comes with a 3 year warranty. If both were same year, same price, same warranty, we'd pick the Jayco for the nicer appearance and wider/longer space. I am told that $21,900 is a great price for a trailer that MSRP'd at $40k a year ago.

So regardless of brand loyalty, would you pay $1400 more for a used trailer with no warranty? Or go with the Dutchman at lower cost with warranty? I have narrowed it down to these 2 after extensive research, so please don't suggest another RV. Am I missing anything? Is Jayco really worth the premium?
95jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #2

Look at the overall construction, cabinet, cabinet doors etc you may see a significant difference. I stress "see" since I haven't looked at a Coleman unit in decades.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Look at the overall construction, cabinet, cabinet doors etc you may see a significant difference. I stress "see" since I haven't looked at a Coleman unit in decades.
The Jayco seems nicer yes. The Dutchman is close. Close enough that it makes it difficult.

Just worried about spending $21k on an RV with no warranty, unless someone tells me otherwise.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Just worried about spending $21k on an RV with no warranty, unless someone tells me otherwise.
You should be able to get a "Service contract" through your dealer for $1,000 or less that covers everything for at least 3 years.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

You will if you wish find a fault with either. Get the one you like, the one you can afford. An if you can get the warranty on the Jayco an thays the one you like get that one. A new camper doesn't mean a worry free camper. Think of it as a box of chocolates, you never know what you are goin to get.
Inspect both well an go with your gut, wallet but more importantly your better half

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #6

I'd want the foot wider but that's me personally.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #7

Hard decision! Personally if they are both located at the same dealership, I would ditch the salesperson, sit in each unit for 45 minutes or so. Dig through all the cabinets, nockes, storage holds, etc. Look closely at the fit, finish, and materials used. My understanding Jayco uses very little particle board. Other vendors use a lot, especially in drawer construction. Particle board, does not hold up as nicely, in the long run.

Think about how you would use it, both on nice days and during crummy weather. A foot wider sounds great on those bad weather days. But I also have to admit, having a 3 year warranty sounds great too. Fyi, I'm not a warranty guy, and never buy an extended warranty.

Most of the vendors use the same refrigerators, stoves, light, pumps, etc. So there is not much differences there.

Sorry, for not being more help, but sitting in each unit for sometime might shed some light on which one to go width.

What do you have for an tow vehicle? That may limit you load.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii View Post
I'd want the foot wider but that's me personally.
6" wider, not a foot
Old 03-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Hard decision! Personally if they are both located at the same dealership, I would ditch the salesperson, sit in each unit for 45 minutes or so. Dig through all the cabinets, nockes, storage holds, etc. Look closely at the fit, finish, and materials used. My understanding Jayco uses very little particle board. Other vendors use a lot, especially in drawer construction. Particle board, does not hold up as nicely, in the long run.

Think about how you would use it, both on nice days and during crummy weather. A foot wider sounds great on those bad weather days. But I also have to admit, having a 3 year warranty sounds great too. Fyi, I'm not a warranty guy, and never buy an extended warranty.

Most of the vendors use the same refrigerators, stoves, light, pumps, etc. So there is not much differences there.

Sorry, for not being more help, but sitting in each unit for sometime might shed some light on which one to go width.

What do you have for an tow vehicle? That may limit you load.
They are at separate dealers. I sat in both and they are almost identical down to the last detail. If I blindfolded you and put you in both, you'd be hard pressed to see any discernible difference. It is amazing, like one copied the other almost exactly. The Jayco is however 6" wider and 1 foot longer, and the finish is a little nicer (like 5% better), certainly not night a day otherwise the decision would be easier. I am sure the Jayco is built with better materials, but I do not plan on owning it more than 5-6 years.

if they were same price, I'd probably lean toward the Jayco just for the extra room and just buy a warranty for $600 in case of any major issues. I am not worried about nickle and dime stuff, just a major failure that will cost me thousand(s).

Truck can pull either, no issue there. Again, it is just hard to pay MORE for a used trailer with no warranty vs the same floor plan and same options for LESS with a warranty.

I was hoping someone would tell me...wow that is a great price for Jayco 273, and/or heck yes Jayco is hands down better than a Dutchman ANY day and well worth the premium, but that does not seem to be the case.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #10

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the used trailer might have all the kinks worked out where as the new one might not. So maybe paying the $1,400 more is worth it, and also maybe paying the $600 to extend the warranty might be worth it as well.

Also maybe you can get the dealer down in price a bit because you know what the new one can offer.
carlamacewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

The width can be a big deal for some people. It will tow easier, and you'll have an easier time seeing around it. The obvious trade-off is the reduction in interior space. Have a look at the space around the master bed, in the bathroom and around the kitchen/dining area and see if you feel like you are cramped.

I looked at some narrower trailers and I wasn't happy with them. But lots of people love them.

Don't think either brand is really worth more than the other. It's about features.

Sometimes used trailers will come with a few things like solar, batteries, etc that you may end up buying yourself on a brand new trailer.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #12

FWIW, check out the link below. It speaks volumes to Jayco's manufacturing approach. Not that they don't have plenty of problems of their own, but short of the details at this link being a bald-faced lie you can't argue the approach. I'd like to disclaim that I am making no assertions that Dutchmen's construction practices equal what Jayco advertises as "Competitor's Construction".

https://www.jayco.com/products/toy-h...uction-detail/

hth!

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

95jersey,

Are you referring to the 2017 Jayco Octane Super Lite 273 (toy hauler)?

What is the actual 2018 Coleman model/number you are comparing?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #14

Another thing I try to consider when making a largepurchase is, what will my purchase be worth when it is time for me to let it go. Although they are not foolproof I would look at used values listed by Kelly Blue Book or a simular service. Look particular at cabinet construction, something Ididn't do and am sorry for now. Best of luck with your decision.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
95jersey,

Are you referring to the 2017 Jayco Octane Super Lite 273 (toy hauler)?

What is the actual 2018 Coleman model/number you are comparing?

Bob
Yes 273 toy hauler

The coleman is 250TQ
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Another thing I try to consider when making a largepurchase is, what will my purchase be worth when it is time for me to let it go. Although they are not foolproof I would look at used values listed by Kelly Blue Book or a simular service. Look particular at cabinet construction, something Ididn't do and am sorry for now. Best of luck with your decision.
Talking about cabinet construction, I don't think there is much out there that isn't made out of some type of composite these days. Unless your buying some high end unit. All I can say is beware of any water in any late model units including Jayco.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Yes 273 toy hauler The coleman is 250TQ
Thanks for the feedback.

With a toy hauler having the extra 6" in width can make a big difference in the actual useable garage area when it comes to loading & securing 'toys'.

A couple additional things you may want to compare:

* Actual useable depth of cargo area.
* Actual useable width of cargo area with seating folded.
* Back door platform maximum load weight.
* Garage area maximum load weight (if specified).
* Type/thickness of flooring in garage area.
* Type/size of TH frame (I-beam, boxed tube, etc.)
* Roof/sidewall R-ratings.
* Axle(s) maximum weight ratings.
* Rims 14" or 15".

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #18

To sweeten the deal the Jayco dealer gave me 5.99% vs 6.99% for the Dutchman. So even though the Dutchman loan will be less, I will actually pay $400 more in interest of the life of the loan to borrow less money...hmm
Old 03-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #19

Thinkin too hard about it. You keep waiting and both will be gone and you'll be startin all over with the this one or that one LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #20

If the dealer is asking $21,900, I would offer $18,500 and have him throw in a 3 year warranty. All he can do is counteroffer your offer. I would never pay an asking price without trying to throw a lowball offer first.

As for the interest rate, if you belong, or can join a credit union, the interest rates may be lower. A local CU is offering a rate of 4.54%. A dealer will go out of their way to get you to finance with them and will usually match what you can get on your own.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote