Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Is there any reason I need an "official" battery box? >>

...on the tongue of my trailer? Wouldn't a toolbox or any container work just as well? Or do I need anything at all?
Dave Marskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

If you have electric brakes, a battery is REQUIRED. The battery supplies the power to the brakes if the trailer breaks away from the towing vehicle.

Batteries give off corrosive and explosive gasses so they are usually in a dedicated battery box. A battery box is not required but it is any easy way to secure a battery on the tongue, keep the gasses ventilated, and keep other things from becoming corroded.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

I've seen people use different types of storage box for that purpose. I believe its just easier getting one made for the job. Other boxes need to be slightly modified for venting, accepting the wires, etc. I would also say that you do need a way to properly secure and protect (weather/theft) the battery.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If you have electric brakes, a battery is REQUIRED. The battery supplies the power to the brakes if the trailer breaks away from the towing vehicle.

Batteries give off corrosive and explosive gasses so they are usually in a dedicated battery box. A battery box is not required but it is any easy way to secure a battery on the tongue, keep the gasses ventilated, and keep other things from becoming corroded.
X2,
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

X3
Buffalo Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
bap

Plastic battery boxes with lid can be had from $6-$15 on amazon and many local stores.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

X4
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

I've seen many custom battery boxes on trailers, most in solar applications where more than one battery is needed. As long as it serves to protect the battery (yes..you need one) and vents to the outside at the top of the box (hydrogen rises), then you can use whatever you want.

BTW, an aluminum toolbox that locks is better than one of those plastic battery things. Thieves can still get in, but if your stuff is harder to get into than your neighbors, they'll likely pass on your stuff. One of those "you don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than your buddy" things.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote