Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

is there such a thing?

You know the double lights above your beds in your TT, well what I am wondering is if they make one that has only one light, and a fan on the other side. I have googled it, and all I can come up with are the portable fan/light combos for tent campers and such. My wife loves to have a fan blowing on her while she sleeps. At present we set a fan on the night stand, but that takes space away from other things. Any one heard of such a product as I described?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

I have not seen or heard of one, but it's a good idea. I checked Command Electronics catalog, and they don't have it. I try them first because they are a supplier to RV manufacturers (and they have treated me right in the past). If you called them they might steer you in the right direction. Good luck.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

I have no idea but it may be possible to rig something if you want.

I have a salt water fish tank with coral in it. The coral needs really high powered light to survive, but that same power light also gives off a lot of heat. It gives off so much heat that I sometimes need to cool my tank off.

Anyway, to cool my tank off I took one of those 2-3" computer fans that are in a desktop computer. I cut off the adapter that would normally plug into the board of the computer so that I had just plain wire. I then took an old cell phone charger and cut off the piece that you would plug into the phone. Finally, I spliced the computer fan wire and the cell phone charger wire together and you get a 12V fan. This little 12V fan blows across the surface of my fish tank and helps to evaporate the water which actually helps cool my tank. One little fan can cool off my 70 gallons of water by 2-3 degrees.

With all of that said, if you are familiar with swapping out your light bulbs with LED's then you are familiar with the fact that you have the piece that goes into the actual light socket and then you also connect the actual LED panel to the part you installed in the socket. Below is a picture of the piece you would actually put in the socket. The picture has 4 different ones depending on your setup, but most likely it's the 921 piece on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDs6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	6190

Anyway, the computer fan could plug into that 921 quick connect and that should theoretically power the computer fan. You might have to splice the wires instead of using the quick connect.

I'm not saying this will work and I've never tried it, but I really think it could work as you intend. I can guarantee that many, MANY people do power those little computer fans with the 12V cell phone chargers though. Many people that have fish tanks that they need to cool off use this method. Many people that have a kegorator also use this inside of the fridge. I'm sure there are many RV'ers that use this inside their fridges to help circulate the cold air around.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

I bought a 110 clip on desk fan and removed the other half of the clip- Then I sawed the "ears" off the fan half and mounted the fan above the window valance- Plugged her in to an outlet and have "soft" air circulating in the bedroom- JMHO- DD
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

My "nightstand" is so big, I just bought a small fan at Walmart and it works perfectly. Provides plenty of wind and white noise.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

One down fall to put the fan in the light, where is it going to draw air from? In order to be able to push air, the fan needs to be able to pull air. I don't see that happening with a fan that is "fastened" up in a light. I get hot in our camper I also bought one of the little $6 USB fans from Menards or Wal-mart don't remember which and I set that on the night stand. Doesn't move a bunch of air, but I can blow it on my face and move the hot air away from enough that I stay cool. Between that and the 4" foam mattress topper we sleep so much better in the camper now than what we did when bought it. Those first few times out were rough....
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Maybe something like this would help...

Certainly doesn't take up any nite table space haha...

I was just searching on GOOGLE for 'BED FANS' and 'PUCK LIGHTS'

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #8

There are several small 12V fans made for boats that could be surface mounted next to a light and be powered from the same source.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=fan&x=0&y=0

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
There are several small 12V fans made for boats that could be surface mounted next to a light and be powered from the same source.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=fan&x=0&y=0
yes there appears to be some potential in some of those fans. Wonder if someplace sells them so I could actually look and hold them?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

West Marine has lots of retail locations that may have then to see.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...n#.UQWPkol5mc0
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote