Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Is this a good time to buy a new RV?

My wife and I have been looking at purchasing a Class C RV, and had been looking back in February with hopes to pick something up in the Spring. We paused our search with everything going on, but wondering if prices will be any better now?

We haven't picked a specific model yet, but we had been looking at a few in the 29 foot range, like the Greylock Prestige 29MV, and a similar Entegra. The Greyhawk priced out around $99K if I remember correctly, but wondering if others have checked on prices lately?
rob27ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

We just bought a new class c and pick it up tomorrow. I think we got a pretty good deal on it. We’ve also been looking for months and I thought the current situation gave me a good opportunity to get a great deal. If you’re in a position with stable income and able to qualify to buy you can use that as leverage with the dealer. They don’t exactly have a line out the door of people who are in a position to purchase right now. I was respectfully honest with the dealer and told them that given the situation I was expecting a good price. I explained I didn’t want them to give up a profit and not be able to pay bills, but this sale was not going to be their biggest profit margin of the year.

I think if you’re able, now would be a great time; though it’s also possible loan rates could drop some more and RV demand could also drop as the economy temporarily worsens giving you an even better deal in a month or so. But, if you’re able to get a good price on what you want now I’d jump on it.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #3

RV sales were already suffering before this crisis and I think dealers who have stock will be willing to give a fair deal. If you go in with realistic expectations I think you'll get a good deal. If you're not happy with what they're offering, go somewhere else. If you don't get what you want from multiple dealers, then it's probably your expectations.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #4

I would not buy a new rv right now. They may be selling for many thousands less during the next 60-days.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #5

Are the factories shutting down? There might be fewer new ones hitting the lots over the next couple months.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #6

My wife and I ordered a 2021 Redhawk SE 27N class C on March 1st. Last weekend March 28th, we called our salesman and discussed our concern that with the factory shut down, and with the delay in production, would we be able to cancel the order and buy a Class C from their inventory. He called us back, said yes so we ended up buying a new 2020 Redhawk 26XD. They gave us an outstanding deal. Because everything is shut down here I in Massachusetts we won't be able to pick it up until the state allows dealers to resume business. Probably at the end of the month.
Docsouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Not that I want to encourage "vulture" practices here, but one might expect there will be a lot of really good deals on relatively newer pre-owned units here in a couple months due to laid-off and/or now-lower income households needing to get out of the RV payments they took on but can now not afford. Since getting warranty service on new units is a major crap-shoot anyway (at least in my experience), I'm not thinking my next unit, if I ever do a next unit, is very likely to be a used one in good condition, after the steep amount of first year depreciation. And hiring an experienced and qualified used RV inspector to check for problems on a pre-owned unit is probably a good idea if you're not confident enough or have the time to check one out yourself. Just a thought, for what it's worth.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

Our local dealer is closed since they are not an "essential service" as mandated by our Government. Dealer closed means no sale on RVs right now.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #9

The dealer I bought from is open but working with a downsized staff. They are considered essential because people live in RVs full time and need to be able to provide maintenance.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Our local dealer is closed since they are not an "essential service" as mandated by our Government. Dealer closed means no sale on RVs right now.
My dealer which happens to be where my co-workers wife works at is opened.
According to my co-worker the dealer is opened because FEMA got some trailers from there so it is an essential service.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
RV sales were already suffering before this crisis and I think dealers who have stock will be willing to give a fair deal. If you go in with realistic expectations I think you'll get a good deal. If you're not happy with what they're offering, go somewhere else. If you don't get what you want from multiple dealers, then it's probably your expectations.
agree with you
robles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
My wife and I ordered a 2021 Redhawk SE 27N class C on March 1st. Last weekend March 28th, we called our salesman and discussed our concern that with the factory shut down, and with the delay in production, would we be able to cancel the order and buy a Class C from their inventory. He called us back, said yes so we ended up buying a new 2020 Redhawk 26XD. They gave us an outstanding deal. Because everything is shut down here I in Massachusetts we won't be able to pick it up until the state allows dealers to resume business. Probably at the end of the month.
Do you mind if I ask what you paid? We had looked at this one briefly along with a few other models, but at the moment I haven't heard back from the person I was working with. My guess is he was laid-off since the dealership appears to be working with a smaller staff until things open back up.
rob27ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob27ma View Post
My wife and I have been looking at purchasing a Class C RV, and had been looking back in February with hopes to pick something up in the Spring. We paused our search with everything going on, but wondering if prices will be any better now?

We haven't picked a specific model yet, but we had been looking at a few in the 29 foot range, like the Greylock Prestige 29MV, and a similar Entegra. The Greyhawk priced out around $99K if I remember correctly, but wondering if others have checked on prices lately?
I would shop around and walk out on any deal not taking 35% off MSRP or more! And don’t
Fall for ANY UP SALE,( extended warranties etc..!)

Hold your cards close don’t tell them how you are planning to pay for it. And tell them you’re buying an RV. Weather your buying it from them or somebody else will be entirely up to How they handler this sale!

I bought a 2019 Redhawk 25R in 2018 for a little over 35% off MSRP, and as always we’ve been doing a lot of upgrades along the way to make it the way we want it!

Good luck, shop hard!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob27ma View Post

We have a Greyhawk 2017 29MV that we will be selling due to everything going on. If "like new" is on your radar feel free to message.
ChrisMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #15

Now is the time to buy. I have never seen the manufacturers want to, not only, move what they have in their yard but also wanting to help the dealers to sell what is on their lots. If you are serious about buying, do it within the next month or so. BTW, $99K for a 29MV Greyhawk Prestige is high.
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #16

I bought a 2018 Jayflight 264 BMW Baja package in December of 2018. I think list price was $24K. I offered them $18K figuring it was the and of the year and 2019's we're on the way. They laughed at me. A few days later I got a call and was told that I could hav3 it for ........ $14K!?!?!? The caveat being was that I had to take a loan from them to get that price. So I did it and then paid it off a few months later. Timing is everything.

Kurt
Old 04-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #17

I think it’s a great time to buy. I’ve ordered a new 5th wheel and will get much more favorable terms from the bank than before. If you want, most financial institutions are deferring payments for a couple months to let the economy rebound. This Corona thing is only temporary. You’ll enjoy your new trailer all the more once we can get out of our houses!

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Our local Jayco towable dealer is open for business as they are considered essential.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
Our local RV show was the 3rd week in January. They had all local dealers but one (maybe 8 dealers) We went on the last day. I think every unit on the Convention Center floor was sold, plus talking with the Sales people it sounded like just about everything in their lots were already sold as well.

Our Jayco Dealer doesn't attend because he has his own show a few weeks later at a different venue. He didn't have it this year. I don't know if it was the virus or what. A quick look at his web site showed about a 35% discount.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #20

Someone said in this post that RV dealers were suffering prior to this outbreak. Well that is the furthest thing from the truth. All of the manufacturers were at full capacity due to a tremendous economy. This downturn will be short lived for sure. People are not canceling there orders, they’re just requesting to get some payments deferred when closing on loans. This is the perfect time to buy because dealers are wanting to jumpstart sales due to the virus.

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote