Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Is this "normal"?

So, we are in the midst of trying to come to a deal with the local dealer for a 154BH Baja. We are using Costco Auto program and got a good price, but the dealer was trying to charge a PDI fee of 695. The Costco auto program told me that there should NOT be a PDI (plus, it states in the Jayco Owners Manual that it is the dealers responsibility to do a PDI). Anyways, I get a call from the GM at the dealership today saying that it isn't a PDI fee, he was calling it a "camp ready" fee. Regardless, I have it in Email that the salesman called it a PDI fee. Is this normal, or is this dealership trying to pull one on us? We are getting a very god price, but it is a bit concerning that they are just calling it different things to get around it. Any input would be appreciated.
goodvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

My dealer did not charge for this. However what they did was not even a PDI. Fast run through that nobody new would be able to remember. Camp ready is BS. They are trying to cover to get more of your money. I would tell them see ya until they take charge off. If it says no PDI then no PDI. Tell them you will take care of being "camp ready" yourself.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

I would find out what's included in that fee. I know when we bought ours they wanted to sell us a "go camp package" which included sewer hose some electrical adapters a battery and full propane tanks along with some other things but we turned that stuff all down because we already had it all, and I wasn't going to spend that much just for a battery and propane.

We didn't get charged any fee for them to get the camper ready for us to pick up, that should be part of their customer service in making sure you are getting a fully operational and functional unit when you pick it up.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Its a shell game. Some add it to the price but do not disclose it, others call it the prep fee or PDI fee. Still others do not charge it at all.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #5

Accept $0.00 in add-on fees.

The process to deliver a ready-to-camp unit already on the lot is part of the dealer's cost of doing business.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

When we got ours, I was all prepared to tell them to stuff it if they mentioned a PDI fee. But not a word about it, and I couldn't see it on the paperwork anywhere. So there are still honest dealers out there. Or maybe it was because they knew that we were already 3.5 hours out of our way to buy from them, so they did their best not to lose the deal.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
BCK

No extra fees on our purchase either and the dealer still included all the usual trinkets to be "camping ready". Full propane, battery, plug adaptor, 20ft sewer hose etc.

x2 on Crabman's comment.

Could be the dealer's MO. Every business needs to make a certain margin to cover costs and keep the lights on. If they wont waive the PDI fee then I would look at the all-in price and forget about how its broken down. If they are still lower than the next guy then a good deal is a good deal no matter how you slice it.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
So, we are in the midst of trying to come to a deal with the local dealer for a 154BH Baja. We are using Costco Auto program and got a good price, but the dealer was trying to charge a PDI fee of 695. The Costco auto program told me that there should NOT be a PDI (plus, it states in the Jayco Owners Manual that it is the dealers responsibility to do a PDI). Anyways, I get a call from the GM at the dealership today saying that it isn't a PDI fee, he was calling it a "camp ready" fee. Regardless, I have it in Email that the salesman called it a PDI fee. Is this normal, or is this dealership trying to pull one on us? We are getting a very god price, but it is a bit concerning that they are just calling it different things to get around it. Any input would be appreciated.
Call Costco and ask. They have a pretty strict vender agreement that they do not deviate from.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. I was just looking at overall price and what we were comfortable with, since it is a good deal...but the fact that it was called a PDI, then later changed to a Camp Ready fee just seemed weird. I am hoping to still get this trailer, I just want to feel comfortable with it.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Our rig came with 2 batteries, full propane tanks and a very through PDI. I am sure it cost me but it was not in add-on fees.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #11

Our Greyhawk came with full gas and LP tanks, various hoses, and as much PDI time as we wanted to spend with the tech. There was no charge.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

You can also go to the sticky for the PDI Checklist and do your own PDI if thats the case.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind View Post
You can also go to the sticky for the PDI Checklist and do your own PDI if thats the case.
Actually the dealer is supposed to do his own inspection and unit prep before the customer does the walk through inspection. That is what some of them charge for.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #14

I would not be comfortable giving them an additional $695.
I can think of a bunch of other things I would be comfortable buying for $695!

I guess if I were in your position and I really wanted the trailer and wanted to close the deal ASAP I would tell them I would only pay $195 processing fee (this would cover any costs they could think of) and not a penny more.

Then take the $500 you saved and get a few nice things for your new trailer!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #15

We were shopping at CW and found a good price until all the add ons were included. They wanted extra for a trailer inspection to ensure everything worked, then more for a tech to show us everything and how to work it, then more for propane and a battery, then the final insult they wanted to charge us an inspection fee on our trade in. Needless to say we went to a small family owned business and the base price was a little higher but the bottom line was lower and that's what counts. Plus they have been great about service.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #16

When I bought mine, there was no PDI fee, and a new Reese WD hitch was included, along with the dump tube. Depends on the dealer, and how much they want repeat business. Maybe you could tell them you won't pay the fee, but will spend most of that money at their dealership to buy some of the things you'll need.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Our Greyhawk came with full gas and LP tanks, various hoses, and as much PDI time as we wanted to spend with the tech. There was no charge.
+1 I bought used and it came with basic hoses, full propane, etc and all the time I needed with the tech on the walk through. The unit was powered up on 50amps & water on the lot for delivery.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #18

I would converse with Costco they are VERY protective of these programs. And if you have, in writing, something that goes against the program rules, they WILL take action. This dealer would be dropped from the program if proven he violated the rules.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I would converse with Costco they are VERY protective of these programs. And if you have, in writing, something that goes against the program rules, they WILL take action. This dealer would be dropped from the program if proven he violated the rules.
Yes, they are... they WILL look into it and in very short order. That initial email from the salesman could prove to be some very damning evidence and I'm certain that 695$ fee will disappear very quickly.

However, this is where things may get sticky. RV dealers are far and few between... this isn't like buying a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, ...etc.. where you have a multitude of dealers to get service from. I don't recall if this is the OP's first RV or not, but at some point you WILL MOST LIKELY have some issue that you need/want service maybe under warranty or out of warranty. This is when it becomes critical that you have established a decent relationship with your dealer and that they value you as a customer. Right/Wrong or otherwise I'd certainly want to know how they treat their customer when there is an issue....

For instance there is a lady posting on here today who had an issue with a queen bed breaking and a slide that would not go in, she is upset about her new trailer but if you read closely she made a call to her selling dealer and they came to her home today to help and are making some emergency repairs so they can still go on there outing. Dealers have a limited capacity and some repairs can take some time.... I'd want to know where I fit in the food chain should something go south. Obviously the easy customer that paid full boat might get bumped to the head of the line.

Nobody wants to overpay, but sometimes the cheapest price does not equate.

Investigate the dealer and propose some scenarios and ask how they would be handled.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it works out.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #20

Thank you for all the replies. I ended up working with Costco and they called the dealership. All this resulted in the PDI and/or the "camp ready" fee to be dropped. I have not spoken to the dealership yet in regards to the sale. I am a little worried about how they will handle the sale now that I made such a 'fuss'. I am really hoping that they are professional about it all. My plan is just be as nice as possible and hope for the best.

On a side note. The Costco Auto program team was beyond helpful and I can not say enough good things about them.