Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #21

Gag rules normally make people bottle up disgruntlements until they explode in a very unpleasant fashion (that's how mine work, anyway, and I hate it when I explode).

If you saw a better place for them to put the genny... I would have asked them to move it. If they were good neighbors (which running just one hour at a time, twice a day sounds like good neighbors to me), I'm sure they would have been happy to move it for you.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumgater View Post
Gag rules normally make people bottle up disgruntlements until they explode in a very unpleasant fashion (that's how mine work, anyway, and I hate it when I explode).

If you saw a better place for them to put the genny... I would have asked them to move it. If they were good neighbors (which running just one hour at a time, twice a day sounds like good neighbors to me), I'm sure they would have been happy to move it for you.
Oh well, I've chalked it up to a training mission for this weekend's camping at Watkins Glen, NASCAR. These guys run generators from 8 am to 11 pm whether they need them or not. Never know when you might want to take a nap--gotta keep that AC running! We camp on the infield and when the cars are running it doesn't really make much difference...
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #23

"My camping comfort means more than your camping comfort".

Nobody's right, everybody's wrong.

We don't like our neighbors.

Heck, I'd just either run a cord to the contraption and top off my batteries, or, offer same to the offended.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #24

we've been out a few times with noisy generators. The last time was Labor day weekend. My DW spoke with a lady in the restroom, and she was complaining about not having an electric site, and could not understand how anyone could live without electric. Funny part was she admitted to making the reservation and did not realize it was a non electric site. Her DH, went out and baught a huge contractor.

Our site was about 3 loops over from her's and we could hear it, but it was not obnoxious at that distance. As we went for our walks, it was horrible in that area. They ran it all day, even while sitting outside.

While making small talk with one of the rangers, she stated they had a lot of complaints about the noise, and stated their hands were tied, as the rules had in it about really loud generators.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 07-31-2018, 05:44 AM   #25

Im waiting for one of these to show up at a campground
Attached Thumbnails
Magnum_Towable.png  
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
Site Team

The only way of enforcing noise from a generator is to have a "set db level", that is the cut off point for acceptable and not acceptable. The city I lived in up north had a db ordinance that specified a specific db limit at the property line. Yes, that included cars with loud music passing by.

So if you are complaining about a next door neighbor at a CG for a loud generator, and you are standing there with a baby that is crying at the top of her/his voice because they are teething, you may also be in violation. Or your dog that just happens to bark at the property line. Pros/Cons to everything

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Just rented one of these a couple weeks ago! I parked my car right next to it while it was running, and it was no louder than my car.

It was much quieter than any Honda!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 07-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
At an event RV parking was permitted in an unused parking lot and we were next to one of those.

Not bad at all.. The event organizers prohibited private genny use probably because someone would bring an obnxious noisy one.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 08-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #29

In the Adirondack Park and other SP in NY, there a multitude of sites without electric. Most bring a small inverter generator. However, there is that guy who brings the contractor generator, turns it on during generator hours and then goes down to visit his friends a few sites or another loop over. We reported it as being excessively loud. In the ADK park solar is not much help due to the tree cover. If people would just be a bit more considerate, it we would all benefit. The poster was lucky he only ran it two hours a day. The Parks need to be more forceful and not let the loud ones run. We have a small 2000 Champion (cost was less than 400) that is very quiet and we also muffle it with a barrier as we want to enjoy our time as well. There are lot of Honda clones out there too that are not much $$. We run it to charge the batteries, not for the AC or to make coffee.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Solar panels require constant attention in forested areas.. And do not charge very well. I watched one guy in Acadia keep moving his every five minutes.. And an hour later the entire site was in shade. Its unfortunate that folks don't think of others before running them or placing them
In addition to my roof fixed panels I have a 120 watt portable on a 100' cord if there is too much shade. In the case of total shade I just start the RV engine and let the alternator charge the batteries at 40-50 amps, faster than my converter, and much quieter than most generators. I am aware that this is not an option for most towed RV's.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
Old 08-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #31

We do not get out of Arizona much, working part time. do most of those parks have full hook ups?
Old 08-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #32

I would support a ban on all generators in all campgrounds. I do not wish to listen to any loud noises while camping. That includes my neighbors choice of music or t.v. show. If you want to get drunk and yell and carry on, please find a party bar and go and rise all the heck you like.

Ok I had my say, now you all can have at me!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #33

Since the guy placed the generator on your side of his trailer he was obviously telling you that could plug in as well to charge your battery.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #34

Last summer at a Nebraska State Park in a primitive area we had someone pull in late and ran 2 generators all night long. The next morning I politely informed him of the regulations. He just kind of grunted.

"Power units used to generate electricity shall not be operated between the hours of 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., nor at hours of the day if the operation causes a disturbance for other uses or visitors."

Next evening around 10PM I was helping him with his telescope and I made a point of stopping and saying it's 10PM I need to turn my generator off. I came back and asked aren't you going to turn your off? He turned both of his off too. Great I thought. About an hour later he was back in the trailer with both generators running. Next morning I went and talked to the camp host and ranger who both came over and talked to him. But this didn't seem to phase him a bit, generators still ran 7x24.

Next day a number of people complained to the people organizing the event we where at about him. Organizers came by with the ranger and he was told he has to shut them down at 10PM. He packed up and left in a tizzy leaving small stuff and lots of garbage behind.

Anyway, try talking to the person and see if they can move the generator behind the trailer. That may help. Of course if there is a person behind him, they may not be happy...

Private parks tend to have at least electric with many having full hookups. Larger State and National parks usually have some sites with hookups, but the majority do not. We where just at Grand Canyon Nation Park (North Rim) in Arziona no hookups at all, but there is a trailer dump station. Generators only from 7:00-9:00AM and 6:00-8:00PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #35

We try not to use our genset unless there is no other option, and the times we do use it we are normally boondocking where our nearest neighbor can be a 1/2 mile away . Our rig will be 3 years old soon and the genset has 28 hours on it, most from AC use in the desert while boondocking. Our 700+ watts of solar with Lithium batteries power the inverter quiet well. I do not like to listen to my own genset, much less others, so tend to get upset when someone spoils the peace and quiet of camping with a genset run unnecessarily, or at posted 'quiet' times. I was parked next to a guy who left his TV on full blast all day, even when not in his RV, something must have overheated as his breaker tripped after a few hours.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #36

Read the rules, pay the fees, follow the rules.

Still gonna be somebody unhappy.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #37

I wish our city even had a db limit. Between the loud mufflers, guys with old clunker diesel p/u's with no muffler left to them racing up and down the street and the absolute worst is the guys motorcycles with stereo's that would make teenagers jealous. They ride up and down the street at all hours with their stereo's blaring................ if they would just play some Bob Seger I could almost live with it!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM   #38

Contractor GEN Noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
While I don't know if the noise level was within the rules at that particular campground I'd say, overall, you were fortunate that he only ran it twice a day for relatively short periods.
(Sometimes) redirecting the exhaust can make a huge diff in the db level at a particular location? Maybe, if pointed at you, ask that it be turned 90-deg?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #39

This has been a great thread for a newbie. 2018 Alante 26X owner. Please help me with a couple questions since the last thing we want to do is be the bad neighbor. We plan on going to state and federal parks, how many solar panels and batteries do we need to not need the generator? And what will the batteries and solar power run? Fridge, AC, outlets, microwave? Or just lights and TV ? We were told by the sales man just lights and tv and not to bother because even state parks let you run the generator for most of the day. And when we mentioned we prefer the quiet his response was, everyone will be running them.... Please point us in the right direction.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #40

I agree with comments. I love the state parks as they are still for us they offer the best real camping. After nearly 40 yrs we have move to a motorhome only because of ease in set in being seniors. We have like virtually all motorhomes an onboard generator but do not use in a state park because of noise level. In past years we towed trailers and most recently a 5th wheel which we mounted a small generator for occasional use to charge battery. The problem or issue is I believe most people opt for a generator that is able to operate the A/C which requires a bigger or more powerful generator and that means the noise level or db is considerably higher than smaller ones especially if its of the non inverter type. Most inverter type generators are quieter than the conventional type however the greater the output the more noise level you have. The bottom line is for just charging battery and running lights, not A/C or microwave one only needs a small generator rated at some 1000 Watts or less. These usually are rated at some 50-58 db instead of the 65-80 db generated by the larger units, which are the most quiet making it just above hearing level at some 10 feet away. But again most people seem not to want this type of generator. To my knowledge most state parks simply post quiet hours only and do not place a restriction on noise level which they should. Not many people want a noisy generator next to them. After all camping use to be and should be a place of quiet, relaxation, and a place to unwind. So the parks need to establish a noise level if a generator is to be used. That would be easy for the ranger office to state upon registration if a generator is to be used the camper should present the operators manual or model of generator which they can easily check the db level.
Closed Thread