Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Jackknife or futon?

Hi everyone. I need to replace my jackknife sofa. I bought rig used and it's very uncomfortable after 10 minutes or so your butt stinks down and feels hard. I don't want to buy a new one and be uncomfortable as I will be spending a lot of time in the rig. Doesn't seem to be many jackknife options and they are expensive. I don't mind spending $750 if it's something that is very comfortable and quality. I see a lot of people with jackknife sofas and all the leather has peeled off within a couple years. I was thinking of maybe getting a really nice futon instead. Has anyone found a comfortable sofa option whether it's a jackknife or futon please let me know. Thank you
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
Hi everyone. I need to replace my jackknife sofa. I bought rig used and it's very uncomfortable after 10 minutes or so your butt stinks down and feels hard. I don't want to buy a new one and be uncomfortable as I will be spending a lot of time in the rig. Doesn't seem to be many jackknife options and they are expensive. I don't mind spending $750 if it's something that is very comfortable and quality. I see a lot of people with jackknife sofas and all the leather has peeled off within a couple years. I was thinking of maybe getting a really nice futon instead. Has anyone found a comfortable sofa option whether it's a jackknife or futon please let me know. Thank you

Do you really need the bed? If not, but get something comfortable to sit on. If you do, I would be looking for tri-fold.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Do you really need the bed? If not, but get something comfortable to sit on. If you do, I would be looking for tri-fold.
I agree with NewBlackDak. If you go the tri-fold route, the newer tri-folds are strong, yet lighter and more comfortablew.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Well that's the thing. Technically i dont need the bed. But I have a murphy bed that folds down over the jackknife couch right between the arm rest. So the back needs to fold down in order for the bed to come down. I want a comfortable couch I can sit on for hours to watch movies and what not.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

Nobody has found a comfortable replacement for their jackknife sofa?? I'm still searching. Some of the Kathy Ireland jackknife look promising with lots of padding. But still wonder if the pleather materials going to start peeling after a year. Top 10 looking at various futons with the correct measurements. But they all seem very low to the ground. Would like to find something comfortable like a sofa you would use in the house.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #6

We purchased 2 Rec Pro Recliners www,recpro.com to replace the Jackknife sofa in our 2016 Jayco. We are selling the Jackknife sofa if you are interested but I see you are in Fl and we are in Ohio so that may not work if you are interested in buying the sofa.

RVTwo
RVTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTwo View Post
We purchased 2 Rec Pro Recliners www,recpro.com to replace the Jackknife sofa in our 2016 Jayco. We are selling the Jackknife sofa if you are interested but I see you are in Fl and we are in Ohio so that may not work if you are interested in buying the sofa.

RVTwo
How donyou like those recliners? Are they comfortable for someone whose 6 feet?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
How donyou like those recliners? Are they comfortable for someone whose 6 feet?
I am 6 FT and they are very comfortable. I fall asleep in them! We have them positioned so we can wath TV/Movies and you can get an optional drink cup holder with them. Very easy to install in our 2016 Jayco.

RVTwo
RVTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTwo View Post
I am 6 FT and they are very comfortable. I fall asleep in them! We have them positioned so we can wath TV/Movies and you can get an optional drink cup holder with them. Very easy to install in our 2016 Jayco.

RVTwo
Good to know thanks. Still hoping someone has found a very comfortable futon or jackknife sofa to recommend
Old 02-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #10

We're replacing ours with something like this
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...000777664.html

We haven't nailed it down completely yet. Also looking at LazyBoy love seats. I have no plans on replacing the jack-knife couch with an 'RV' specific option that costs 4 times more than it needs to. I just have to make sure I can get it in the door. You should be able to find something that meets your requirements, color, etc..
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
We're replacing ours with something like this
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...000777664.html

We haven't nailed it down completely yet. Also looking at LazyBoy love seats. I have no plans on replacing the jack-knife couch with an 'RV' specific option that costs 4 times more than it needs to. I just have to make sure I can get it in the door. You should be able to find something that meets your requirements, color, etc..
My options are limited bc my murphy bed comes down on top of the couch. The couch has to lay flat in order for this to happen. So I need a futon or jack knife. Unless I get some recliner chair type deals and move them out of the way when I pull the bed down. But it's only 23 foot not really anywhere to put them. These kathey ireland look nice and cushiony but there are no reviews..
Attached Thumbnails
20210217_174751.jpg   20210217_174719.jpg   20210217_174733.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #12

Can you just replace the foam in the seat to a high density foam?
Try Adams Foam Rubber in Chicago.

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote