Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

jayco 321eagle and my 08 gmc

Hi all, being new hope this is not boring. just got my used eagle and my first trip in June took all the lights of the ceiling on the three slides, it hits very hard. before I do any more damage , can some one tell me how much difference from front to back in inches should it be or is as close to even as possible good enough. the dealer who connected it said it was fine as the hitch is at the bottom but the can shackles can be adjusted or get a lighter hitch , I have a 14000 lb trailer and a 20000 lb hitch which was from my 34 ft trailer please any suggestions ThanksTravler2017
Travler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

Welcome Travler2017!

Your post is not boring. Your trailer should be close to level when hitched up with 5+ inches of clearance between your 5er and the truck box. As far as taking out your inside lights, I'm not sure that would be related. What do you mean "hits hard"? What hits hard?
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

Travler2017

Hi, thanks for your response . the trailer and truck hit very hard jarring your false teeth. this is our second fifth wheel trailer and the first one you did not know it was there but it only had a few inches clearance . of course some truck box damage occurred but very negligible . this eagle is an upgrade but the hitch is a 20 ton curt and it is at its lowest setting. the trailer is about 4 inches difference front to back and the dealer said this was with in range. I can adjust the shackles or replace the hitch with a curt 16 ton hitch which I think I can adjust to a lower position or between lowering the hitch by an inch and raising the shackles it would level it out and removing the air bags from the truck as this always increases the numbers as they recommend 40 lbs in the air bags but any amount raises the truck box. the trailer has an air ride pin with shock absorber. I am sitting at home till September and hopefully I can resolve this situation with the help of all of you , thanks again. was able to salvage two of the lights out of three and now to find something to replace one of them.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Are the axles on top or bottom of springs ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

Travler2017

the axels are under the springs
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Travler2017

maybe there is a better hitch than a curt. the dealer is 200 kilometres away and the manufacturing is in Wisconsin which is a day away but when you are retired and time is all I have, no biggy