Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
Question, would it be possible to install the Chill Grille without removing the AC from the roof? If you can manage to drill with a long bit the 4 corners of the square from above without removing it, it seems like you can just install the grill and bolts from underneath correct, or am I missing a step?
As I recall, you can’t really see where the 14” hole is from the roof without lifting the ac unit up off of it. However, I tilted the unit up from the back and it balanced on its nose. Having the rig open from the roof was very helpful cause I could see a roof beam that I had to work around when I installed the chillgrill.
It’s best to replace the gasket. A Google search of coleman mach ac roof gasket replacement yielded lots of sellers.
Attached Thumbnails
D4898095-9957-4772-804F-56BE31263415.jpg  
Grandpawlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by easevado View Post
I sort of went the same way. I added extra ducts in the plenum. One on the left side of the living room one on the right. It solves the problem of enough air not getting into the living room and it’s not quite as noisy.
Would you mind sending me a pic of where you installed your extra ducts? I have the same rig as you and am thinking of doing the same. Also my mid bunk is always too hot/cold and vent barely blows out any air. Gotta figure something out there too. Thanks.
4 J's in a Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #63

So my round ducts have a 2” or so collar on them then protrudes above the bottom of the duct by like a half an inch or more and leaves only like an inch to the top of the duct. the airflow must get really disturbed and restricted with these collars sticking up into the duct. Ive only seen the flush ones without the collar. Anyone else seen these collars like that? if they trimmed the collar to be even with the bottom of the duct it wouldnt be half bad. Im going to remove the collars and just tape the openings like on the video. I ordered 4 new ducts which dont havr the collars and are flat. Ill post a pic when I finally get up there to swap them and cut new ones. Adding two or maybe even four to the main room and a pair to the two in the bedroom.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
So my round ducts have a 2” or so collar on them then protrudes above the bottom of the duct by like a half an inch or more and leaves only like an inch to the top of the duct. the airflow must get really disturbed and restricted with these collars sticking up into the duct. Ive only seen the flush ones without the collar. Anyone else seen these collars like that? if they trimmed the collar to be even with the bottom of the duct it wouldnt be half bad. Im going to remove the collars and just tape the openings like on the video. I ordered 4 new ducts which dont havr the collars and are flat. Ill post a pic when I finally get up there to swap them and cut new ones. Adding two or maybe even four to the main room and a pair to the two in the bedroom.
Mine have the collar, but most of them fell short of reaching the duct, leaving a gap between a quarter to half inch, blowing air into the attic. I've been taping them up tonight so they are flush.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #65

Question. I noticed on my air unit, if I close the main vents the system gets over worked and shuts down. I have to turn the unit off and back on. I would think you should be able to close the main vents to get the air to the other parts of the camper. Seems like the other vents are choked off. Is this normal?

I am going to tear into the system and see what I can find and get a roll of the duct tape and seal everything up
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #66
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Question. I noticed on my air unit, if I close the main vents the system gets over worked and shuts down. I have to turn the unit off and back on. I would think you should be able to close the main vents to get the air to the other parts of the camper. Seems like the other vents are choked off. Is this normal?
You're going to need to pull of the inside cover and see if the ducts leaving the unit in the ceiling are blocked. Seems like some people are finding some pretty marginal installations and lack of duct taping.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post

I am going to tear into the system and see what I can find and get a roll of the duct tape and seal everything up
You can but you cannot leave them both on high. All dumps closed on your front unit you will need to leave both units on low. If you leave one dump on the front unit open you can leave one on High and one on low. You can try to leave both dumps closed with one unit on high and one unit on low, it might work. The problem is your fans are not turning fast enough because of the back pressure and it causes them to over amp.
easevado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #68

I have 2 15,000's on the 377 and have no problems running both on high with vents closed. I think maybe you have a blockage somewhere. Don't know many vents on the 297 the 377 has 10 I think.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #69

It’s possible. I have a 355 and it came with 11 registers. I added a 12th one under the living a/c and I use it as a quick dump. It worked great. I can run both a/c on high and I have no problem also. My info was told to me by my dealer when I bought it.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #70

I close my bedroom ones during the day to help the living area have not had any problems
respearrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by easevado View Post
You can but you cannot leave them both on high. All dumps closed on your front unit you will need to leave both units on low. If you leave one dump on the front unit open you can leave one on High and one on low. You can try to leave both dumps closed with one unit on high and one unit on low, it might work. The problem is your fans are not turning fast enough because of the back pressure and it causes them to over amp.

Don't think so...at least not in my TT. I always run mine on Hi with the Quick Cool vents closed on the AC unit.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksb View Post
Here's what I was talking about.
https://youtu.be/rxCljBVi8DU
Great video! Thanks for sharing.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #73

So how hard is it to remove the front cover on the a/c?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:14 AM   #74

I went out to my rv and done this, well half of it anyway I do need to do my bedroom a/c and yes this is a great video.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:29 AM   #75
Site Team

Be sure to use a foil tape that is made for this purpose. Regular duct tape will not stick long term. One roll will go a long way.

It's available in most home stores that have foil insulation products.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foil+tape...nb_sb_ss_i_1_5
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #76

Yes I did, I made sure, I just went out today and yesterday to finish up now I can't wait to try it out, I try to convince the wife let's take the 5th wheel out and try the a/c out, but she wouldn't go for it, bummer.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #77

whisper quiet baffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I wonder how you check this with a whisper quiet system? No big square cover plate to use for access.
Has anyone figured out how to check the baffle on a whisper quiet AC yet ?
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Has anyone figured out how to check the baffle on a whisper quiet AC yet ?
You have to unbolt the AC unit on the roof tilt it over and look at it from on top of the camper
Old 06-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #79

Any instructions, how many bolts, do I need a new gasket or chalk, self leveling?
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #80

4 bolts. Replace the gasket when its off. Some have the bracket and some dont and are just screwed into the roof structure. I would recommend having a dealer check them, if youre unfamiliar. Will save you alot more if you dont put it back perfectly and it leaks. You can also do the modification and add the chill grille to it if you do end up taking it off. If I kept my Jayco I was going to have the dealer add it to the two ducted ones. Most of the intake tracks are somewhat crushed and narrowed so helps get more air into it and pumps out more cold air. Personally, they should just have the old non ducted setups again. You can run multipes anyway on 50a power so just let them dump tje cold air in the room you want it in. Thebonly room I can see being a little cold air starved is the bathroom but I keep that vent closed anyway!
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote