Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Jayco Build Quality - What is acceptable?

I purchased a 2018 Hummingbird 17FD on 1/18/18 so I've had it a month. Today it's raining so I went out to check it for leaks and water is coming in from the street side rear roof joint over the rear window. I have not used the trailer yet as I had to move the large drawer under the fridge 1/2" to the left so the slide would go in and out without hanging up on the drawer and binding the slide. The dealer winterized it and I found pink antifreeze under the sink so it has a leak there. The plywood base under the bed and dinette is warped and doesn't lay flat so it creaks when you sit or lay on it depending on which end you are on. Some of the furring strips are split from haphazard screw insertion. The kitchen counter top is short by a fraction from reaching the wall and the lower cabinets have staples blown thru them and the sides aren't flush with large gaps. The large drawer, under the fridge, has the bottom falling out of it and nothing has ever been put into it. And the list goes on. Do I try to fix all of this myself or do I take it back to the dealer and drop it off until they can make it right. How good is their warranty? Do the craftsmen at Jayco own a square? Not apparent from the carpentry. Everything is stapled not screwed and glued as they advertise. Advise would be helpful. The walk around at the dealer was inside so leaks didn't really stand out until it was outside in the weather. I could use some encouragement. Thanks

Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Since its such a recent purchase and you haven't even used it I would contact the dealer and let them know of the problems. Most dealers are good at repairs and Jayco seems to really stand behind the warranty. I took care of small problems that would have been more of a hassle to drag the TT to the dealer for repairs under warranty, I had three items that the dealer had Jayco ship the parts to me. Take pictures of all the items that need attention and forward to the dealer, this may help them to order the parts needed, this is usually the slow part waiting for parts.

Sundancer330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Iím almost in the same boat as you. Just took delivery on a x17z about 2weeks ago. I found numerous small things like loose moldings, shower wall caulk peeling, the track the curtains slide on was partly detached from the ceiling, and a ripped cushion on the underside.
I had to go back to the dealer to return a rhino sewer line and I explained to them what I found. I asked if they could replace the cushion and I would fix the other things. (Doesnít seem worth it to bring it back for such minor things that I can fix myself). To my surprise, they told me to bring back the trailer and they would fix everything I found that was wrong. I did fix the small things myself, but if I had a water leak like you have, I would be bringing it back to the dealer ASAP. Jaycos have a 2 year warranty that covers everything but the awning if I remember correctly.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

Take it back, you paid for the warranty. I have had good service for items under warranty. Do it soon so you don't lose any camp time.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #5

Thanks Sundancer. I'll go out and take pictures. The dealer, luckily, is only three miles from the house so that's one thing in my favor. Glad to hear Jayco stands behind their warranty.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

Thanks Downtown! I'll get it over there ASAP.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Thanks Ohio, I'll start on it in the morning.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

I just took delivery of a x17z Saturday. Monday I found that the front bed had like 2 gallons of ice and water. It looks like the seal is bad. The dealer is going to look at it but not for almost two weeks.

We took delivery on a 30 degree day and really did not like the idea of open the ends up and risk cracking the canvas. My bad. It appears that no else looked at it at the dealer either during the 6 weeks is was at their lot.

I know that camper have quality problems coming from the factory. Still it
kind of disheartening to have these problems on a new camper. Part of the reason you buy new is so everything will work well for awhile .....
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post
I just took delivery of a x17z Saturday. Monday I found that the front bed had like 2 gallons of ice and water. It looks like the seal is bad. The dealer is going to look at it but not for almost two weeks.

We took delivery on a 30 degree day and really did not like the idea of open the ends up and risk cracking the canvas. My bad. It appears that no else looked at it at the dealer either during the 6 weeks is was at their lot.

I know that camper have quality problems coming from the factory. Still it
kind of disheartening to have these problems on a new camper. Part of the reason you buy new is so everything will work well for awhile .....
Shame on that dealer for delivering in that condition, they sure didn't do their job and look it over. When I took delivery of my TT at the end of winter it was still cold so they pulled it inside and plugged it in, and this is a small dealer with maybe six bays. I would make sure they replace the bed and anything else in the area that will mold and stink after being exposed to water.
Sundancer330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #10

I agree! The small dealer I purchased from pulled the trailer in, plugged it in and had all systems up and running. The roof leaks i have could not have been seen until it was out in the weather but at least they are willing to get it in and fix it. I agree on having the front bed replaced!

Tags
hummingbird