Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #1

Jayco Build Quality - What is acceptable?

I purchased a 2018 Hummingbird 17FD on 1/18/18 so I've had it a month. Today it's raining so I went out to check it for leaks and water is coming in from the street side rear roof joint over the rear window. I have not used the trailer yet as I had to move the large drawer under the fridge 1/2" to the left so the slide would go in and out without hanging up on the drawer and binding the slide. The dealer winterized it and I found pink antifreeze under the sink so it has a leak there. The plywood base under the bed and dinette is warped and doesn't lay flat so it creaks when you sit or lay on it depending on which end you are on. Some of the furring strips are split from haphazard screw insertion. The kitchen counter top is short by a fraction from reaching the wall and the lower cabinets have staples blown thru them and the sides aren't flush with large gaps. The large drawer, under the fridge, has the bottom falling out of it and nothing has ever been put into it. And the list goes on. Do I try to fix all of this myself or do I take it back to the dealer and drop it off until they can make it right. How good is their warranty? Do the craftsmen at Jayco own a square? Not apparent from the carpentry. Everything is stapled not screwed and glued as they advertise. Advise would be helpful. The walk around at the dealer was inside so leaks didn't really stand out until it was outside in the weather. I could use some encouragement. Thanks
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #2

Since its such a recent purchase and you haven't even used it I would contact the dealer and let them know of the problems. Most dealers are good at repairs and Jayco seems to really stand behind the warranty. I took care of small problems that would have been more of a hassle to drag the TT to the dealer for repairs under warranty, I had three items that the dealer had Jayco ship the parts to me. Take pictures of all the items that need attention and forward to the dealer, this may help them to order the parts needed, this is usually the slow part waiting for parts.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I’m almost in the same boat as you. Just took delivery on a x17z about 2weeks ago. I found numerous small things like loose moldings, shower wall caulk peeling, the track the curtains slide on was partly detached from the ceiling, and a ripped cushion on the underside.
I had to go back to the dealer to return a rhino sewer line and I explained to them what I found. I asked if they could replace the cushion and I would fix the other things. (Doesn’t seem worth it to bring it back for such minor things that I can fix myself). To my surprise, they told me to bring back the trailer and they would fix everything I found that was wrong. I did fix the small things myself, but if I had a water leak like you have, I would be bringing it back to the dealer ASAP. Jaycos have a 2 year warranty that covers everything but the awning if I remember correctly.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #4

Take it back, you paid for the warranty. I have had good service for items under warranty. Do it soon so you don't lose any camp time.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

Thanks Sundancer. I'll go out and take pictures. The dealer, luckily, is only three miles from the house so that's one thing in my favor. Glad to hear Jayco stands behind their warranty.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #6

Thanks Downtown! I'll get it over there ASAP.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #7

Thanks Ohio, I'll start on it in the morning.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

I just took delivery of a x17z Saturday. Monday I found that the front bed had like 2 gallons of ice and water. It looks like the seal is bad. The dealer is going to look at it but not for almost two weeks.

We took delivery on a 30 degree day and really did not like the idea of open the ends up and risk cracking the canvas. My bad. It appears that no else looked at it at the dealer either during the 6 weeks is was at their lot.

I know that camper have quality problems coming from the factory. Still it
kind of disheartening to have these problems on a new camper. Part of the reason you buy new is so everything will work well for awhile .....
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post
I just took delivery of a x17z Saturday. Monday I found that the front bed had like 2 gallons of ice and water. It looks like the seal is bad. The dealer is going to look at it but not for almost two weeks.

We took delivery on a 30 degree day and really did not like the idea of open the ends up and risk cracking the canvas. My bad. It appears that no else looked at it at the dealer either during the 6 weeks is was at their lot.

kind of disheartening to have these problems on a new camper. Part of the reason you buy new is so everything will work well for awhile .....
Shame on that dealer for delivering in that condition, they sure didn't do their job and look it over. When I took delivery of my TT at the end of winter it was still cold so they pulled it inside and plugged it in, and this is a small dealer with maybe six bays. I would make sure they replace the bed and anything else in the area that will mold and stink after being exposed to water.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #10

I agree! The small dealer I purchased from pulled the trailer in, plugged it in and had all systems up and running. The roof leaks i have could not have been seen until it was out in the weather but at least they are willing to get it in and fix it. I agree on having the front bed replaced!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #11

I really think that every manufacturer (at this price point) is just trying to get them out the door as fast as they can. I don't know about other manufacturers, but Jayco apparently has no quality control department. I don't know if this is a result of Thor bringing Jayco down to their standards, or not.

That being said, the dealer is supposed to check each new unit 3 times... when they take delivery from the transport driver, when they sell the unit, and before the PDI.

Our dealer had everything running, and had seriously hosed the unit down from above and all sides, checking for leaks.

Remember, the transport drivers are not all that gentle when delivering the units, and it's the dealers responsibility to make sure the unit is in good condition before the customer takes delivery!

There is also customer responsibility... Do the PDI early in the morning, wear old clothes and be prepared to crawl all thru and under the unit with a flashlight. Expect to find leaks under the sinks, and make sure that EVERYTHING works. If something isn't right, make sure the dealer fixes it before you leave the lot... that's why you got there early.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post

The 2 gallons of water, might not be a bad seal. The dealer did this to us once, and I did it once prior. When closing up the bunk ends, it you get a little canvas sandwiched in the seal area, water will leak in. I am really careful now closing up the bunk ends.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #13

Due Dilligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
I really think that every manufacturer (at this price point) is just trying to get them out the door as fast as they can. I don't know about other manufacturers, but Jayco apparently has no quality control department. I don't know if this is a result of Thor bringing Jayco down to their standards, or not.

That being said, the dealer is supposed to check each new unit 3 times... when they take delivery from the transport driver, when they sell the unit, and before the PDI.

Our dealer had everything running, and had seriously hosed the unit down from above and all sides, checking for leaks.

Remember, the transport drivers are not all that gentle when delivering the units, and it's the dealers responsibility to make sure the unit is in good condition before the customer takes delivery!

There is also customer responsibility... Do the PDI early in the morning, wear old clothes and be prepared to crawl all thru and under the unit with a flashlight. Expect to find leaks under the sinks, and make sure that EVERYTHING works. If something isn't right, make sure the dealer fixes it before you leave the lot... that's why you got there early.
The PDI for us went ok, strangely enough. Our faults appeared after we got it home and out in the weather. 5" of rain in 24 hours prompted the roof leak and the sink didn't leak until after it was winterized at the dealer. These are just things to work through. When I bought a new Chevy years ago the salesman told me to bring it back for adjustments 'cause it's not a Cadillac. I guess that's true with anything.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #14

I had a chance to take a better look at the trailer today. There are several defects that are part of the problem. The handles for the bed door had broken and missing screws, and there were missing screws on the rim around top of the frame. The door can not be closed tightly. I took the cover off the space between the front inside and outside wall and saw water and warped flooring. Not sure if it's just the floor covering or the wood under it.

I am most concerned about the floor now. If the wood under the covering is warped that would seem like a huge deal to repair properly.

I put tape over the edges of the door to try to seal it and put a trap over it.
I am hoping that will at least keep most water out. I do not believe it will make it water tight. I left a message with the service manager saying I think they need to do some soon to prevent more damage. I'll see what the response to that is when I try to contact them tomorrow.

Frankly, at this point I would like them to send the camper back to the factory and get me a replacement. I don't feel that I should end up with a damaged trailer when I paid for a new one. I doubt that that will happen.

And you are right I did not get up on a latter inspect it close enough to catch the broken and missing screws. My bad.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #15

Picture of a bunk bed seen at the just concluded Richmond VA RV Show. If I owned a RV dealership, no way this trailer would have made it to the show.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180209_153214793.jpg  

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #16

You mean this at the Seattle RV Show
Attached Thumbnails
9A24732E-02DD-4E7B-9324-4948056A5851.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #17

Or this andtheir both Jayco! What is happening with this company. And this was at the RV show in Seattle. There were more defects but I didn’t have the heart to take any more pictures seeing that I favor Jayco. The door frame was completely pulled away from the dinette base. I brought my daughter to the show for her to pick out a Travel Trailer she liked and she actually left empty handed. Something really needs to be done in this industry to build customer confidence .
Attached Thumbnails
F24AAE24-0BC4-4578-B24E-1CA66CBB48AC.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:56 AM   #18

And the dealers that bring these are stupid. If I were looking at a RV show, and saw the stuff you took pictures of, and that I took pictures of, there is no way I would a) buy from that dealer and b) get that brand of trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Or this andtheir both Jayco! What is happening with this company. And this was at the RV show in Seattle. There were more defects but I didn’t have the heart to take any more pictures seeing that I favor Jayco. The door frame was completely pulled away from the dinette base. I brought my daughter to the show for her to pick out a Travel Trailer she liked and she actually left empty handed. Something really needs to be done in this industry to build customer confidence .

Old 02-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Picture of a bunk bed seen at the just concluded Richmond VA RV Show. If I owned a RV dealership, no way this trailer would have made it to the show.
We walked into a trailer at a show and saw kids using the bed as a trampoline. Not sayin that is what happened here but campers do take a beating at shows. Out of control kids and "grown ups" not much better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #20

Don't think it was the case here. We were there early, right after it opened, and didn't see any kids. School had not let out yet around here.

Not to say kids had not used it as a trampoline at the dealer. Still, why would a dealer bring something like that. I'd have it fixed before bringing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
We walked into a trailer at a show and saw kids using the bed as a trampoline. Not sayin that is what happened here but campers do take a beating at shows. Out of control kids and "grown ups" not much better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tags
hummingbird