Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Jayco Climate Shield package ????

I have alot of Newbie questions about the Climate Shield package on our 5er. I'm Trying to figure out how it works to camp in colder weather and prolong winterizing the 5er. Do you still need to drain your water tank while traveling on the road or is there a electric heater on the water and dump tanks and if so how do you turn it on. OR is it just from your heater duct work that keeps things from freezing below and you have to be plugged in and running your furnace for the climate shield to work in cold weather. I watched the video about it but it doesn't say how it works. I do know this summer we camped for a week in 108 temp and it sayed right at 70` with one ac running so I know its well insulated.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Don't think there are any elect tank heaters, but that is a guess. If you don' have a switch in the control panel then it is a definite no. I can say that we've been out in 17 degree weather and our MH does not have all the extra insulation and nothing froze and I was not using the furnace just elec space heaters so no warm air was blowing into the utility compartment. You can run the furnace while traveling, your tow vehicle will supply enough charge to keep the batteries up, you don"t need shore power.

And I'm glad to hear it works we just ordered a new PINNACLE.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

I too do not know about the heaters. We have double AC's on the camper. We can usually keep the camper at 70 degrees with one AC due to insulation. Even on humid and 90 to 100 degree temps it has stayed cool. If we want it really cold we turn on the second AC.
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Just a FYI-my 2015 Grayhawk did come with tank heaters. There is a rocker switch in the bathroom that is tagged "tank heater". I haven't had to use it yet in this 90 degree weather.
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

I know you can buy aftermarket tank heater pads for your fresh water, grey and black water tanks. I looked into it before but decided I didn't want to camp in freezing weather bad enough to justify the cost =)!

From what I remember, they are pads that you attach to the bottom of your tanks. They run on 12volt power and only warm up to like 35 degrees or something. It prevents tanks from freezing.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote