Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Jayco Customer Service

So I ordered a set of Goodyear G614 tires for my fifth wheel. I pulled off a wheel to confirm whether the wheels are 110 psi rims. Couldn't find any marking on the wheel indicating whether they are capable of the 110 psi. So I called the much vaunted Jayco customer service. After 10 minutes of frustration explaining to the customer service representative that I know the current tires are 80 psi but I want to know if the wheels are rated for a higher tire pressure, she tells me that Jayco does not recommend upgrading tires and if I do then I may void the warranty. I still don't think she understood my request, and what I found most frustrating is the representative did not offer or accept my request to take my question further up the food chain or refer it to someone in the appropriate department. She continued to just repeat that Jayco does not recommend any modifications different that how the trailer was manufactured and that any modifications may void my warranty.

I have since emailed the customer service department with the same question and I await a written answer to my question.

If this is the customer service sold to me then I was sold a bill of goods. I don't care if the wheels are rated or not for higher pressures, I just want to know what they are rated for.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #2

I have seen wheels where the maximum pressure was stamped on the inside of the wheel. You need to actually remove the tire to see the warning, odd huh.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
She continued to just repeat that Jayco does not recommend any modifications different that how the trailer was manufactured and that any modifications may void my warranty.
It's probably the response the legal dept told them to say. You or somebody else makes those or other changes and then has a major problem because of it. It would then be JAYCO said it was OK so they need to fix it. They are just doing a typical CYA as do many companies.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's probably the response the legal dept told them to say. You or somebody else makes those or other changes and then has a major problem because of it. It would then be JAYCO said it was OK so they need to fix it. They are just doing a typical CYA as do many companies.
Lawyers will make anyone Grumpy.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Lawyers will make anyone Grumpy.
X2
Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

If the existing wheels have threaded metal valve stems then they are probably rated for the higher pressure. When I traded my designer in on the new pinnacle I was going to have them swap my new G614s with the factory supplied tires keeping the new wheels. The pinnacle wheels were not rated for the higher pressure so I kept my existing wheels and G614s and had them put them on the pinnacle.
I never thought to ask the dealer if I would void the warranty I am now wondering what would happen if I made a claim concerning the rolling chassis. It did not effect my claim when the converter failed and the dealer replaced it under warranty.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Its amazing how companies need to CYA these days. It's kinda sad but there is no such thing as an accident or mistake any longer. Once that happens everyone starts positioning themselves for legal consequences.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Has anyone considered the possibility they don't know?

I'm sure when they are pipelining wheels Jayco provides a minimum spec yo support 80PSI, so maybe the OEM isn't always consistent with what they ship to Jayco. I know most alum wheels are made from the same blanks, just some are tested to a higher spec. Therefore Jayc's CYA statement could be accurate, they don't recommend the change since they don't know the specifics of you wheels.

If I was going to upgrade my tires like your considering, I would be also getting wheels that prefer over the factory ones anyway.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

Well I know when I toured the factory I asked questions about wheel tire and axle combos for the trailers and the rep told me they set the axle and wheel combos up specifically to only do the loaded weight because if someone had the ability to carry extra weight they might choose to do so and that could set them up for problems should something happen. To my thought I don't like the idea of being on the bubble when it comes to my tires ability to perform under full load condition all the time. I would rather have a buffer of at least a few hundred pounds on tires,axles and wheels. If I should choose to go with 10 ply tires on mine that can take 80 psi and 350 lbs more per tire that shouldn't be considered a warranty deal breaker but instead a move towards a safer journey and maybe a little better economy going down the road with tires that aren't overtaxed and overheating. My two cents
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #10

I heard the same BS when I was looking at a new Rockwood. When I ordered my WH 27DSRL Itold the dealer I wanted load range D tires on the trailer rather than the Chinese-supplied C-rated that come from the factory. Dealer agreed. I paid $400. to upgrade to Kumho D-rated tires all around (incl. the spare). I don't intend to overload the trailer. But I feel as though i have a margin of safety that wasn't there from the factory.
Glen
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #11

As long as you go back to.your selling dealer for service I doubt very much that you will ever have a warranty problem. The exception being you do something to directly cause the damage/failure or your dealer is a jerk.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

So it looks like now I need wheels as well. So if I need wheels why not go to the 17.5 inch option. Here is the reply I received from Jayco this morning.

"According to our wheel/tire supplier the wheels on your unit are rated at 3580lbs and 80 psi. You would need to upgrade the wheels to go to the G rated tire. Hope this helps."
Old 03-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #13

If you base air pressure on load and not maximum pressure as listed on the tire doesn't a G rated tire carry the same weight as an E at a lower pressure?
ex: E =3,500 at 80 G= 3,700 at 80. (these are not exact numbers just an example)
Old 03-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #14

Are you suggesting keeping the current rims but running the better tire at 80 psi? I am not a tire guru so I don't have a handle on the ramifications of that decision. Wouldn't side wall flexing and heat be an issue running 30 psi under max?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #15

I checked the Goodyear chart and running the G614 at 80 psi would only get me 3042 lbs. per tire. That's 538 lbs. per tire less than my current set up. My axle weight (at full GVWR) is 12,400 so running the 614's at 80 doesn't even allow me to fill the camper up.

Still looks like I have three options, 1: Keep the China bombs. 2: Buy better 80 psi tires. 3: Buy 110 psi rims and get the 614's. 4: Upgrade to 17.5 inch rims and rubber.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #16

cariboocreek,

(1) Get a hold of an inflation chart for your desired tire from the manufacturer.
(2) Visit your friend the Cat scale to know your weights.
(3) Inflate according to chart when you know the weights.

Happy tires!

This is pretty much what I do. My tires are much more capable than the actual load. Inflated quite a bit below max inflation. They always run cool.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #17

cariboocreek,

Just read your follow-up post. I am anal retentive regarding tires and safety. I would go the 17.5 inch route.

I worked my approach up on paper with the goal of running at 80% of specified capacity. Actual result is 78%.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #18

Jayco customer service is no service in MO.
My question to them was "I have 15" wheels. I need a larger tire size to raise the height to get a level pull with my truck. Will a 16" tire and rim fit. I'm looking at getting
ST-T11-66655BM 16x6 T11 Sendel Aluminum Trailer Wheel, 6 on 5.50 Lug, 3,200 lb Capacity and ST-C5151431 ST235/85R16 Carlisle Radial Trailer Tire LR E 3,640 lb Capacity.
The reply; "Unfortunately, we can not recommend put anything on the unit that it did not come with or is not an option. '
My response; "I wasn't asking for a recommendation, I asked if it would fit?"
Their reply; "I’m sorry but we do not test in the factory for that size, so
we could not verify that that application would work."

I'm checking with the axle mfg.

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Diesel
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14man View Post
My question to them was "I have 15" wheels. I need a larger tire size to raise the height to get a level pull with my truck. Will a 16" tire and rim fit. I'm looking at getting
ST-T11-66655BM 16x6 T11 Sendel Aluminum Trailer Wheel, 6 on 5.50 Lug, 3,200 lb Capacity and ST-C5151431 ST235/85R16 Carlisle Radial Trailer Tire LR E 3,640 lb Capacity.
The reply; "Unfortunately, we can not recommend put anything on the unit that it did not come with or is not an option. '

What would you expect them to say? If they haven't tested it, they haven't tested it.

I manage a sales team, we sell medical capital equipment to hospitals. Constantly we are asked about modifiactions and/or off label use with the equipment. All we can say is that is not the intended use and don't recommend it. If pushed I can let them know it their equipment to do as they please, but use other than as intended will limit or eliminate our responsibilty and liability.

Essentally that is what Jayco told you. Now changing tire size is really not as extreme of an example as medical equipement. But liabilty is liabilty and they hedge there risk just as we do as a medical device company.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14man View Post

This is a legal answer. If they said yes and you had a problem they would be at fault, at least according to a lawyer. I can understand there attitude, with our litigious system they have to protect themselves. Does your tire guy say the same thing?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote