Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #21

One other thought is do you have a residential refrigerator, two 15K A/C units, large screen TV and other expensive equipment? Residential fridge if it fails and needs replacement they may have to remove a slide out to remove. Just things to think about.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #22

This is really something you must decide for yourself. You know your financial situation, no one else does. The people saying they are "a waste of money" are only correct if it is never needed, which is what we would all hope for...a problem free RV. But that also means your insurance is a waste of money if you never have an accident, also something we all prefer. With the expensive items that are on many RVs today, all it takes is one of them to go out for this to pay for itself. If they never do then you have been fortunate and should be happy.

I will say this, if you purchase an extended warranty make sure you buy their best one. There are typically 2 types of Vehicle Service Contract, which is what these actually are.
1. A stated component contract. This means that whatever fails on your unit MUST SPECIFICALLY BE LISTED in the contract to be covered. So, if something goes out not named in the contract you will foot the bill for that. It doesn't mean the contract is not good, just that you were unfortunate enough to have a failure not listed.

2. An exclusionary contract. This means that, unless the failed component or the cause of failure is SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED, then it is covered by the contract. There will usually be a small list of excluded items, but will nearly always include roofs, trim, and other structural items. There will also be a list of excluded conditions. Included will usually be if the unit is used commercially or lived in full time.

These are all things to consider, and an important reason to read these portions of the contract before buying. Know whether or not you MUST return to the selling dealer. Are their roadside assistance benefits and, if so, what are they?
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #23

Totally agree with mbell5263. I only use exclusionary plans. Coach-net and Wholesale Warranties are two providers. I personally use Coach-net and if you want a nice person to speak with PM me. I do not receive any compensation. This is only from my personal experience. Remember it is a form of insurance you hope you never need. I will happily tell you more if you have questions. Disclaimer I am not a expert.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #24

Another thing I meant to include is this...you MUST have prior authorization BEFORE any repairs are made, and the repairs must be from a licensed repair facility. That means that you can't purchase the parts and do them yourself and get reimbursed. You can't pay someone who works for an RV shop to do it on the side and get reimbursed. In the Houston Area, Holiday World sells 1st Extended Service warranty. They will not pay someone to make a service call for diagnosis, even if the repair is a covered repair. Many companies do. Holiday World also requires that you return to them for any repairs if you are within 100 miles of their location, many companies don't require that.

But, you need to be careful with the small, mobile operations. If they don't have the capital to buy the parts you need and install them prior to getting paid, avoid them! I have seen claims where the mobile technician diagnosed a problem but then didn't have the money to get the parts unless they were paid first. Pretty much all vehicle service contracts (VSCs) require that payment be made AFTER repairs have been completed. Some of these "companies" will submit an invoice for payment before ever ordering parts because they have no capital. Then, when they've been paid, they are hesitant to actually order your parts.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Manufactures warranty are normally 12mo.

Campingworld now has a two year plan

Good Sams cover another five years for your additional contract.
$50.00 you pay for the repair claim and they cove a lot.
Good Sam will extend or provide extended pland up to the RVs 14th year.

I am a retired full time RVr on a fixed income Do I want extension coverage? You better believe I want extension coverage. Your rig will travel 60-70mph for 100,000 miles..... Something gonna break... Not a matter of if, a matter of time..

My 2017 North Point has 4 slides (3 different types) and a huge residential fridge. If the fridge goes out the slide will have to come out to replace the broken fridge.

Have you made a claim yet?
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #26

Wow! For $772 I can buy 5 new tires and not have the hassle of dealing with a claim process. I always say no to extended warranties. They never cover what one needs and are money makers for dealers. when we bought ours, when all papers were signed I asked dealer why he didn't try to upsell us an extended warranty, He said not in business to take advantage of his customers!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Wow! For $772 I can buy 5 new tires and not have the hassle of dealing with a claim process. I always say no to extended warranties. They never cover what one needs and are money makers for dealers. when we bought ours, when all papers were signed I asked dealer why he didn't try to upsell us an extended warranty, He said not in business to take advantage of his customers!
You're confusing an extended warranty with road hazard coverage. Making a profit is why a dealer is in business. The COST of a vehicle service contract is actually pretty reasonable. On my 2020 Eagle 332cbok the actual COST of the coverage for an exclusionary contract for 5 years after the factory warranty expires was about $1250.00. What the dealer SELLS if for is another matter. A resonable markup, $300-$400 would still make the contract fair.

I hope you never need to do a major repair. But IF you do, will you still think he did you a solid?