Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Jayco extended warranty packages

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to this forum. Name is Rick. My wife and I just purchased a new 2020 Jayco 29RKS. Dealership will be storing it until March. They have offered the two extended warranty packages being the additional 5 year Cardinal Protection Plan as well as the Diamond Kote Protection Plan. Do any of you have knowledge of these two plans and if so what are your opinions as to their value over the basic 2 year factory warranty. It will cost us approximately $4500 Canadian for both packages. My only experience with extended warranty was a claim on a vehicle with faulty brakes that was a waste of money as it was disallowed as I did my own oil changes and did not have a "dealer" record of regular service. Thanks for any and all replies.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

My experience with extended warranties is they are not worth it. You are usually better off if you take the money you would pay for the extended warranty and set it aside in the bank.

Make sure you have anything identified and fixed in the trailer prior to the factory warranty expires. If anything should break you cannot fix on your own after the factory warranty has expired then use that money.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #3

Think about it..the companies that offer the extended warranties, offer huge commissions when a dealer sells the plan, up to 50% of the cost. The company also has overhead and employees and your paying for all of those costs also. Even after making payouts they still make a profit.. unless your the 1 in 100 that have major issues extended warranties don't make sense. You can do a lot of repairs for $4500. And you have the two year warranty plus all the component warranties

Good luck with your new RV, happy camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:38 PM   #4

I bought the extended warranty but wish I hadn't. I have had numerous problems with my new rig (2017 Greyhawk), all of which I fixed myself. Given the extended times a rig would have to wait to get warranty service, it is just not worth it.

If I had to do it again I would just set aside the money the extended warranty would cost and draw from it when repairs are needed. In my opinion a cash repair customer may get preferred treatment at a repair facility. You would also have more locations you could chose from for the repair.

In theory most major repairs should happen within the first year. At least that is how electronic devices used to be.

If you are handy and can do minor repairs, save the money.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #5

I'm in the "save your money" camp.

I figure like others that I'm pretty handy, and I don't want my rig held hostage at the dealership for repairs.

Plus for every account I've read of an extended warranty covering a particular issue, I've read multiples of that number where the warranty company has weaseled their way out of coverage. Similar to OP's experience with the brakes. Only it seems that RV warranties are even more unscrupulous. Seems like many of them will find any way they can NOT to pay a claim.

Even with the 2-year Jayco warranty, I figure I'm basically on my own. Thankfully, if I can't fix it, there is a local shop that does great work on the "house" portions of my rig. I just wish I had a good Ford dealership for the chassis; my closest one is not very good.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #6

I've only purchased extended warranties twice, once on a truck, once on a microwave. Something in my gut told me to buy it. Both paid off. The microwave was fixed four or five times for free. The truck (used) had to have the AC lines replaced shortly after purchased and later something else I can't recall but the combined cost was about $1000 more than the cost of the warranty.

Otherwise we never get them.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #7

Welcome to the JOF.
As previous posters have stated it can be a waste of money. It comes down to your comfort level. If you purchase it and never use it then it probably gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling that you felt you were covered for any major repairs. If you purchase it and need to use it then it could be a crap shoot. Some will tell you that it paid for itself but more will tell you it was a waste of money. Most plans are either inclusive where the warranty language tells you exactly what is covered or exclusive where they tell you what is not covered. If it's not listed in the details then it's not covered in an inclusive plan and it may be covered in an exclusive plan. Incidental damage is probably not covered in either plan.
Another feature of these plans is the extended warranty period (say 5 years) includes the manufacturer's warranty period. So if you purchase an RV from SOB and it has a standard 1 year warranty then you really only get an additional 4 years with the extended warranty. With Jayco you automatically get 2 years so an extended 5 year warranty only gets you 3 more years. Make sure to read the fine print before signing up.
If the money is in your pocket and you self insure yourself then any repair is covered and you can take it to any repair shop without asking for anyone else's permission.
Good luck and enjoy the lifestyle.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #8

I also say no to the extended warranty. It’s really just an insurance policy, you’re betting it will break and cost $4500 to fix it and they are betting it won’t. It’s not even a Jayco product, it’s some insurance company and if they go out of business you get nothing. That happened to me on a car.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

Most of the interior componets have their own extended warranties, such as the AC, Furnace, Water heater, etc., and the cost is very reasonable. Most roof materials are warrantied for 10-12 years. They should be included in the packet you receive from the dealer when you take delivery. Dealer extended warranties are just a bonus to the dealer for selling them to you.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You answered correctly yourself, they are a waist of money and only benefit the issuer.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #11

Extended warranties can also be purchased after the sale and from other sources. One plan I am looking at covers items such as seals and gaskets after the 90 day factory warranty and also pays up to 200.00 for a mobile tech. A plan that covers seals and gaskets on the chassis as well as the coach may be worth a look.

Read like the OP is from Canada so they may have different laws and coverages for extended warranties than we do.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #12

So my wife and I had to deal with the finance lady at the dealer yesterday.We bought a new 2019 248RBSW Jay Flight.

I told my wife before hand that we should not buy a warranty.

Heres what was offered.....

1)Route 66 Classic Plus Coverage 7 yrs. $2054.40

2)Maxxgard Diamond Ceramic Protection 5yrs. $1495

3)RoadSentry Tire Protection 7 yrs. $772

We stuck to our plan and did not buy any of them.
Thats a lot of money!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Good for you, image that money in the bank! Now remember if you do have any out of warranty costs, the first $4000 are paid from your savings.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #14

Manufactures warranty are normally 12mo.

Campingworld now has a two year plan

Good Sams cover another five years for your additional contract.
$50.00 you pay for the repair claim and they cove a lot.
Good Sam will extend or provide extended pland up to the RVs 14th year.

I am a retired full time RVr on a fixed income Do I want extension coverage? You better believe I want extension coverage. Your rig will travel 60-70mph for 100,000 miles..... Something gonna break... Not a matter of if, a matter of time..

My 2017 North Point has 4 slides (3 different types) and a huge residential fridge. If the fridge goes out the slide will have to come out to replace the broken fridge.

Attached Thumbnails
0916131059a.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #15

My suggestion is this...If you have the money to replace or repair an a/c or refrigerator without it putting you in a bind, don't by the warranty. However, people who say they are a waste of money are incorrect...for those who need them. If you buy an extended warranty and never have a failure then you'll likely think it was a waste of money, but that's like saying the insurance you bought is a waste of money because you never had an accident.

Don't listen to the salesman if he tells you "this covers everything" that's a lie. READ THE CONTRACT to see what is and is not covered. Make sure they don't REQUIRE you to take it to the selling dealer for repairs, some do even if you are up to 100 miles away. See if they offer coverage for someone to come to your location to diagnose and repair your problem. And remember, the price of these contracts are negotiable, much like the price of the RV. The company who administers the contracts charge a certain amount to the dealer. What the dealer charges YOU is up to them.

Why do I know all this about this product? Because I work for a company that sells through dealerships this very product. Profit is made on these by having more contracts that don't have claims than those that do, but if they can't make profit why be in business? But, unless you are buying an extremely high dollar RV $4500 is too much money.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #16

We bought a Good Sam warranty in 2015. It has paid for itself 2 times over cost. Schwintek slides require extended warranty last repair was $4000.00. Busted Spring shackles $700.00. LCI leveling system $1750.00 1 st time and $1200 second time.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #17

Look at Coach-net or Wholesale Warranty for pricing. They are exclusionary policies and tell you whats not covered. Also use your factory warranty and before it expires then purchase a service contract. Dealerships make big bucks.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #18

I hated the warranty that came w my purchase of used 2008 Seneca. Got rid of it as soon as I could and purchased one w Good Sam’s. That was my lucky day. A year later just before renewal, i broke down , again, while traveling. Before this I had been towed 3 times in 18 months. All mechanics fixed one thing and sent me on my way.

This time lucky for me I was in Kanab, Utah, and met Jed Bowman at Bowman’s Diesal. He wouldn’t let me go until he found the problem, not like other times I broke down. He pursued it until he got the answer. Turned out I not only had a leaky radiator, which I was nursing along w Stop Leak successfully, but needed a new engine, GMC.

Anyway, long story, Jed worked carefully w Good Sam and diligently. Out of $20,000 bill, they paid $15,000, and I had the rest. That could have been a real nightmare.

Thank you Jed Bowman and Good Sam’s.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #19

Hi on my last RV I bought the extended warranty packages. Rv 5 years extra, Gap insurance and tire warranty. Then decided after 6 months I didn’t want them. So I call sell dealer and requested the forms to cancel and they emailed them to me. I kept the gap insurance only. Well this is how the process works, fill out forms send back to purchasing dealer and they will send to finance company and finance company will credit any unused portion of money to the principal of the loan. So the amount refunded will only go to princ unless you trade the unit in and those amounts will be reimbursed to you directly. Same as buying extended warranties when buying a new vehicle. Then 2 yrs later I traded to unit in with a another rv dealer and only bought the gap insurance again. Hope this helps.
JimM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #20

Save your money. Beyond the standard warranty, when you must shell out for repairs, use the money to get immediate service and save your vacation.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote