Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

Jayco factory tour

I found this thread on My RV Talk and as an about-to-be Jayco owner April 18th, I'm wondering what you all think about it.
http://www.myrvtalk.com/rv-manufactu...tory-tour.html

I'm not surprised really, and I'll go with Jayco's generally high ratings.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #2

I dont know...hard to say...one man's impression of chaos may be a well orchestrated machine of putting together RVs....

Jayco has a good rep and I have been very happy with the workmanship so far. It is not like cars of today that are 100% made by robots...there is some hand workmanship and therefore some human imperfections....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

I am not one bit surprised after getting our new Jayco last month. They surely missed a few things but the dealer took care of most of them. Like most factory work it is PRODUCTION first. Most RV companies have the same workforce and the same rush rush policy to get them built. Some do use higher quality components and I believe that Jayco is one of them. Fit and finish is much better than it was on the Keystone 5er we had.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Site Team

LOL, sound like the people from that forum are happy with the non-Jayco they have. I'm guessing we won't see them here!

Don and I did a factory tour when we went back to pick up our tt Sept. 09. We were actually impressed by the tour (5th wheel being built) but wished we could see what it looked like for our tt to be built. We liked the most of the products that Jayco uses and builds themselves. I personally didn't see any shoddy work however that doesn't mean that the new owner of the 5er being built was completely happy with zero warranty issues While we were doing our walk through, the workers seemed to be working quickly and efficiently.

The tour for us gave us an appreciation of what all goes into building an RV. I posted a video that we found on youtube where you can see an edited tour by John (the guy that does the tours for Jayco). I'll find the link and repost it on this thread for anyone interested in what a tour could look like
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Site Team

How a Jayco is Built -video-

How Jayco's are Built -video-

Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

I love Jayco...but I have to say..they overplay the "Amish" quality as do other manufacturers. I respect the Amish, but they are just building to the specs and materials provided by Jayco...

Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

I get a kick out of The Amish workers using power tools.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

I have to admit I am a little ignorant on some of these good folks. I do know that up where I am from we have lots of Mennonite families. I think they are similar but they use technology and they build very high quality products.

I think that when you advertise the fact though, it looses some of its luster....

Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #9

The trailer build shown within http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...68163#32468163 does looks impressive... However.... Do watch the video again and focus on the below items:

- 3/8" plywood sheeting on their floor is sanded down in some spots. Thus, its now down to 1/4" thick. Way "too thin" for a floor. IMO, 3/4" plywood must be used on the floor. Thus, eliminating squeek - squeek when walking across its floor.
- Their floor wood supports (which are 2x2s) are 24" apart. Stick house minimum code is 16" centers. Being a TT, I would make 12" apart.
- Windows are "dry fit". After 2-3 years (when factory warranty is over), they start to leak. IMO, the windows need to be fit with putty - the old method of installing windows.
- They use traditional fibre glass batts. This stuff has very low insulation value. And, that stuff loves to hold (and wick) water. And, they don't even use vapour barrier on their insulation either. Their factory insulation is very bad construction method as well.
- Within the video, one can see many different areas where "much better" spray foam can be used. Used within the walls, ceiling and under belly areas. IMO, Closed Cell - 2 lbs should be used instead of "water sucking" batts.
- Their roof lacks dicor caulking on this roof edge. Thus, after 2-3 years (when warranty is done), water starts to wick under the outer edge of the roof.
- Their front upper lights are dry installed as well. For much better seal, they need putty (silicone) behind them. Then, screwed down - sucked into the soft putty (for much better seal).
- They guy at the trailer's tonque is "back pulling" in the underbelly wires. Watch the installer's body posture. He's pulling way "too much" on its under belly wiring.

These are the few items I noticed within the video. If Jayco wants to have higher quality than its competitors, they need to apply more quality in many different areas. And, they need to stop thinking about time. re: Pump out 1 x TT every 6 hours. I'd rather have a TT built in 7 hours with thicker floor, more floor supports, better insulation, putty fit windows and wiring that isn't too tight. To me (the buyer), I want quality. And, knowing their pump out a TT every 6 hours doesn't impress me. More quality would impress me much more...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Site Team

(Hmmmm maybe that's why we have that new floor squeek by the fridge!)

Spike and the guy from that other forum would help Jayco out bunches if you/he could pass that information onto the supervisor in charge at the factory. They can instill changes with the workers if they become aware of them (assuming they really don't know I guess).. )