Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Jayco "Jayflight" 2006 Model (Katrina Trailer)

Hi all, Im living in a 2006 Katrina Trailer that is hooked up to the city's electricity.

It says im currently using about ~250 kWh (lights off, a/c off, fridge and microwave running, water heater off). Sometimes, when I have the A/C turned on and lights turned on and computer running etc It says im using ~150kWh. I wonder why it seems to be higher right now (when my ac is off, all the lights are off, and the only thing being powered is the fridge, microwave and this laptop that im writing on)

Is this an exorbitant amount of energy being consumed?
I have never owned a trailer before and also have never had to worry about paying for electricity, all this stuff is new to me.

I guess what I'm asking is, does ~250kWh seem right for a trailer that has no lights turned on and is really only powering a laptop to talk to you folks on?

Regards,
Jayflight
Jayflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #2

Hey Jayflight - first of all - welcome to the forums! Good username - how has no one taken that already?

How are you measuring your power usage? I am a little confused by your measurements....Are you meaning you are pulling 250 watts (about 2 amps) at all times? You also said when the AC is on, your power goes down to 150 - so again confused.

No big deal -- we can work through it, just trying to understand how you are measuring.

Your laptop will probably pull between 40-90 watts, your antenna amp and LP gas detector will be pulling at all times, and your converter is charging your battery so it will pull as well -- so 250 watts is not unreasonable to be pulling "at rest".

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

yes as odd as that sounds, when i've got all my electronics turned on the average reading was around 175 kWh. but now, for some reason (its such a beautiful texas day) my a/c is turned off and its reading higher @ ~250kWh.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

I'm confused - how are you determining your usage? kWh is a reading over time - such as 175 watts for 1 hour or 87.5 watts for 2 hours not an instantaneous measurement.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

Do remember that some 110V and 12V devices will "energize" the end device - even when the device's user switch is turned off. And, also remember the 110/12V Converter runs invisably in the back ground as well. CO Detector is always powered as well.

For a cool diagram of typical RV wiring, surf: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...VRVDiagram.jpg

Note: If you want RV/TT disconnected from shore power and keep its 12V battery charged (assuming your TT has an onboard battery), one might install a Solar / Charger panel. This works for many...

To discover your TT's 12V or 110V "Parasitic Drain" (re: http://batterychargerstore.com/what-...tic-drain.html), simply monitor current draw and slowly flip breakers. Or, slowly pull 12V fuses. If monitored current suddenly drops, you found the device that is "sucking" the background invisible power.

Hope this helps...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

A question for you;
With your city electric hook-up, is there a pre-paid amount for each month, and if so, does that meter show the remaining amount? The city down the road from us does that. So, perhaps the meter calculates based on the present usage rate. That may be why is shows higher kwh when you're using very little (more available). To give an idea of quantity, a full month of consumption is about 600 kwh for our home's entire needs.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
A question for you;
With your city electric hook-up, is there a pre-paid amount for each month, and if so, does that meter show the remaining amount? The city down the road from us does that. So, perhaps the meter calculates based on the present usage rate. That may be why is shows higher kwh when you're using very little (more available). To give an idea of quantity, a full month of consumption is about 600 kwh for our home's entire needs.

My city charges per use not pre-paid, although I would be interested in trying something like that out.

My jay-flight did not come with a battery unfortunately but i am VERY interested in the solar panel option.

Would I be able to per say charge the battery, then unplug from city electricity run til battery dies, hook back up then repeat process?
This would be my ideal way of powering the trailer, unless the solar panel will charge the battery WHILE i power the trailer from it.

Sorry to confuse everyone with this post I guess I should've warned that I have never bought energy from a company before this is my first trailer and first time living on my own, Im just trying to make sure the energy company isnt jipping me out of money because i feel that with full power running (one light, fridge, ac, and stove/micro) i should not be paying very much money for electricity (less than 100 a month, hell less than 50 is what i'd like)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

hey guys while this thread is still active can someone help me figure out the true make and model of my trailer? the owners manual says 2006 jayco jayflight, and im unsure of whether it is or is not technically a hurricane katrina trailer. but its simplistic utilitarian setup seems like it is in fact a fema model.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #9

Your best bet is to try to go to Jayco.com and look at all the Jayflights. They have an archive and you can go back and look at all the 2006 floorplans and see if you can match it up. If you can find your VIN, you can also email Jayco and they should be able to give you details.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #10

Maybe you took the measurement when the fridge was cycling?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote