Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

Jayco plus extended warranty

Any one know much about it and/or if its worth the money? I've looked around a little online with not much info. Basically i understood it to be an additional 5 years on top of the factory 2 years.....but it only covers little nickel and dime parts for the high doller stuff it covers look to me like.

Im skeptical of extended warrantys.....if it sounds too good to be true, then if probably is ha.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #2

I didn't purchase one.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:55 AM   #3

I finally found some literature on it, after i figured out how to spell it correctly haha. Im not going to purchase it either. It really only covers small parts in the warrantied items it covers. Im a do-it-yourselfer any ways and i really dont think I'd ever get my money back with it for what it covers.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 AM   #4

Save the OEM manuals and refer to the Mfg Warranty....a few parts have longer than 2 years of warranty and have no limitations on original ownership. Almost everything is production coded for recall / warranty in today's world.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 AM   #5

Put the monthly cost of an extended warranty into a separate savings account, in 2 years when the Jayco warranty is up.... you'll be self insured against any problems if they were to arise, and if you never have to use the money..... throw a big party for all your RV friends ;-)
Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #6

If you ask anyone in the retail merchandise fields, they'll tell you extended warrantees are a huge money maker for retailer. Warrantees & credit cards pull in almost as much revenue as their merchandise, and they cost the dealer nothing. That's why they beat their employees up to sell them both. With all the limitations and exclusions, the chances of you breaking even on the deal are extremely small. Stay away from extended warrantees on anything!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by velorandy View Post
Put the monthly cost of an extended warranty into a separate savings account, in 2 years when the Jayco warranty is up.... you'll be self insured against any problems if they were to arise, and if you never have to use the money..... throw a big party for all your RV friends ;-)
I like that last part!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

A colleague was telling me about his new car purchase and how he figured he got a reasonable deal and didn't get caught buying any of the dealer add-ons like fiberguard, etc. But he did opt for the "extended warranty" and he said the sales guy actually made a loud "woop!" sound. He thought that was strange and was asking me what to make of it. Boy did I laugh and had to tell him that couldn't have been a good sign!! :-)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #9

Hi
When we brought the trailer we got a 72 month extended warranty on it. So far so good, It is going to pay for the water bypass valve being fix on Saturday. I am taking it to the dealer We brought it from $ 50 deductible not bad
Now do not laugh I brought a new car after the husband died ,the car I had was a 2006 Jeep liberty diesel ,all ready put enough money into it.
I was told when I brought the new car, Mazda I would get the extended warranty money back If I did not use it. ( They Lied ) Have had the car for 10 months now
I went straight back and made a big enough stink, that I am getting my money back.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

Bought our new TT yesterday with the 84 mo extended warranty. When the business manager offered it, I told her we were going to pass on it since I normally don't think extended warranties are a good value. My DW put her hand on my knee and looked me in the eye and said, "I want it."

That was the end of discussion.
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

When I purchased my Designer in August 2010 Jayco offered a no charge 3 year extended warranty to help dealers move 2010 inventory. I had already cut my deal on my Designer so I already had a bottom line number. When I went in to close a few days later they showed me the free extended warranty letter from Jayco so I know it wasn't added to my deal since the date of the announcement was after I cut my deal.

Since that time the extended warranty has paid for:

1 complete wheel/brake assembly
front jack motor and controller
large slide motor
2 Thetford pottys
1 microwave
Automatic transfer switch
Water heater propane control valve
Propane/CO detector
Jensen entertainment center
Complete Norcold refrigerator due to cooling system failure

I would most likely not have purchased the extended warranty and I don't remember at this point what the cost would have been, but it would have been less than the cost of a new Norcold so I'm pretty sure I would have been ahead of the game.

But then again, I would not have purchased it. I'm just glad I have it and it is good until August 2015.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

That a good boy, listen to the wife
Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #13

My dealer just emailed me the extended warrantee yesterday. I think I'm going to pass on it. $1700 for a warranty on a trailer that costs $17000 is a little too steep.
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #14

I took delivery of a new 29.5 bhds today. I declined the extended warranty. The dealer is 70 miles away. The deductible was 100.00. I am very capable of doing stuff myself. If I was to have a problem, by the time i bought the fuel to deliver and pickup the trailer and paid the deductible, i could buy the parts and fix it myself faster and with less hassle.....just my opinion though. The extra warranty was almost 3 grand in my case.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #15

Hi
Yes we paid $ 2300 for the extended warranty and this thing covers everything

I can fix some things, but cutting the water line and redoing under the kitchen sink.(no) For $50 dollar deductible I will take the trailer there and get them to do it right

Then if there is a problem then they can fix it.

I took the interior of the truck apart so I know how to use screw drivers and sockets Girl
Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #16

subtle hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
Bought our new TT yesterday with the 84 mo extended warranty. When the business manager offered it, I told her we were going to pass on it since I normally don't think extended warranties are a good value. My DW put her hand on my knee and looked me in the eye and said, "I want it."

That was the end of discussion.
I am so glad you were able to recognize that "subtle hint". It is amazing what a DW can do when she wants to make sure we get the meaning!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote