Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

Jayco power awning question

Good morning. Boy I am hoping someone can help me! I received my 2019 Jayco Jayflight 33RBTS and I really love it except..... the power awning. When we did our pre-inspect before delivery the awning was out. Upon talking to Greg we were told that since the awning goes over top our kitchen slide out which is about 2 ft, that the awning can not be adjusted. Seriously, Jayco puts on a 20 ft power awning over a slide and it can not be adjusted, it has to stay out straight? Well, we got our first rain right after it was delivered and we all know about the puddle that happens in the middle of the awning. We had to constantly go out and use a broom to get off the water. You got to be kidding me! Is this true that the power awning can not be adjusted over a slide? What a total waste of an awning. I am so frustrated. When we closed up the awning because of puddling, rain just ran down the door so you got soaked when you went out. This is nutz! Thanks for your input and suggestions.
gayefromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #2

If you find that the awnening cannot be adjusted Carefree does sell a type of strips that install under the awnening to bow it up a little so it doesn't hold water. That kind of seems like a pain to me but never using them I don't know how quickly they snap in place or come out. Maybe they would be worth it if you left your awning out for long periods of time.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #3

Similar setup on my 28rbks. However, I can lower 1 side enough to get it to drain. You just need to make sure that the corner of the slide doesn't poke a hole in it. I put a Frisbee between the awning and the corner.
timbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:53 AM   #4

How much space between the slide out and the awning? On my seneca which has a similar slide out I was able to drop the rear arms two holes which the runs the water to the back of the coach. Try dropping it a little and see if it hits if not you are good to go . Get a couple of pool noodles and put them on the slide then you can drop the awning even further without risk of wearing it out in that area. Of course this assumes you have an adjustable awning.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

In laws use a pool noodle on the top of their kitchen slide to protect the awning. They can lower the front of the awning enough to drain water.

These are the things that one should consider PRIOR to purchase though...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

I am sure their concern is the top edge and corners of the slide out damaging the awning. Pool noodles, copper water pipe insulation or some other similar method that is slit down the side and placed along the top and/or corners of the slide out will help protect the awning when adjusting lower.

You still may stretch the fabric a bit and you probably won't be able to lower it to it's lowest level but you won't puncture it that way and will help facilitate the water run off.

I have two "non starter" items for any RV floor plan we might consider. One is a slide out under the awning because it basically makes a good portion under the awning all but unusable as well as causes the issue your concerned about and two, having any of the vents/exhausts from a furnace, water heater, refrigerator, etc. on the camp side of the RV.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

Would a small blowup ball fit between slide & awning ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #8

yeah it would. Thanks!
gayefromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 AM   #9

Take a pool noodle, cut it to 12" long and put it on both corners of the slide, we did this and can dip either corner of the awning no problem. It rests nicely on the pool noodles. Or use black copper pipe insulation if you don't want a neon green pool noodle up there.
33RBTSFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #10
Site Team

One solution used years ago was to get about 6 gallon empty milk jugs. Tie the handles to a small rope every couple of feet. When set up, you throw the end thru between the slide and slide cover and pull it thru.

Kind of rube goldberg bit it worked.

There also was a product that resembled a blow up mattress or pool floatie that was wedge shaped and it could be inflated and slipped in between the gap. It came with a small pump for inflating and deflating.

BTW, I have 2 of them at a great price if anyone is interested, pm me for details.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #11

I leave the door side up and dip the other corner. No problems so far with water pooling.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
These are the things that one should consider PRIOR to purchase though...
My thoughts exactly! Why buy a problem. Poor design in my opinion.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote