Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #41

Greetings from Oregon.

Just dropped off our new 2018 39FLQS for warranty issues found during our first camp trip.

Stuck slide
Refer no refering
Entry door binding
Broken chair
Hose bib door flaps in the wind

I’ll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #42

I started this thread just to say the wife and I are happy with our Jayco. I saw many people on this form that were very unhappy with theirs. I have seen many happy with their Jayco.
I have never seen a manufacturer of major products be perfect every time. Was the web site true on the reviews? I do not know. I just linked what I found when I did a quality search, and that is what I typed in,"quality of RV's'" that link is one of the ones that came up.
Is it a put up that link, we can assume (ass-out of-u-&-me) on that or not. Only the thing is that I am happy with mine and my next door neighbor is happy with his.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack99 View Post
Our 2014 287BHBE was actually in good shape, quality wise, just a couple nits that the dealer fixed no problem.

Then there is the stupid dangerous issue we had, a year after purchase, where someone at Jayco should have been shot. This was so far into stupid that I could not even have conceived of it happening.

This model is a front bedroom unit. The bed sits on a 1/4" piece of plywood, with a piano type hinge at the headboard, and a plywood cross piece at 2 feet from the end of the bed, this piece is vertical, and forms a box like area where you can put blankets / pillows, etc. You can raise the bed up from the rear, and it pivots at the head, and we had "mr. dealer" put those lift piston things at the rear so it would stay up while you put stuff in, take stuff out.

So there we are, 2:30 AM, sleeping peacefully in our camp area, when WHAM!!! the front of the bed collapses and we are dumped into the cargo storage area at the front, head down, at an angle great enough you could not easily get out. Had there been some wood blocks, or maybe some torsion bars, jacks, or other largish things that people use the front space for, either of us could have had a serious injury, up to and including a neck fracture.

Why did this happen? Turns out, 1, 1/4 " thick plywood is not thick enough. 2, the piano hinges (2 each, 6 inch long by 2 inch pivots hinge) were installed in a load bearing position, in other words the hinge was supporting the full weight of 2 adults. Result, with the plywood attached below a 2" load bearing area, the attachment screws simply pulled free of the plywood and down comes the bed.

Most 4 year olds can see intuitively that this is an absolutely stupid bit of engineering. Did I take it back to the dealer? NO. I did call him and thoroughly chew on his buttocks though. Whether he informed the factory, I have no clue.

I fixed this myself, by putting a 2" x 2" 4' long cross block at the front, attached with 6, 3/8" x 4" lag screws that bolt the cross block to the front of the trailer, the new 3/8" plywood base now sits on this block at the front. I tossed the piano hinges and now use 4 strap type hinges, like on a gate hinge. These are not load bearing, they are properly installed so all they do is hold the bed front steady and allow it to pivot when the rear is raised. Finally, I put a cross bulkhead in that stands vertical with about 3/4" space between the bulkhead top and the bed plywood, so there is some give to it. And adding that makes the front storage area no longer a way for someone to crawl into the trailer from outside via the front storage.

Bottom line, anyone with front bedroom Jayco's had better take a very close look at how the bed front attaches to the trailer front. I don't see this as a quality issue, this was a stupid engineering issue, which means Jayco does not hire very intelligent engineers, or they simply do not bother.

cheers
cactus
Do not ask, but I have heard queen beds in homes fail in about the same way. Hmmmmmm things in the dark happen. Sorry I could not resist.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #44

We just sold our 2006 jayco and we didn’t have one issue in 12 years. Hopefully our new Eagle ht will be as good to us.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #45

The frailty of the bed seems to be the worst-kept secret about Jayco rigs. Ours partially broke our first night but nothing as bad as yours! I mentioned it to our dealer when we got back and they were very matter of fact about saying they would reinforce it. Obviously they’ve done a lot. I just did it myself. It’s now rock solid.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #46

I have a 2017 Jayco Octane 222 toy hauler that was purchased new. If I had any idea how poor the craftsmanship was, I would have not even considered owning a Jayco. The dealer found 3 or 4 things during the walk through and kept it for 4-6 weeks after it was purchased. I brought it home 30 miles and was just looking it over and learning. Found out that the repairs that they attempted failed. The next week while it was sitting at my residence I found about 5 or six other issues. It has been used 5 times for two or three days each by my son and I and there is a list of over 15 issues. Water leaks, propane leaks, you name it. I called to see when I could get it in for warranty repairs and their first appointment was over 3 months away. If I were to take it in they would have it for 3-6 months. I saw the video Jayco made bragging about how fast they were building these and it was obvious in the video that build it as fast as possible with absolutely no regard to build quality was their mission and they are proud of that. By far the worst purchase I have ever made and I can't imagine how anything could ever take away that title. I completely understand that a couple of problems are likely or even normal in the Rv industry but this is just insane. Looking forward to the day that I figure out a way to get away from Jayco and get in to something that quality and craftsmanship mean something. I have seen where people have had Jayco with little to no issues and I am happy for them as I would not wish my Jayco on anyone.
defrcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #47

Our 2017 Jayco 16XRB has been pretty good. Had some issues that I repaired, a bunch of fixes to make it "better than new" and other problems repaired at the dealer. Jayco has a two year warranty and I'm glad it does. Some of the repairs came after a year, a year of bouncing along the highway for thousands of miles. I have found Jayco customer service and willingness to perform warranty repair beyond reproach - it has been superlative.

I doubt if Jayco is a whole lot better or less good quality than it's competitors. I would certainly recommend it and consider buying the brand again, but there are other good trailers out there. It seems they are all built pretty much the same way but some have better features here or less good feature there. You really need to do your homework and then inspect it thoroughly and keep inspecting it thoroughly.

And you need to consider that maintenance and repair is a big part of the RV experience. Nothing comes out of a factory perfect and trouble-free forever.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack99 View Post
Our 2014 287BHBE was actually in good shape, quality wise, just a couple nits that the dealer fixed no problem.

Then there is the stupid dangerous issue we had, a year after purchase, where someone at Jayco should have been shot. This was so far into stupid that I could not even have conceived of it happening.

This model is a front bedroom unit. The bed sits on a 1/4" piece of plywood, with a piano type hinge at the headboard, and a plywood cross piece at 2 feet from the end of the bed, this piece is vertical, and forms a box like area where you can put blankets / pillows, etc. You can raise the bed up from the rear, and it pivots at the head, and we had "mr. dealer" put those lift piston things at the rear so it would stay up while you put stuff in, take stuff out.

So there we are, 2:30 AM, sleeping peacefully in our camp area, when WHAM!!! the front of the bed collapses and we are dumped into the cargo storage area at the front, head down, at an angle great enough you could not easily get out. Had there been some wood blocks, or maybe some torsion bars, jacks, or other largish things that people use the front space for, either of us could have had a serious injury, up to and including a neck fracture.

Why did this happen? Turns out, 1, 1/4 " thick plywood is not thick enough. 2, the piano hinges (2 each, 6 inch long by 2 inch pivots hinge) were installed in a load bearing position, in other words the hinge was supporting the full weight of 2 adults. Result, with the plywood attached below a 2" load bearing area, the attachment screws simply pulled free of the plywood and down comes the bed.

Most 4 year olds can see intuitively that this is an absolutely stupid bit of engineering. Did I take it back to the dealer? NO. I did call him and thoroughly chew on his buttocks though. Whether he informed the factory, I have no clue.

I fixed this myself, by putting a 2" x 2" 4' long cross block at the front, attached with 6, 3/8" x 4" lag screws that bolt the cross block to the front of the trailer, the new 3/8" plywood base now sits on this block at the front. I tossed the piano hinges and now use 4 strap type hinges, like on a gate hinge. These are not load bearing, they are properly installed so all they do is hold the bed front steady and allow it to pivot when the rear is raised. Finally, I put a cross bulkhead in that stands vertical with about 3/4" space between the bulkhead top and the bed plywood, so there is some give to it. And adding that makes the front storage area no longer a way for someone to crawl into the trailer from outside via the front storage.

Bottom line, anyone with front bedroom Jayco's had better take a very close look at how the bed front attaches to the trailer front. I don't see this as a quality issue, this was a stupid engineering issue, which means Jayco does not hire very intelligent engineers, or they simply do not bother.

cheers
cactus
They used to use 1/2" plywood under the beds, and they were quite adequate. 1/4" is obviously too light, along with that inadequate bracing described. Thats one heck of a wake up call at 2 30 lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #49

We are new to Jayco and our 2018 265rls has been problem free. Our first outing we had no hot water, called and they sent to our site a new board. Installed in minutes and working great. I think your dealer has alot to do with the unit and we give high praise to Colerain RV in Cincinnati, OH. Whether you are making your first camper purchase, or are a seasoned pro, their great staff is second to none in the Midwest!
maxdonport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdonport View Post
We are new to Jayco and our 2018 265rls has been problem free. Our first outing we had no hot water, called and they sent to our site a new board. Installed in minutes and working great. I think your dealer has alot to do with the unit and we give high praise to Colerain RV in Cincinnati, OH. Whether you are making your first camper purchase, or are a seasoned pro, their great staff is second to none in the Midwest!
Paid spokesperson? You don't see a lot of that here
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #51

No, not a paid spokesperson. We are full time, so using it everyday and no issues I think this is a great trailer.
maxdonport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #52

I believe common sense says you're probably going to get a biased response to a love-it-or-leave-it question in a product specific forum like JOF. Folks tend to join a forum much more for the positive camaraderie, than the negative. The folks that genuinely feel they got the short end of the stick with a particular product probably aren't going to hang around long. What would be the point. Who wants to hang around and rain on everybody's parade.

Quality is always a hot topic on any RV forum. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. The OP posted that "many Jayco owners have quality issues", then qualified that by saying quality issues "happen with any major purchase". It's easy to read between the lines. The key unspoken word here is, reassurance. Hopefully the OP found it.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:00 AM   #53

We bought a new 2018 315RLTS on memorial day. So far we have had 49 problems. Examples, furnace ducts not connected, slide out pieces found on the floor, stovetop didn't work, fridge died, the bottom fell out when the spare tire was lowered. The Dealer has been great. Can't say that for Jayco Customer disservice. They only want to get you off the phone.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #54

Thompson,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with Jayco service. We have had some anoying problems with our NP 315. Jayco service and a local dealer have both been very helpful in correcting our issues. Currently we have detected a crack in the sidewall. Same one that the 377 guys are having. I sent an email to Jayco and they responded within 24 hrs asking when they could pickup the unit to bring it back to the factory for repair.
Our local dealer, Southern RV of Mcdonough has been great to deal with, even though we did not purchase from them.
Wayne
Ram Laramie 3500, asin, 4x4, DRW 4:10.
2018 NORTH POINT 315, 8K Axles,disk brakes and 17.5"
WayneTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We bought a new 2018 315RLTS on memorial day. So far we have had 49 problems. Examples, furnace ducts not connected, slide out pieces found on the floor, stovetop didn't work, fridge died, the bottom fell out when the spare tire was lowered. The Dealer has been great. Can't say that for Jayco Customer disservice. They only want to get you off the phone.
Ouch! Every once in awhile we see a trailer like this come from Jayco. From a dealer stand point, it should of never gotten to you like that. I make my "prep" guys check everything before the RV goes out. I am glad to hear the dealer has been good about fixing it for you.

Gives a customer a bad taste seeing things like you experienced. Some customers are not so understanding. When I purchased my trailer, the shop found missing lap sealant on bathroom fan, Many trim pieces loose, black tank valve leaked, and hot/cold switched on shower. All of this was fixed before I took delivery. I have had no issues since. My wife thinks this TT is a gem. Little does she know of all the issues it had before we took delivery. Small issues but still they are issues.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdonport View Post
I also bought mine from the same dealer. Luckily I live only 10 minutes from them. The first year I owned my TT they were great with resolving the minor issues we found (my first ever RV - so I needed a learning curve). I also did not feel "pressured" from the salesman!. Once I was on a Lake Superior campsite without hot water and they talked me thru it over the phone (had to re-light the pilot light). However the last couple times I brought mine in for minor stuff I noticed more and more staff turnover. There was a couple items that did not get done and were just ignored and it has changed my mind a little about their service. My wait time to get in for service is usually around 2-6 weeks which doesn't sound too bad compared to most.
I have had no where near the complaints on my unit that I have read recently on the forum and I'm very thankful for that!!
Glad you found a dealer you are comfortable with - that's half the battle!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #57

I have a very general question here. Does anyone from Jayco corporate ever read these posts or forums and if so does it have any effect the corporate policies and procedures or are we just all singing to the choir here. We are very happy with our Jayco but I see that others are not I was so happy and I wonder if there can be that much variance in the quality of the product. If there is that much variance the company must be aware of it but what do they do about it?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #58

New to my Jayco but happy so far wtih quality

It's my understanding that the quality control could be better but the warrantee support for Jayco seems good. They actually know about the quality problems you may have and expect the product to be fixed after it is sold.

I bought mine about 6 months ago and used it every second weekend for a few months. Found a number of problems and build my list. None were major and a few I thought I could just live with. I brought it in and they fixed everything and did a great job on it. They made sure I mentioned everything I noticed down to the smallest item. I have one more item I found and will bring it in again but everything else is working perfectly and I expect another great season this year.
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
I have a very general question here. Does anyone from Jayco corporate ever read these posts or forums and if so does it have any effect the corporate policies and procedures or are we just all singing to the choir here. We are very happy with our Jayco but I see that others are not I was so happy and I wonder if there can be that much variance in the quality of the product. If there is that much variance the company must be aware of it but what do they do about it?
Odds are very high they do IMO. However, seriously doubt they would ever acknowledge it by engaging anyone publicly in one of these forums. They have their official channels for resolving problems that work most efficiently for them.

As for variance in quality, I have no doubt they're aware of it. Unfortunately, Jayco and every manufacturer in Indiana faces an absolute up-hill battle with quality. The reason? The manufacture of stick-built trailers is extremely labor intensive and involves the use of a lot of wood---an organic material that constantly shrinks, expands, and moves. The placement of every single piece of wood, screw, staple, and bead of glue is ultimately decided by hundreds of different individuals---who may be trained, having a good day, and meeting their quota---or not. There's no QA in the world that can directly oversee that many hands-in-the-pie without driving up costs massively. Sometimes all it takes is one missing or miss-placed screw to create a massive warranty headache for some unfortunate customer a few months later.

Automation and robotics is precisely why automobiles are so reliable and have significantly low quality issues these days. Automated robots are extremely precise, don't need training (just good data) and rarely have a bad day. Bottom line, the less humans hands (and organic materials) are involved in a given process, the less chance of a quality variance. It is what it is.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I would add to this the responsibility of the buyer. Doing proper research then one will know what's going on with this RV industry. The RV industry knows what's going on and I'm sure they will try todo the best they can to solve internal and external operations.
The RV demand is still at present so quality has to suffer as there is still labor shortage in the RV industry. So it is buyer be aware before you buy...…...….that's the buyers responsibility.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote