Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #41

thanks for your post. Im a retired auto repair tec for a big company an military engineer. this is my 5th rv. 2 of them new. this rv i did my best with all of what i knew an came out with issues. you dont look for a jayco forum unless you own one. didnt know it existed. thanks again all of you that posted. Didnt want to stir up an feathers or get ripped. in the end my goal is to get though this an spend retirement time with most of you positive people.
bill obenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #42
Site Team

You've come to the best Forum on the planet! Our dealer we bought our Jayco from told us about this Forum, back in 2012. I've been here ever since. I just checked myself for feathers....can't find any!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #43

lol.
bill obenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
You've come to the best Forum on the planet! Our dealer we bought our Jayco from told us about this Forum, back in 2012. I've been here ever since. I just checked myself for feathers....can't find any!
Another forum is equally as good is the Thor forum. They have quite a few knowledgeable folks that are always willing to help. Since Jayco is now a member of the Thor family they would welcome you with open arms. Heck we even let someone hang around after they dumped their Thor for a Tiffin. I spent quite a few years over there before trading the Challenger in on the Accolade.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill obenour View Post
Didnt want to stir up an feathers or get ripped. in the end my goal is to get though this an spend retirement time with most of you positive people.
Sorry I was critical, but far too often we have had a first time poster complain about their rig/JAYCO or quality and then we never see or hear from them again.

We all realize JAYCO is not perfect, but the majority do not have major issues with a new rig. I've been buying JAYCO since 2001 and STARCRAFT for 24 years prior to that and have never had problems as soon as I got one home. Yes I have had to get warranty work done and all were because of components (Norcold, Coleman etc) with the exception of a stress crack that showed up after about a year and JAYCO was very responsive.

As was mentioned by Cincinnati Kid, definitely consider taking it to the factory for the repairs. It would be well worth the 3+hr drive.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Another forum is equally as good is the Thor forum. They have quite a few knowledgeable folks that are always willing to help. Since Jayco is now a member of the Thor family they would welcome you with open arms. Heck we even let someone hang around after they dumped their Thor for a Tiffin. I spent quite a few years over there before trading the Challenger in on the Accolade.
That might be fun, but my hands are full here as a Mod. Even if they tripled my pay...Let's see...3 x $0=?? I'm sure I would be welcome there, thanks.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That might be fun, but my hands are full here as a Mod. Even if they tripled my pay...Let's see...3 x $0=?? I'm sure I would be welcome there, thanks.
I’m not sure that would work...”Welcome to the THOR forum from Western New York State”

You would have to get rid of the spoiled dog signature

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #48
Site Team

Touché!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #49

Quote:
thanks for your post. Im a retired auto repair tec for a big company an military engineer. this is my 5th rv. 2 of them new. this rv i did my best with all of what i knew an came out with issues. you dont look for a jayco forum unless you own one. didnt know it existed. thanks again all of you that posted. Didnt want to stir up an feathers or get ripped. in the end my goal is to get though this an spend retirement time with most of you positive people.
Bill, I’m a first timer, learning the hard way and utilizing this forum. I have had some warranty issues, user induced issues and some just flat out ignorance. There are some (I can’t call them “grumpy” people cause he’s not) but let’s just call it “negative” contributors. Roll with it. Those who understand that an RV is not built on a computerized assembly line like a car, sometimes Monday morning hangover issues show up. This forum has been extremely helpful to me. Your in the right place.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
...You would have to get rid of the spoiled dog signature
Why should he? I have a spoiled cat, but I'm too embarrassed to admit to it because as you know...

Dogs have owners.
Cats have staff.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:55 PM   #51
Site Team

He just wants to be a world famous Corgi. Who can resist a face like that?

Cats prove the earth isn't flat...if it was, they would've knocked everything off it by now!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #52

We have a decker rat terrier, doesn’t knock anything off tables, tail docked. Brings me his kill and puts it just off the doormat so I don’t step on it (but proudly sits to the side with his pride showing). Knows the world is round. And totally controls my wife😀 Maybe the best of both.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #53
Site Team

Nice breed of dog. Ours is bred as a herder, and if those darn squirrels would come down off the back fence, he just might catch one...and probably lick it to death.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #54

I'll have to agree about the Thor forum, there's a lot of knowledge there. I joined there first because we were looking at the Axis/Vegas at the time. There are many good discussions over there. When I finally found the motorhome we bought, the response from there was positive and friendly.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #55

Okay, what's done is done now so the best thing to do is to get in contact with your dealer and list everything and just take it back, the camping season is pretty much over now so if they have to keep it for a little while it's okay. Things will work out just be patient and let the dealer know what's going on.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #56

Quote:
just picked up a new jayco 5th wheel ht. Got home an the slideout lights dont work. blows fuse . wrong screws installed on the kitchen table an when the slide closed destoyed the kitchen flooring. 2 interior lights fell out because of srcews striped out on the panels.microwave dont work. short interior trim molding. i am not a happy jayco custumer. they must have no quality inspections.
I have owned it for 2 years now and the dealer had the 5th wheel more time than I did for repairs. We are still having issues. Terrible product
mopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Why weren't some, if not all, of these issues found during the PDI before you left the dealer? Did you do a PDI?
Agree!
Had a few item that dealer took care of during PDI and it’s hasn’t needed to go back since. 11 months and counting.
Love our Jayco
2018JaycoWhiteHawk30RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #58

You're not alone. We did what we thought was a thorough inspection. But we were relatively new to the RV world.
I say relatively new, because the only other TT we owned was a very nice but stripped down Forest River toy hauler. It was an awesome unit, and when you have such great luck with one, you kind of expect them all to be good to go. We traded it for our brand new Jayco 5th wheel in Oct of 2018.
Some problems with ours that we didn't notice are, leaking slide-out, glue problems on the walls, TV antenna blows off, P-Trap vent cover blows off, wheel opening on the left side skirt was cut wrong, making the axle rub the fender trim and look crooked, screw heads showing through the flooring, flooring separated from the sub floor, kitchen drawers that won't stay closed, rear window leaks, cabinet doors falling off, nose cap horribly fading, CGFI breakers always tripping with very little load, plumbing leaks, etc, etc.
I get that problems will slip past QC sometimes, but that many problems on one single unit is hard to justify.
Our biggest problem has been with our dealer's service dept. There are a lot of internal problems there, so unfortunately their customers are having to suffer. All my issues would be covered under the warranty, but since the dealer kept putting me off, we'll probably be outside the warranty.
I just dropped mine off at another dealership that has a good service reputation, so hoping my issues will get resolved.
We love our Jayco, but hate our dealer facility. IF we buy another TT, it will not be from them.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
I did not have hours to spend at the dealer when I bought mine to do a pdi.Im sure its the same for others.

Yes mine had problems also but will get the bugs worked out.
Well my husband and I are not independently wealthy so If we are going to spend 50k on something we darn well make sure we make the time for the 4 hour PDI and questions. We love our Jayco 5th wheel HT and the only problems we have had with it were caused by bad roads that bounced down some trim and shook loose a wire in the GFI, and the water heater computer board that jayco paid a mobile tech to come and replace. We lived in it for 9 straight months and we are taking off again in March.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #60

This is an ongoing topic of discussion and reminds me of the auto industry in the early 70s, when foreign imports took over the auto industry with better and cheaper cars. Many of us old enough will remember the disdain for foreign imports and the excuses to convince us to buy USA cars.

You cannot inspect Quality into a product, this is a well known and understood concept in the manufacturing world (like cars), a PDI should be used to explain the features and operation of the camper, not to catch everything that was done wrong in manufacturing.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote