Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #81

Peoples16127:

"You cannot inspect Quality into a product, this is a well known and understood concept in the manufacturing world (like cars), a PDI should be used to explain the features and operation of the camper, not to catch everything that was done wrong in manufacturing."

AMEN

Grumpy:
"Sorry I was critical, but far too often we have had a first time poster complain about their rig/JAYCO or quality and then we never see or hear from them again"

I didn't realize there was a rule against legitimate criticism. Nor did I realize that you cannot post once and never be heard from again. Is this a forum rule or a Grumpy rule?
jtboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #82

I know it's always a personal and financial choice and I use to be against them but anymore for myself personally I think a extended service plan or as many call it a extended warranty is a good choice.
I would never buy from the dealer unless I could get it for 50% off their retail price otherwise I would shop on the internet. I know there are a couple of plans that are better than others that can be had for a discounted price. Just like for new vehicles you don't have to buy from the selling dealer as there are dealers that sell the same factory warranty at a very discounted price.
For myself I don't like unexpected financial hits. I know some will say "I'll just stick extra money away for surprises" but for most, good intentions go by the wayside.
I know manufacturers say a one or two year warranty but it's my understanding that if a fridge or stove has problems then they tell you it's a warranty issue to be addressed by the appliance manufacturer and not Jayco or any other RV company.
Another example is a TPO roof that gets advertised as a twelve year warranty but after the factory warranty ends if there's a problem ONLY the material is warranted, not the labor (the expensive part) and then it's prorated out to amount to next to nothing in later years.
My thought is after the manufacturer warranty ends or if you're away from your selling dealer it could be possible to get in for a repair as the repair shop knows they will be paid. Possibly keep away from the problem " I only work on RV's that I sold, you didn't buy from me"
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #83

Like any business, there’s a balance between perfection and profit. In my world (airlines) the sad fact is that we actually strive for a “B“operation in terms of on time performance and customer satisfaction because we‘ve reached a maturity level where even aiming for say 95% would double our costs, not merely drive them up by 10% or so. So that level is impossible to reach. It’s just the way the business is structured. So I wonder where the RV manufactures lie on that curve? Are their margins so small that by adding another station during the assembly and quality control process would doom them? Does buying what seems are the absolute cheapest components, even on higher end models the only way to survive? I mean we’re talking down to the quality of screws they use. My guess is because of the extreme cyclic nature of the business, it’s a cash grab while times are good because when times are bad, it’s really grim.
I would just like to see the SLOW DOWN a bit. Most of the annoying things I see all seem to have to do with what looks like a mad dash to build these things.
Pchansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #84

Just work with the dealer, these things will happen. I have had 3 Jayco trailers and have been very fortunate to have very few issues. The WhiteHawk 24RKS was the best as far as quality goes zero warranty repairs in 4 years. Be patient with the repairs it will work out.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtboney View Post
I didn't realize there was a rule against legitimate criticism. Nor did I realize that you cannot post once and never be heard from again. Is this a forum rule or a Grumpy rule?
If you scroll to the bottom of any Forum page, you'll see "Community Rules" Click on that, and you'll see what is, and is not tolerated here, and why.

There's no 'one post ' rule here, but it's very inconsiderate to ask a question, or ask for members help, or opinion on a subject, and then never respond back. Members here take a lot of time trying to help as best they can, myself included, and to not acknowledge that effort is rude.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #86

It's hard to not bash Jayco when their quality control is non-existant. My 2018 5th wheel is an example of that. Mine had brakes on one axle only (they omitted a wire on a crimp connection) An outlet in the kitchen was mounted with a sheet metal screw instead of a machine screw, so the outlet box was destroyed and the outlet pulled out of the wall on one of the first uses, the dining room table mounting screws were stripped out, the radio speakers were connected so that the inside and outside speakers were switched on together, the bedroom floor squeaked so loudly when you walked that it woke either of us up when you got up to walk to the bathroom, and the list goes on and on to include the front cap becoming sun damaged even though it was waxed and the front storage door falling apart. The dealer is not really much help and their workers are incompetent. I find it best to fix things myself.
KA9J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #87
Site Team

As mentioned above, Members are reminded of our community rules.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules

Here is the section that pertains to this thread referring to Consumer Disputes.

"Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden."

Please be mindful of these community rules as this thread continues.

Midnightmoon

Site-Team
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
As mentioned above, Members are reminded of our community rules.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules

Here is the section that pertains to this thread referring to Consumer Disputes.

"Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden."

Please be mindful of these community rules as this thread continues.

Midnightmoon

Site-Team
Very good point. This forum is designed to help each other and not bash Jayco. The bashing will spread like wildfire until the original post is just a distant memory and the remaining posts are all about bashing. This serves no purpose other than allow a platform to vent about service complaints. I too have experienced my own quality issues with Jayco, but the dealer to this point has been able to resolve them for me. I would almost bet that if you were to jump on another manufacturer’s forum, you would experience much of the same type of bashing there as well. I believe that quality control is an industry wide problem and not just a Jayco problem. Let’s use this forum for what it was intended to accomplish, and that is to help one another. Happy Trails!
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork in the road View Post
Very good point. This forum is designed to help each other and not bash Jayco. The bashing will spread like wildfire until the original post is just a distant memory and the remaining posts are all about bashing. This serves no purpose other than allow a platform to vent about service complaints. I too have experienced my own quality issues with Jayco, but the dealer to this point has been able to resolve them for me. I would almost bet that if you were to jump on another manufacturer’s forum, you would experience much of the same type of bashing there as well. I believe that quality control is an industry wide problem and not just a Jayco problem. Let’s use this forum for what it was intended to accomplish, and that is to help one another. Happy Trails!
I definitely agree with what you say here but there is a fine line between a character assassination of the Jayco brand which of course is at least not my aim. My point I guess is more academic and wondering about the industry as a whole and not Jayco in specific. As a relative newcomer to RV's (this is my second one), it was a shock to see how these things are put together. That being said, with the exception of the few issues we've had, I've been relatively happy and picked Jayco over other brands due to their reputation as a company that is proactive in solving customer issues.
And with few exceptions, I'll be doing the mods and repairs because as the old saying goes, if you want something done right...
Pchansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmakow55 View Post
Counting myself and two others I know that bought New Jayco’s there has been nothing but trouble.
From slide out issues, hot water heaters, fridge, furnace and trim.
I even know of a dealer who divorced themselves from Jayco due to not honoring warranty work.
I am glad I didn’t buy a higher end fifth wheel and one of the Jayflight trailers instead, as I am not in this thing as deep. Jayco used to be a good company but the owners retired and either turned the reigns over to their kids or sold out and quality has suffered as a result.
I had owned 3 travel trailers before I bought my jayco, this jayco white hawk was the largest and pretties of all, but after few weeks and months and now years (2016) I see that the quality of this jayco is very very low. the workmanship inside is not very good
I know trailer need maintenance but, this needs to be fixed as they get older (3years now) but this one needs it because it was not built properly (too fast, time is money)
slappy work, lots of it. would not recomend a jayco to anyone
Lucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #91

Until such time as there is a Recreational Vehicle Quality Standard published and accepted by the industry the concept of Quality is based on an individual's opinion and nothing more. Until there is a published standard any mention of quality defects is subjective at best and is not based on any type of objective criteria whatsoever. You cannot objectively say you have diminished quality unless you can say what quality standard was not met.

Here is an interesting read

https://rvlove.com/2017/09/25/lesson...factory-tours/
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #92

amen, they tell there is not standards in what the industry goes by. but there should be common sense; righ? when they screw vent covers in the eir (missing the wood) the warm air duct is kinked.. stuff like that. basic common sense should prevail
Lucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucho View Post
amen, they tell there is not standards in what the industry goes by. but there should be common sense; righ? when they screw vent covers in the eir (missing the wood) the warm air duct is kinked.. stuff like that. basic common sense should prevail
I agree. Poor workmanship is one thing that can definitely be displayed as well as a lack of attention to detail.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Then you should definitely go to Elkhart and have the factory repair everything. Closer and better. 2 hours instead of 8.
I thought Jayco products were produced in Middlebury, but regardless, I agree. Don’t even think about your dealer who is 8 hours away.
Put together a comprehensive list of issues that should be covered under warranty. Then call Jayco CS for 5th wheels and explain your situation. Be polite but request that you want your RV warranty work done at the factory and get an appointment date in writing. Unfortunately, by this time of year you may be looking well into 2020. This will still be better than having a dealer do it. Jayco only works on Jayco and will make sure that everything on your list is taken care of. And they will do it in less time than it will take sitting at a dealer. You have exhibited a lot of patience throughout this entire thread and I know you would be satisfied if you could get your RV back to the mother ship for repairs. Good luck to you.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
I thought Jayco products were produced in Middlebury, but regardless, I agree. Don’t even think about your dealer who is 8 hours away.
Put together a comprehensive list of issues that should be covered under warranty. Then call Jayco CS for 5th wheels and explain your situation. Be polite but request that you want your RV warranty work done at the factory and get an appointment date in writing. Unfortunately, by this time of year you may be looking well into 2020. This will still be better than having a dealer do it. Jayco only works on Jayco and will make sure that everything on your list is taken care of. And they will do it in less time than it will take sitting at a dealer. You have exhibited a lot of patience throughout this entire thread and I know you would be satisfied if you could get your RV back to the mother ship for repairs. Good luck to you.
When I talked to them about my coach they were scheduling 4 months out as earliest. My appointment is April 27 thru May 8 because considerable 4 color full body paint is involved. Not sure what the scheduling window is for towables.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #96

Who owns them now???? Now why do you wonder.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
Jayco is now owned by Thor Industries but allowed to operate as a separate unit. Jayco is still manufactured in Middlebury, In and that is where my appointment is scheduled for in April.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #98

I quess you pay your money and take your chances. I wonder is anyone else has had the problem I have. The inside of the trailer is fine and we keep it clean and dry. However the problem is in the attic. It is a closed system with no ventilation. I just noticed it has a great amount of condensation over the entire underside of the roof (and worry about mold) with no way to get it out. I notified Jayco and my local dealer and waiting for a response. This could get real ugly. If anyone found a solution please let me know.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
Family still running the business. Bertha (mom) still has an office at the plant too.

http://www.jayco.com/about/news/jayc...ay-operations/
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Jayco is now owned by Thor Industries but allowed to operate as a separate unit. Jayco is still manufactured in Middlebury, In and that is where my appointment is scheduled for in April.
Thor also owns Entegra Coach as one of their holdings. Entegra's come off the same production line.
Common place to see one parent company having different subsidiaries: Winnebago also own Grand Design and most recently Newmar.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote