Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Jayco quality???

just picked up a new jayco 5th wheel ht. Got home an the slideout lights dont work. blows fuse . wrong screws installed on the kitchen table an when the slide closed destoyed the kitchen flooring. 2 interior lights fell out because of srcews striped out on the panels.microwave dont work. short interior trim molding. i am not a happy jayco custumer. they must have no quality inspections.
bill obenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill obenour View Post
just picked up a new jayco 5th wheel ht. Got home an the slideout lights dont work. blows fuse . wrong screws installed on the kitchen table an when the slide closed destoyed the kitchen flooring. 2 interior lights fell out because of srcews striped out on the panels.microwave dont work. short interior trim molding. i am not a happy jayco custumer. they must have no quality inspections.
Why weren't some, if not all, of these issues found during the PDI before you left the dealer? Did you do a PDI?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

Make a appointment and take it back to the dealer and I am sure that they will make things right. Should have been caught on the PDI.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #4

there were many other quailty issues found not listed. items listed were missed or created after a 8 hour drive home. jayco dealer salesman wont respond back.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

8 hour drive back to dealer.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #6

One of the things discussed frequently is the need to do a thorough inspection of the unit prior to purchasing.

And, if you'd been participating, the lack of quality would come as less of a surprise.

Now you're looking at some warranty work. There are plenty of people here who are familiar with the warranty process, and how to keep it on track. Best of luck to you.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #7

I would call Jayco direct and tell them the problems you are having and let them tell you where to take it to get the problems fixed. I did this with the last Jayco we owned and they told me to take it to this place and it was fixed right. Be nice and don't be overbearing and they will work with you. Be calm and things will get done.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #8

Yeah, the salesman did his job, so he's out of the loop now. Couldn't help you even if he/she wanted to.

Dealer service manager and Jayco are the players now.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #9

Document everything and take many photos. Keep a log of dates and times, people you contacted and what was discussed. If promises are made, get them in writing.

Sorry to hear of your disheartening experience with your new RV.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
...And, if you'd been participating, the lack of quality would come as less of a surprise.....
Lighten up, please. Just how much “participating” would you expect a new member that joined the forum only today to do? He probably spent the majority of his time getting himself established on here and learning how to use the forums.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #11

Your salesman won’t be a resource for you. You need to make a connection with the service manager. I struggle and have sympathy with you guys who have to drive so far to get warranty work done. My dealer is 15 minutes away.

So I would go through every other system in there, open up all access panels, camp in your driveway if you have to, make sure it all works. All trailers have issues when new, then some develop them over time. I went through a proper PDI and still had an issue I missed with the water heater. It worked on propane but not electric, propane works easier and faster for the dealer to sell it off. Yours is pretty extreme. So if you can’t find someone closer to do the warranty work, make sure you have gone through everything, and at this point I would be real picky.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #12

thank you for responding.you are 100 percent correct. this forum is a great asset and an good information. just learning about this jayco site an learning the ups an downs on ownership of this new unit.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #13

yes. i now know that this unit was special ordered by someone and never sold. possibly because of problems. i believe the dealer was aware of the issues.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #14

Almost all the dealers charge a dealer prep fee. Why the hell does the buyer have to check the unit for defects when he paid the dealership to do it. The dealership is hoping that he doesn’t see half the stuff so they can get the unit out the door. I see it all the time. They are hoping he takes the unit off the lot so to that it’s his problem and they call all the shots. Just Saying. Sorry for the rant.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #15

Bill,
Marysville? What State are you in, That might let us help you better.
I live close to a Marysville, Pennsylvania.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Lighten up, please. Just how much “participating” would you expect a new member that joined the forum only today to do? He probably spent the majority of his time getting himself established on here and learning how to use the forums.
It's hard to lighten up when "JAYCO BASHING" is a no no and his first post is basically doing just that. The vast majority of his problems should have all been caught before the unit even left the lot. Just my 3 cents...inflation
Old 11-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #17

Grumpy,
Having nearly 7900 posts on here, you seem like you've been around RV's for a LONG time and have a good amount of knowledge on them, old and new. I respect you and agree with a majority of your posts because for the most part they are right on point. However, I have to disagree with you on bill "Jayco bashing". All he said was he was not a happy customer and Jayco must not have quality inspections. If that's bashing, then just about all of us are guilty of it at one point or another. Had bill come out and said all Jayco's are junk, they dont care about anything, my previous X brand trailer is much better than Jayco, etc., etc., then that would be bashing, IMO.

As far as his issues, the lights, microwave, and molding should have been caught. For some people, buying a new unit is an overwhelming experience. Add the kid at xmas factor in it and a lot of things go unseen. Not everyone has the luxury of taking someone that has experience along with them for a PDI. And that doesn't always work either. Example; friends of mine were purchasing a new jayco 5th wheel from the same dealer I got my Northpoint from. Found a couple of minor issues that were fixed right on the spot and done right. After the 4th use of it we noticed an issue with the front cap connecting with the right side wall. On the 6th use it suddenly got so bad the cap has separated from the side wall that you could put your finger in the gap. Notifed the dealer, took it back to them and they had never seen anything like it before. They figure the frame is broke. That was 5 months ago and they still dont have it back. The dealer has stepped up to the plate BIG TIME for them on this and is taking care of them. This dealer is the unicorn of rv dealers out there. Unless you have superman xray vision doing a PDI, you'd never know this was going to happen.

My previous X brand 5th wheel was nit picked by my wife worse than me. All the minor issues never became an issue. It was all the other unforeseen issues like the fresh water tank falling out, the wheel shearing off wheel studs and coming off going down the highway, the ceiling fan blade coming off and nearly hitting my wife in the head,... I could go on for hours, but buying brand X, learning from it, took me to my dealer and my Northpoint I have now and am EXTREMELY happy with. It's not perfect. Like bill's trailer, I also have a short piece of trim that keeps coming off. Should I have caught it on my PDI, sure, I'll take the blame on it. But it's a minor issue.
As experienced members we need to encourage bill that most of his issues are minor with the exception of the table and ruined floor issue. The dealer will fix them. How you approach it with the dealer is critical. Be polite about it and maybe ask to speak with the general manager. Make sure you follow up with them and get updates on the progress and repair plans.
Keep us posted, Bill.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #18

Marysville ohio.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #19

thank you sir.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #20

This is not about RV quality but about quality control and customer service just the same. Believe it or not is about an essential item that every home or RV owner has, the toilet.

I have had an ongoing issue with American Standard over a toilet issue since September. It deals with the electronic components of an ActiClean toilet no longer functioning (less than 1 year after installation). I called them on 9/16 to open the claim and was told a new tank cover assembly with electronics would be shipped and should be received in 7 - 10 business days. Called on 10/3 and was told tank lids are back ordered with no estimated delivery date. Called on 10/22 and was told lids were still back ordered. Called on 11/5 and told a shipment was due in and I should receive the lid in 7 - 10 days. Called today and told the lids are still back ordered with no estimated delivery date. Since all of this began one of the three toilets has developed an issue where the float periodically sticks and the tank will not fill with water for subsequent flushing. I mentioned this during today's call so now what they are doing is opening a new claim to replace the entire tank which will get me the valve assembly and the lid. Supposedly the tanks are in stock and I will get one in, you guessed it, 7 - 10 business days. The original claim number was closed I believe for the purpose of customer service metrics.

As you are discussing issues related to quality remember even the lowly toilet has quality issues and it exists to be crapped on every single day.

Just some food for thought here.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote