Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

Jayco quality - Not terribly impressed

I'm new to the camper world. After dreaming about it for many years, we finally broke down and bought one about six months ago. It's a brand new Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213. For us and our 2 year old, it seemed to fit the bill of everything we wanted.

We've now had it out now on three excursions. Two over-nighter summer trips to nearby campgrounds. Short and simple trips to break us into camping. No issues with anything to that point, as both were dry and short. Now onto the trip we returned from yesterday... We've just spent the week at the beach, 700 miles round trip, and for the first two days it rained.

Here's everything that happened:

- The first issue I noticed after picking it up from storage (stored at a nearby RV dealer's lot) while cleaning it for the trip. The black plastic trim piece along the front end cap shrunk. As a result, it pulled away from the silicone and opened holes directly into the camper! It had been stored about two months since we last used it, and this was okay then. You can also see how all the silicone is cracking. That's ridiculous. I used caulk and silicone bought at Home Depot on my house windows and siding in 2007 when I moved in. Those repairs are still nearly perfect after eight years. What exactly is Jayco using? In my opinion, it's garbage.

- A lens cover blew off while driving. I stopped about 200 miles into trip and noticed it was gone. Not properly installed, silicone didn't stick? Who knows. But it's another opening now in the exterior.

- The bathroom fan leaks. This may be an installation issue or fan manufacturer issue. But either way, Jayco should be using a parts vendor with quality. I mean when Takata's airbags failed, who did you take it back to, Takata or your car brand's dealership? Anyway, it's not a lot, but it leaks when it's raining and drips onto the floor.

- Pilot light on water heater doesn't light. Same opinion as the bathroom fan.

- On the first night of rain, we finished making dinner and were cleaning dishes. I noticed the counter top was wet, and I assumed we had just splashed it while washing plates. I dried it, and then noticed it was soaked again an hour or so later. Come to find out, there were three streams of water running down the wall from behind the stove fan (awning was retracted when this appeared).

- The small swing out window next to the emergency window leaked. Again not much, but you could see it pooled in the window frame.

- Lastly, for no reason that I can tell, the drip rail on the curbside of the trailer is literally peeling away from the camper. My job for tonight is to get up on a ladder and make sure there are no opening into the camper that water can come through.

So what's my point in saying all this? Twofold. First, I want to share my experience and see what others have had. Is everyone else having these problems, or did I just get a lemon?

Second, I need to vent some frustration. I'm annoyed that after spending $20K+ on a new camper to buy it, deliver it, and equip it, this can happen within the first few months of ownership. As much as these cost, I would expect these things not to happen. I mean if you bought something else expensive, like a car, a boat, a firearm, a watch, furniture, etc., what would you expect? For me, this is the third most expensive thing I've ever bought (following my house and the truck I bought to pull this). Also, the camper s
its in storage for long periods of time, so I have no idea what may be happening when I'm not there to keep an eye on it. If it sits for a few months, it's probably getting leaked in. That's unacceptable quality to me. How upset would you be if your new car didn't start, the sunroof leaked, a headlight fell off, and the window weatherstripping shrunk letting rain in?

All that said, I find the motto "Generations of Family Fun
" ironic. I seriously question whether this camper (which I have now made 6 of 120 payments towards) will actually last long enough for my son to use when he gets his driver's license. Anyway, I'll be interested to see what Camping World and Jayco say about this and what they may or may not fix. After reading a few other people's experiences, I'm not expecting much from either.

Attached Thumbnails
11.jpg   22.jpg   33.jpg   44.jpg   55.jpg  

66.jpg   77.jpg  
Adam&Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

I have not been terribly impressed with CW (service work) but Jayco is another thing. They have treated me very well. The leaking "things" would be most problematic to me because you almost need to be in a heavy rain again to see if their repairs work. Please post how they approach the problems. It will be good to know.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

Adam&Family,

I have not experienced the trouble you have; however, I too have not been to impressed with Jayco's attention to final details on my 2012 White Hawk. What you have going for you is the two year Jayco warranty, I have had to fight for some of my repairs so be thankful for your warranty and make them fix everything, especially the leaks, even if you have to create your own rain storm with the hose in the driveway; that thing should be water tight.

The shrinking on your front cap trim does not seem so unusual, I think they all do it. Have the dealership seal it up. Another thought is that maybe, based on what you are describing, they forgot to thoroughly caulk and seal the openings.

Don't be afraid to hold your dealership and Jayco to the warranty requirements. The best advice given to me and I will pass to you is "make it your own"; you can improve the quality of your new home by making it your own, improving the quality. There are some unique things to think about with RV repairs, its not always the same as repairing things at home. So seek help on this forum, it has helped me a lot, and "make it your own".
Old 10-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

Wow, that is highly unusual, I have owned mine for 3 years with no issues other than a simple loose interior trim and the power jack failing all covered under warranty. I had great service from my dealer.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

I have had issues also. Our warranty resolved them.
I do agree, that your problems should not have occurred and should be expressed to all. Including Jayco
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Make a appointment with the dealer and take it back and get them to fix the problems. It is under warranty. Not to be nasty but how would feel it you spent 2 to 5 times that amount and still had the same problems. They all have some kind of problems, easy thing is just get it fixed. Venting is good
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #7

The worste thing Jayco did is switch to a black trim, sure it looks awesome, but the extra heat it creates is not what you want on an RV.. My bet is this won't be the last time you experience some of these issues.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #8

A couple of things to keep in mind about the RV industry. First, it's decades behind the auto industry in terms of quality control. It's also not federally regulated so many of the processes and documentation that goes into auto manufacturing don't apply to RVs.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most components, that is trim, appliances, suspension, frames, etc, are made by 3rd parties.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The RV mfg still should look after the full warranty if they are cheapening out and using sub standard parts. RV's are still an over inflated industry like the automotive industry.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

OP, Please keep us posted!
I will like to know if the dealer address all this problems!

Also, thank you for shearing! I will now keep an eye on my new trailer on these location as well!
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #11

I totally understand your frustration. The bright side of it all is the two year warranty.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote