Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #61

Hey Watson Family

Remember me? What did I tell ya. Count your lucky stars so far. My 2015 339 FLQS has caused considerably more issues with quality. Almost all with the slides. My advice is to give your slides the once over. Look for loose hanging wires. Good luck with it all. We still have ours, having paid the price. And now we are hoping for the best. Safe travels.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #62

With our last two new RVs, a 2015 Forrest River travel trailer and now our 2017 Jayco HT29.5BHDS, 5th wheel, the first few weeks of ownership was getting behind things like the cabinets, water heater, and such to clean up the remnants of construction, lots of wood bits, screws, wires etc., which never seem to be cleaned up at all at the factories. It really seems like to try and keep up with the impossible demand, those old videos of dedicated supposedly happy 'Amish' workers are replaced nowadays by not very caring builders having to "slap 'em together" and get them out of the factory as quickly as possible!
While RV construction was never really great, I've been RVing since the mid-1990s, and not with the automotive fit and finish quality of many brands, it certainly has gotten worse.
Tdbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #63

Quality Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsons View Post
Don't get me wrong, we are happy..maybe not extremely happy with our new unit but happy none the less.
What I am not liking to see is stuff like this pictured here (behind the water heater.) How hard would it have been to hole saw a clean 2" hole to run the wires? Oh, he had to get his hand in there? How about a 4 or 5" hole instead of removing a 18" x 4" chunk of wallboard and gouging another slot by mistake!!
Jeesh...makes you start looking for other hidden treasures.
Sorry for the rant but WOW!!
Same story under my fridge. Whoever cut the hole for the water lines apparently had to take a couple stabs at it before he got the placement right. Shoddy and embarrassing for such a well-known brand.
jfjeter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #64

Folks, it’s the industry as a whole, not just Jayco. Before the Pinnacle, I had a Cedar Creek Silverback, and before that a KZ Stoneridge. And I have owned a Cardinal, a Wildcat, and a Carriage Cari-lite, among others. Point is, the same shoddy work is prevalent in every brand. I have witnessed it. There is no such thing as Amish craftsmanship when it pertains to the RV industry. That use that term for sales purposes only. I’m sure there are fine Amish craftsmanship in the furniture business, but not in the RV business. They are interested in putting them out fast, and could care less about the quality, or how the work is performed. Very few units go through any quality control.
It is the RV industry at a whole, and until someone decides to make a quality RV, it will not change. Cheap labor and cheap parts is the name of the game
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #65

Jayco Quality?

I've not the time nor the space, but we are NOT happy Jayco owners any longer. Our 2010 unit was great, but our 2016 - absolutely the worst RV travel trailer we've ever owned as far as quality goes. New roof, leaky windows, leaky bubble window over shower - and the warranty repairs by our reseller - only worse results. Can anyone recommend a reputable (affordable) RV builder any more?
BFGDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #66

Dang!

Too lazy to walk to their tool box???
Pink MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #67

Our new 32BHDS has siding that's bulging because it was cut too long. It'll be fixed this fall by the dealership. I reinstalled our dvd/ head unit once I realized that the outside speakers weren't connected. I connected the radio antenna at the same time. Our furnace works- sometimes (being replaced on the 28th). An AC vent fell out of the ceiling on our latest trip, I fixed that easily- it had no screws holding it in place, lol. Our bathroom door stairs make an aweful clunking noise when I step on them (bottom step only). I weigh 225lbs... Oh, and the "crown molding" above our main slide is falling off. This may be our last Jayco.
EODPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #68

May get two or more trailers out a day.

Just like any manufacturing plant they try to save money and get production numbers up. This and other short cuts gets them two or three extra campers out the door a day. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see your camper made and make adjustments as it was going down the assembly line? It would cost more but we would have a camper built like a house and no worries for twenty or so years.
rcintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #69

Very poor quality

Every time i remove a panel to access wiring or plumbing i find nothing but debris and poorly cut holes, the shower cubicle leaks despite multiple resealing efforts, i installed shower curtains inside which stopped the leaks. The back of the diner bench fell off, i couldnt believe it was held on by staples in fact so much is held on by staples that is now coming away, molding, trim even the walls! I wouldnt advise any one to buy an rv unless they are happy doing repairs. Luckily nothing major has failed, all the appliances work so it is a case of carry on with minor repairs, upgrades and preventive maintenance.
JonathanCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #70

Maybe this thread has run its course.

It has been an eyeopener for sure. Are they all like this, or is it only a select few and they are the ones complaining? I don't know.

OK, so now all the shady stuff is out in the open. So, now what are we going to do about it?

With what I know now, I plan to keep mine until the Nursing Home. But I'll be glad to contribute to the cause for others that have not received a unit as good as mine...
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #71
Site Team

I have been on this forum since 2010 and I can say with confidence the number of complaints and issues is considerably greater now then in the past. Not sure if this is a result of the buyout or the RV boom times or both but it's there. It used to be most of the complaints ironically were regarding the higher end units, possibly because of their complexity and the expectation of perfection after dropping 80k on an RV.. Jayflight owners for the most part were happy campers, I know my 2010 28 BHS served me well for 7 trouble free years. Now the quality issues seem to be across the board. Choices are limited however when you consider Thor and Forest River have over 80% of the towables market sewn up. But as mentioned before we will never know what percentage of owners are having good results as nobody posts about a product that is doing what it is expected to do with few or no issues.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #72

My 2010 is trouble free but from my observation of 4 sales/ repair dealerships repair lot parking they all appear to be completely filled up. No empty service stalls at any of them plus there working on some outside.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #73

That's high quality workmanship. That installer should get a raise.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #74

Mike is nice and neat there. Almost looks like a second install by a 3rd party. Pretty Lame job! Our coach is excellent and no complaints or issues with workmanship so far. Good luck and fun travels!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #75

We have had a lot of issues.Mostly plumbing that was loose.And the factory tires were absolute junk.Most issues have been easily fixed.
Tcfd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #76

Just traded in a 2011 Melborne for new 2017 Precept 31ul. While the quality of the materials were very comparable, the workmanship appeared to lack any quality control. To start, the word "Precept" was misspelled on the coach. Didn't notice it until we had the coach home for several days. The outside sat coax connection disappears somewhere in the coach so you can't hook up a tailgater. There were enough Styrofoam pellets in the overhead lights to build a small cooler. The shower made mopping the kitchen floor necessary everytime it was used (loose fittings under the shower). No one at Jayco seems to know if a wiring diagram exists for the coach (the Melbourne had a very good wiring diagram). It seems like the present Jayco RV industry is about where the US auto industry was in the 70s and 80s.

We pick up the coach on June 25, after the dealer has had it since May 1. Looking forward to getting out of the desert.
Tsexson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #77

I have to agree.

My wife and I have a 31 ft., 2016 Precept and that was the initial observation and complaint.
In our units case one of the salient problems is that the dashboard and the
windshield is not flush, but it appears as if their calculations of the dashboard where completely off.
The kitchen drawers and the slide out island open when taking turns to the point that I have had to place the child protective fasteners in order to keep them closed.

I know that this is not a $1million dollar rig, but have some pride in your work.
Chappy2351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
They were all 6" round. Whether it was for 2 1/2" pex a couple of wires or a 2" drain.
The workers are paid "per item installed" so changing from a 2", 3", 6" hole saw and back again will slow them down. Does make me wonder what the 6" hole is for since they used it all over.
Adam9280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #79

Quality of workmanship has been a real problem for us with our 195 RB too.
LuscombeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
That's ridiculous! And the icing on the cake is no one at Jayco doing outgoing inspection and no one at the dealer spotted this? Or worse they saw it and thought it was acceptable?
Factory doesn't care. People buy the trailers no matter what so why bother?

Dealer doesn't care. They don't even fix broken items in trailers sitting on the lot until they are sold.
Adam9280 is offline   Reply With Quote