Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 AM   #1

jayco question

We have owned a Hitchhiker for many years and have decided to purchase a newer r.v.
After zeroing in on a new Jayco 330 rsts, we began reading reviews of Jayco products.
Our concern is the many complaints from owners regarding leaks, electrical issues, roof issues and the overall quality. We have developed second thoughts and wondered if other Jayco owners have encountered these issues?
Thanks
tomllamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF!

We are on our third Jayco and couldn't be happier. All three of our units have had minor stuff that's needed to be addressed, and that can be frustrating when you sink that much money into a unit, but IMHO that's also part of RV ownership. If you fix it yourself, and for the most part I do, you also have the satisfaction of knowing that the job was done right. In the few instances we've submitted a warranty claim Jayco and/or our dealer have stepped up and we've had no problems. The key is having a good dealer with a great service department.

Something to keep in mind too is that you hear from the minority that have issues, not the majority that don't. There is an initial quality poll on the forum and IIRC from the results, the vast majority of us had only minor things to contend with.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Jayco.

All the best with your decision!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Hello and welcome to the forum. Any manufacturer is going to put out a camper with an issue from time to time. You normally only hear from the few who complain as opposed to the many who are happy.

I’ve had two Jaycos and neither had issues or went in for service. Our current Jayco camper is now two seasons old (ordered it new 4/16) and we have been nothing but pleased with it. Our last Jayco was only sold because we wanted a bigger camper. We camp with the people who bought it and they have not had issues with it either. That camper is now 4 seasons old.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

On my third Jayco, a popup, a hybrid and now a travel trailer. None have been a bad choice, and I'd promote consideration of the brand to anyone.

No manufacturer can claim incident free products that I know of, and gaining confidence in your dealer is important for things that might go wrong under warranty. I haven't had any warranty issues thankfully.

I also think this forum can manage the line between asking for advice on a topic and venting/bashing. You might learn of an issue here, and then learn how to handle it from the many that frequent this forum.

Happy shopping!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome from NYS! All brands are built from pretty much the same stuff, by humans, that we all know make mistakes, and under some kind of time pressure. We love our Jayco, which is our sixth camper, and have recommended the brand many times. If the forum was filled to the brim with "nothing ever goes wrong" posts, there would be nothing to respond to, or talk about. Guys like me who like to tinker, fix, modify, and put forth absolutely wonderful ideas and advice to the modern world, would be bored out of my mind. There would be nothing to challenge my brain cell. (Notice I didn't make them plural.) I'm only speaking for myself, but there's another 6000 members thinking the same thing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #6

We've had our Greyhawk for three years now. While there were numerous small to medium issues, none were "show stoppers" as we say in the software business.

The two-year warranty is a very nice thing. That, coupled with a good dealer, allows time to fix/replace items that should not have shipped from the factory.

To increase the odds of being happy with your purchase, I would suggest investigating the reputations of potential dealerships as diligently as possible. We did, found numerous complaints about the first dealer's service department and changed our purchasing decision to another dealer whose service department had a stellar reputation. Our experience with them has shown their reputation to be justified. While you'll see many complaints regarding lack of communication between owners and service departments, the service manager at our dealership gave me his personal cell phone number and his direct email address at work to better communicate over our work items. Can't beat that.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, the majority of Jayco purchasers are pleased with their RV. If they are not, they look for a place to vent and end up here. If you look at other sites, you'll find complaints about other brands.

I believe Jayco offers 'the best bang for the buck.' That's why I bought one.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

Welcome! We upgraded to JayCo in May and our only issues were minor quality control issues that were handled by our dealer.

Everything else has been working as designed and we throughly enjoy using our trailer. There were several RV dealerships in our area and we shopped for selection & price as well as the service department which has been great.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomllamas View Post
We have owned a Hitchhiker for many years and have decided to purchase a newer r.v.
After zeroing in on a new Jayco 330 rsts, we began reading reviews of Jayco products.
Our concern is the many complaints from owners regarding leaks, electrical issues, roof issues and the overall quality. We have developed second thoughts and wondered if other Jayco owners have encountered these issues?
Thanks
Like the vast majority of folks here we love our Jayco. We "live" in it about half the year so it gets plenty of use. Jayco would not be one of the largest RV brands in the industry without repeat buyers. Many of those that complain on here show up a few times then they are gone...highly suspect...lots of competitors that hate Jayco because they can't compete with them.

Jayco offers a good product at each price point. And the 2 year warranty shows they put their money where their mouth is..we have had nothing but good experiences with Jayco warranty...going far beyond what I would expect.

Good Luck making your decision.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

I'd like to add, too, that often online complaints read online are resolved, but the poster never returns to post about that. HOWEVER, the original post about an issue lives on forever.

And then there are some complainers that find out they need to work through a dealer to resolve issues, not just call/email Jayco and vent here or elsewhere online.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #11

When people ask this kind of question, I tend to wonder where are you going to turn to? If you have found a competitor that does not exhibit these kinds of issues, then I’d like to know who it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. It is quite helpful.
tomllamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #13

Another factor to consider when trying to determine the current quality of Jayco's is their recent acquisition by Thor.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #14

Welcome to JOF

I am a new Jayco owner. We bought our first Jayco this past January and are sadly now putting it away for a long winter's nap. From my personal experience, I have found the overall quality of my unit to be terrific. I had a few minor issues but Jayco or the dealer immediately took care of it. With anything that is manufactured, there will always be a few units that leave the factory with flaws. You need to do your research and most importantly make sure you do a complete walk through your unit before accepting delivery from the dealer. Don't just let the dealer demonstrate features of the unit, but you need to also flip the switches, extend & retract the slides, and even hitch and unhitch to your TV. I would also find an RV Show to attend. No where else will you see so many manufactures and options in one place and many times you will get the opportunity to talk to factory reps. The largest RV Show in the country is planned for April 12-15, 2018 in Indianapolis

As for your question, I would buy another Jayco but I would still do my research!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #15

We've owned many brands over many years, and Jayco stands up to the best. They also have a two-year warranty, which is extremely helpful. Can you experience problems? Of course, as with any other RV out there. As others have stated, buy from a really good dealer. It's your best line of defense. As far as Jayco being purchased by Thor, Thor also purchased Airstream; and we can't believe the number of Airstreams on the road these days - obviously not a negative thing in their case. In our travels, we see more Jaycos than just about any other brand. They must be doing something right. We love ours.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #16

I am on my second Jayco 5er. The first was a 2015 Eagle HT that had several issues, a few I considered major, most minor. Everything was fixed by Jayco and my dealer with no issues or questions. I traded it in for a 2017 Eagle 317RLOK and other than a dimmer switch that wouldn't shut off and a 4 point leveling system that needed repairs, this is a great and apparently well built unit.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #17

The key to any RV purchase is the DEALER!

All manufactures push them out fast, and the delivery drivers are not the most gentle folks, when taking the units from the factory to the dealer.

A good dealer will do three (3) checks on the unit... The will inspect it when it arrives at the dealership, for obvious issues. They will do a post sale check (get-ready), where all systems will be checked, and any necessary repairs and/or replacements will be made. And the dealer AND the new owner will do a very comprehensive check of everything... EVERYTHING, at the time of delivery.

That's the PDI... Schedule it for early in the morning, and plan to spend the day, if necessary. Wear old clothes, and bring a flashlight, measuring tape, and clipboard. Look under the unit, on the roof, inside cabinets, in the electronics bay, under the bed, in the cabinets, etc. Run every faucet and check for leaks, check the windows, slides and doors, turn on and check all the appliances, and everything electrical, etc.

Make a punch list, and wait there until the dealer acknowledges everything that was found. With a little luck, they'll fix it while you are waiting.

We're on our 4th Jayco, and only one had significant issues. Both our dealer and Jayco have been stellar about addressing our issues and concerns.

We're happy campers!

Be safe and have fun!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #18

We're busy owners of a 2016 23MDS. Busy because of crappy workmanship mostly. First trip out floor of wifes closet fell out. Before we got home the side wall came loose. Have an island with swing out cupboards at the ends; both bottom shelves have fallen on the floor. Water leaks in both the bathroom lavatory, and under the kitchen sink. Water heater chooses when it wants to heat water. Take it to the dealer? Yea right, I want to leave it there for a few months.... NOT. So I fix it myself. Am I upset with Jayco? Yes, but only because the tout their Amish craftsmanship and 2 year warranty so much. Bottom line, they are probably no better or worse than 90% of the RV's built today.
Steve-O Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #19

First Jayco we have owned and other than a couple of minor issues, easily fixed by my husband we have had no problems. I agree with the others, Jayco has the best bang for the buck and the dealer you buy from is key. Our FW is in winter hibernation now but we are eagerly awaiting spring to go out camping again.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #20

I won't repeat what others have said other than the fact that we're on our 3rd Jayco since '93. A pop we bought new in '93 and had for 10 years, a 17' hybrid we bought new and had for 10 years, and our current 2013 X20E hybrid. They have not been perfect trailers but all issues have been minor and overall they are solidly built units.

Roof leaks are a fact of owning a trailer from any manufacturer. Roofs must be inspected twice a year and any dried, cracking seals should be fixed to prevent leaks.

People use online forums to complain. Rarely do people post and praise something. What seems like a lot of complaints is really just a small fraction of many thousands of owners. This is true of any any retail product.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote