Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Jayco Redhawk 26M

We are considering purchasing a Jayco Redhawk 26M.

Any comments -- good or bad about this RV?

TIA.
zoelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

Golly, no replies! But I'll bump this back to the top so maybe someone will see it and offer their opinion.

Welcome to JOF from SW Michigan.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #3

New 26M Owner

Will admit that my choice was driven by two things:

I have friends who own Jayco's and are extremely happy with their rig. And unit availability is extremely low right now. My preferred dealer only has 5 total Class C units on site and due to the chip shortage doesn't know when they will get more (Ford chassis delay).

That said, I love the full rig slide out, really opens up the inside. Cabinet quality appears to be a step above some of it's lower cost competitors (Forest River and Gulfstream come to mind both of which we considered).

The murphy bed is a unique design that I am not sure yet how we will adapt to....the mattress splits at the head of the mattress so a single sheet likely won't work to cover both.

We pick up the unit in a week so will post more after our shakedown trip.

Mike
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #4

Hey Mike: How are you enjoying your 26M? We are wondering how that Murphy bed is? Can a thicker mattress be added? Thx
YKCAMOM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKCAMOM2 View Post
Hey Mike: How are you enjoying your 26M? We are wondering how that Murphy bed is? Can a thicker mattress be added? Thx
Hi,

We have had two weekends thus far. 1st one we slept on the mattress Jayco provided (I think it's just a 4 in piece of foam). I didn't sleep well. For the second weekend we bought a 3 inch memory foam topper, cut it in two pieces to match the split and covered the lower portion with a mattress pad. That worked great to sleep on.

However, the bed will not fold up completely with anything added to the mattress. So what I do is just roll up the foot of the memory foam (in half) and the bed folds up fine. When we lower the bed, we pull the foam back down (with the pad in place). Not ideal but it works well. Unless you get a custom mattress with a seam so you can fold the mattress in half (bottom to top) a thicker mattress will hit the door handles on the cabinets above the bed. (I might invest next year in just a mattress setup.....doing this you could likely add a 7-8 in mattress).

Other than that, we love the rig. Have 1500 miles on it in 11 days since we bought it. Averages 8.5-9.0 a gallon. Only things wrong were a dry pump (needed to be primed) and a hole in one of the tires.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #6

Thanks for this. The layout is great, but I dunno about the Murphy bed. Every RV mattress seems to suck and one has to replace it or add multiple toppers. So I worried there would be an issue getting the bed to close back up. I appreciate your response!
YKCAMOM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #7

Making the Murphy bed.

We are considering purchasing a 2021 26XM and my wife is wondering if she can use fitted sheets. We looked at the bed and didn't see how that could be accomplished. Do we only use not fitted sheets?

The dealer is also providing a mattress topper and liked the idea of rolling it up from the bottom.

Thanks.
keithh0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #8

Jayco 26M Update

Sorry I haven’t been on this site for a while. I will try to answer a few of the questions that have come up.

Can you use fitted sheets?

Yes. I mentioned earlier that we had a mattress topper. The fitted sheets (RV Queen) do fit although the strap at the end of the mattress makes it a bit difficult. They do stay snug. There is another thread on how you can shorten the strap that holds the mattress in place. We have not done this (see custom mattress below). We undo the sheets and blankets when we fold up the mattress topper before folding up the bed. This has worked very well for us. The top of the sheet remains fitted on the small cushion even when the bed is closed.

Custom Mattress

I have had an exchange with “custom mattress factory.com” and they are going to make a custom mattress I designed for this bed that will be thicker than the stock foam. Cost for their 7 inch “custom foam” will be $975. It will have the two main pieces like the stock foam, except the foot of the bed will fold up with a mattress hinge 18 inches from the foot to allow the bed to close. I won’t get this until next spring so stay tuned for that update. I attached a schematic that I sent to Custom Mattress for their quote. Note that Custom Mattress indicated they could not add the snap tabs but I plan to add them myself.

Hope this helps everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco 26M Custom Mattress.pdf (20.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #9

NitLion,

Thanks for the information. I missed the earlier post you mentioned. Sorry 'bout that.

I also think we will work with Custom Mattress to get something similar. Appreciate the response!
Old 03-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #10

new owner

Hi, we recently purchased a 2021 26M, it's in storage at the dealers until early May, this is our first RV, we're excited and have been trying to purchase things slowly rather than all at once. It's difficult when we don't have access to the unit and a lot of details are not in the specs.

The information about the murphy bed is great and will be helpful to get a better sleep.

- Can' find info about the size of the bed over the cab, is it a standard size?
- Does anybody use a windshield sun cover, recommendations for one that fits

Our first trip will be a small orientation one, then a 4000 mile round trip in late June

Thanks, I have other questions, but those my current ones
dsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #11

Hi, the Murphy Bed is an RV Queen 60x75. Queen sized linens will fit around the mattress, but not snugly. The foot of the mattress attached to the frame so sheets cannot be tucked in at the foot of the bed.

We purchased a 2" foam topper and that helps. Note that the foam topper must be folded over in order for the bed to lock into place when raised.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #12

Hi, we recently picked up our unit 2021 Redhawk 26M, I've been trying to sanitize the water system and am confused, hoping for some advice.

The instructions indicate to bypass the water heater
  • Do bypass valves for the water heater exist
  • If so are they behind the grill under the fridge

I want to buy one or more water filters (under bathroom sink) before I start the process but I can't find any reference to a Jayco or compatible filter
  • has anybody replaced theirs, and if so with what make / type of filter

If anybody has done the sanitization I would appreciate any hints that the manual might have missed

Thanks in advance
Dale
dsabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:12 AM   #13

Water filer replacement

The water filter that comes with the Redhawk is Jayco only. You have to go back to a Jayco dealer for replacement. I chose to have a dealer switch that out for a Camco unit.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:54 AM   #14

Quick update on my mattress post. I did order the mattress and we installed it two weeks ago. OMG what a difference. Best sleep I have had in a long time. Custom Mattress Factory built the mattress to the design I posed earlier. I installed hold down straps that we connect when we are traveling. The straps are hidden under the mattress when we have it down. The design allows the bed to completely close. Standard RV queen sheets fit perfectly. We have traveled twice now with the bed up and the mattress stays put. Cost for the mattress was about $1,100.. I will post pictures of the mattress and straps a little later.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #15

Mattress Update

I could not edit my post from yesterday so thought I would start a new reply to add the pictures. As I mentioned (and others have noted) the 26M mattress is unique and uncomfortable. I posted a diagram of a custom mattress that I designed and had constructed by Custom Mattress Factory.

https://www.custommattressfactory.com/

I removed the old foam cushion (three screws at the end of the bed) and set the new mattress in place. You then will need a way to anchor the mattress when you raise the bed. For me, the easiest way I could think of was to mount two straps to the bed frame using a strap and connector kit I found on Amazon. I used 90 degree angle brackets (the type used to assemble sides of cabinets), bolted the strap and bracket to the bed frame. Simply drill two holes through the aluminum channel in the center of the plastic as shown. Strap material will fit under the angle bracket.

The other challenge was that any mattress thicker than 4 inches would not allow the bed to close completely. The mattress has a hinge at 18 inches from the bottom that allows the bed to close. Make sure your straps are cinched good and tight to keep the mattress from sliding down (makes lowering the bed a tad harder).

To lower the bed, we open it slightly to see if the mattress has shifted, (if it has we just pull up on the mattress) then open the remainder. This has been a god send for us. We are two weeks into a 5 month trip this mattress will make it much easier.

Strap kit used from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NH4POY...roduct_details
Attached Thumbnails
249F30B4-2F81-4DEB-8CB9-8ECD13BC1A4F.jpg   72B822E0-63B9-44FC-9E16-0FDA8FAE71A6.jpg   A01027A8-CDDF-47D1-9EC8-CF58E199CEB9.jpg   147DB348-2E86-4EF5-B51F-8BC5FA5F3A99.jpg   26ED3ADE-B6A9-4949-B25E-3005B89D77A6.jpg