Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Thumbs down Jayco service dept.Middlebury,In.

Was on my second outing in my new Pinnacle 36RSQS fifth wheel,was headed on 40 day trip to MI.and IN. First stop N.GA. mountains for seven days during July 4th week. Rain serval days and roof started leaking down from the crank up TV antenna in the bedroom.I knew we would be in the factory area of Middlebury,IN.in adout three days,so decide to carry it by the factory service center to get it looked at being the rain had stopped. Got to factory after 4:00 P.M.on Friday.Service center closed, so camped in Shipshewana (7 miles away) waited unto Monday morning and went to service center as soon as they opened. Lady in charge said they was booked up until August,so I asked could someone take five minutes to climb on top to see if the problem was bad or minor ( being I weigh 275 and too heavy for roof).and being I was on a long trip.She so no and gave a name of man in the area that does some of there work.Called him,he wanted only cash paying jobs no warranty work. I go back to Jayco and got the same answer NO. So after that I called the customer service and got them to take my vin number and put a note in the file if I had damage to the bed or bed covers or top Jayco would be lieable.She took down all the info. I can't believe they can't at least spare a man from his job( or smoke broke) for five minutes being I was on the road for so long.I had other issues(exhaust fan in bathroom not working,slides not closing properly and etc,) that I could live with until I got home. So for the rest on the trip about thirty days, every campground I stayed at I put a large blue trap on the roof when not on the road.Made sure to get camp site as close to front of the campground so everyone could see the trap and ask question and I could tell them about Jayco bad service. Back home now will take to dealer Friday.
Bud&barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your experience Bud. Although I understand you didn't have an appointment, I too am surprised they couldn't take a few minutes to at least look at your problem. If I were you, I would call and attempt to speak to their Customer Service Manager. It won't make up for the service, or lack there of that you experienced, but as a Manager myself, I'm always interested in hearing when my employee's have clearly failed to satisfy a customer.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Wow!! I could "maybe" understand if it was an older rig that was way out of warranty, but a brand new rig like yours and they treat you like that? What are the chances that you will buy another one considering how you were treated?
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
That's disappointing but similar to the "oh well go to your dealer" BS I got when I called their customer service line in a situation where our electronic door locked us inside the trailer and wouldn't open. I ended up calling the company who makes the lock - they were apologetic, offered technical advice, and had a new door lock to our campsite in two days... I know I'm a broken record but the service Jayco is peddling isn't the Jayco I bought my popup from 8 years ago.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #5

Could have been a quick dicor fix or antenna defect. wouldnt have taken them a few mins to determin that but i understand no appt=no immediate svc. they would have to do that to everytone who rolled up looking for a quik warranty fix then.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Could have been a quick dicor fix or antenna defect. wouldnt have taken them a few mins to determin that but i understand no appt=no immediate svc. they would have to do that to everytone who rolled up looking for a quik warranty fix then.
Makes sense, the quick peak at the problem could have turned into a hour of work. Would not be fair to the owners who had an appointment to push their work back.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #7

But they could have at least looked.

I gotta tell you, I am a bit nervous about ever needing service. First off, my dealer is 3 hours away. But on top of that, I had been there twice because they couldn't get me on the road when I signed the documents. They are busy! They must have room for 30 RVs in their service bays and both times I was there they were busy....
billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

OK lets look at this the other way.. You have an appointment to have your RV repaired.. they pull the guy off of it to go out and check an RV that rolled in with no appointment, as a result you spent an extra day at the dealership (manufacture). How upset would you be at this point? Remember they dont have people sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for something to do..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

If it had been me (easy for me to say now ), I would have asked the customer service person if they would reimburse me the cash outlay for the service work to be done by the outside repairman they recommended. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems to have been a better solution than traveling with a leaking roof and pulling a tarp out to cover the roof for the next 30 days. Maybe you asked them if they would reimburse you and they said "no"???

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #10

We're talking about looking at a problem. If it's a major undertaking then of course you put it off to the side. We're talking about a guy who is out of town, a long way from home here.

It took me two trips to a dealer 3 hours away to have my 16XRB delivered. Both times I had a minimum of 2 hours wait time (first time was 4). In the case of that place, no one would be the wiser, because it was so busy you couldn't tell what was what.

They could have at least looked. They didn't need to treat him like that.
billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Seann45, I was willing to stay for two or three days,(as I told them) if they will look at it.Sometime in there I am sure someone had five minutes to spare. I don't want to prolong other people who had appoints.I know they sure come first. You would thinks this happen all the time and there are set up for it.What if it was one of Jayco big class C broke down with no appointment.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #12

Troutslayer, I used the tarp as a way too get people asking question,so I could tell them about the great service that comes with a 75 thousand brand new rig. Looking back I was a little madder than I sure have been,after getting home and settling down it does seem so bad.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Not to doubt or impugn anyone, but this is an Internet forum and we're hearing one side of the story. I agree without an appointment you may not receive immediate service, but that's not just a Jayco "thing". Warranty aside, I'm on the road and have a leak, I'm not waiting for service from anyone, think I would attempt to identify and repair it myself, or call a mobile RV service tech to have a look, then lock horns with Jayco over warranty and reimbursement later.

Like my leaky shower enclosure I discovered in our WhiteHawk. Didn't notice it in the bathroom, discovered it when I saw water dripping from the underside of the exterior where the wall fastened to the floor. I ran the shower until I identified how the water got where it did (**** poor shower enclosure caulking), dried it all out and resealed it. Workmanship issue that should be covered under warranty? Probably, but I wasn't interested in hauling the trailer 30 miles and have it sit on the dealer lot for however long waiting "its turn" when I resolved the problem in two hours.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycuth View Post
We're talking about looking at a problem. If it's a major undertaking then of course you put it off to the side. We're talking about a guy who is out of town, a long way from home here.

It took me two trips to a dealer 3 hours away to have my 16XRB delivered. Both times I had a minimum of 2 hours wait time (first time was 4). In the case of that place, no one would be the wiser, because it was so busy you couldn't tell what was what.

They could have at least looked. They didn't need to treat him like that.
Please understand, I'm not trying to be obstinate or mean here so please take my response in the manner in which it is intended (light hearted). TO ME (and maybe only to me), my priority on a long trip like this would be to get it fixed so I could move on down the road and enjoy my trip. I really would not care if the factory looked at it or not just so it got fixed. Do you see where I am coming from? If the factory took the time to look at it but it didn't get fixed what good would that be? Bud&barb might have felt better but they would have still had the problem.
I'm not sure I understand about the situation when you picked up your RV. You should have had an appointment for the walk-thru and delivery of your unit. If you had to wait and then make a second trip, after you had an appointment, I agree with you. That is not acceptable.
We bought our 5th wheel over the phone from a dealer 6 hours from our house. I sent them a deposit and we made an appointment for me to come pick it up. I showed up at the appointment time (waited about 5 minutes) then had a 4 hour walk-thru and I was on my way home.
I am always wary about sending responses like this because emails (and posts) never have a personal "feel" and so, sound rather harsh. Please understand, this is just my opinion and it's o.k. for others to have same.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #15

No matter how you slice it,this is bad service. They did not need to pull a tech of a job to check this out,they have people called service writers whose job is to evaluate problems.
Even if a repair could not be done in a timely manner,the OP probably would have gone away feeling better if they had at least looked and given some suggestions or a refferal to a qualified tech.
Instead they send away a disgruntled customer that hangs a blue tarp on his rig and tells untold number of potential customers of his version of his experience.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
No matter how you slice it,this is bad service. They did not need to pull a tech of a job to check this out,they have people called service writers whose job is to evaluate problems.
Even if a repair could not be done in a timely manner,the OP probably would have gone away feeling better if they had at least looked and given some suggestions or a refferal to a qualified tech.
Instead they send away a disgruntled customer that hangs a blue tarp on his rig and tells untold number of potential customers of his version of his experience.
Will grant you that if things went as the OP related, it could have been handled better. But again, if you're on the road and have a problem with water intrusion into the trailer, it seems prudent to immediately address it by whatever means necessary rather than risk further damage to as the OP put it "a $75000 new trailer". Take up the issue with Jayco and the selling dealer and if you're out of pocket on the repair, seek reimbursement, either from Jayco or in small claims court. I'm sympathetic to the OP's problem and no it shouldn't happen, but it does. Sure wish I knew the cure to the quality ills in the RV industry....................but no one is immune, not even those multi-million dollar bus conversions, though the frequency of problems with them might be a tad less than the experience of the rest of us.....................
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #17

Interesting to read all the replies. I remember my Paw stopping in Red Bay with his new class C Allegro in 92 and they took the time to look and fix a problem. I can say that I have had 3 new Greyhawks since 2006, luckily no major probs with the 06 and 11 but our latest 13 has been in the shop since 7/8 and Jayco really has shown no concern. Their " customer service" is not what it was in my opinion. I would not expect to fix at my expense a problem with a new rig. It's why I buy new... Just my thoughts...
Safe travels
Kentuckian is offline   Reply With Quote