Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

Jayco Solar Power Package

Hello - I am a newbie x17z owner (2021 model) and was thinking about going back to the dealer to have them add the solar power package (one of the options when you buy it). I understand that Jayco pre-wires the units for Go Power for solar.

I did post this in the hybrid section but then I thought that perhaps this maybe a general discussion about Jayco's soloar power package.

Did anyone get Jayco's solar power package?

Generally, does it include an inverter (or is that even needed)? I don't know what their package includes, other than 190w panel and 30 am controller (for the x17z). Will the dealer say that something "extra" is needed to make it work (like an inverter)? My needs would just be power for an occasional extended weekend (2-4 days) - just lights, fans (no A/C, microwave).

Thoughts about Jayco's solar power package?

Are they always roof mounted? Or something else? My x17z has a solar plug in by the hitch, though I would think that Jayco's solar power package would go on the roof - is that typical?

I assume the 190w package would be sufficient for 2-4 days of boondocking?

Thanks!!!
CO Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

Solar was the best modification I have added to my rig. I installed myself.

All the solar does is charge your batteries.
An inverter runs off the batteries. You can add an inverter later if you need it to power some 110v AC items like a tv.

190 watts is a good start. I have 300 and wish I had 400.

Will it power you for 3-4 days? Lots of answers for that but more info is needed. Renogy.com has a lot of info and videos and spreadsheets to help you calculate the answer.

Short answer is, if you have a couple of batteries, have full sun every day, don’t use a lot of power like a furnace and 190 watts of solar will keep you charged up. It’s a good starter package.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #3

Be careful and fully informed having the dealer do it. For example, what brand panels, type and brand controller. Will you get full mfg. warranty if there is any. (many say off brands have little customer service or warranty) Is the dealer going to locate the panel to allow for easy addition of more panels if desired? Will they properly seal the panel installation? Have they done it before? I would rather do it myself, take my time, pick my brands and models and take a lot of time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #4

Thanks for all of the advice! Very helpful.
CO Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:13 PM   #5

I negotiated a 190W panel into my purchase. No doubt it helps me boondock. But YMWV. We use propane for the fridge, very frugal on lights, run the generator 2x a day for 45-1hr and haven't run out of power yet. Inverter sucks juice even if nothing is plugged in, keep it off as much as you can. Use a tablet vrs full computer, lower power.

I wonder about getting a second panel but it won't fit on my roof. I have a 24' Melbourne Prestige and the roof is busy. I could get a standup panel of another 190W but it means managing another fragile "thing" while transporting and connecting to the batteries likely under the RV. And, we like to camp in the trees which isn't perfect for maximizing solar. Even SOME sun in the trees boosts 6-8A.

It's a constant game of resource management. We get about 6-7 days of boondocking before resources fill up/run out (grey/black/fresh tanks, propane of which we have 2 large tanks) which works for us. Then go stay somewhere with full hookups to dump/fill/charge and get some more propane if needed.
white2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

I got the solar option when I ordered my RV.......1-190 watt panel and 30A PWM controller.
I since added another 190 Watt panel and upgraded to a 40A mppt contoller. Much better!

How much does the dealer want to install it? It's really easy to install yourself! I am female and have installed several solar systems on my previous RV's.
Basically.....install panel(s) on roof, run wires to batteries, run wires to a controller installed wherever you want it. Done!

Good luck!!

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote