Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That too, is probably a partial result of the pandemic since we had lumber prices sky-rocket and a lumber shortage.
Afraid not. Mine is a 2017 so no pandemic involved. That is just a cost saving measure.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Afraid not. Mine is a 2017 so no pandemic involved. That is just a cost saving measure.
I don't think the JAY FLIGHT ever had completely solid wood cabinets, but I can't be 100%.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
I don't think the JAY FLIGHT ever had completely solid wood cabinets.
I had a JayFeather years ago that had wood but I was speaking about RVs in general, not JayFlight specifically. My prior 2 were Cruisers by Thor that had all wood but the last ones I've seen don't.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 09-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #24

Quote:
I had a JayFeather years ago that had wood but I was speaking about RVs in general, not JayFlight specifically. My prior 2 were Cruisers by Thor that had all wood but the last ones I've seen don't.
My son and daughter both had low end units that were early 2000's and neither had solid wood. Side panels were covered pressed board similar to what many home kitchen cabinets use today as well.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #25

Quote:
My son and daughter both had low end units that were early 2000's and neither had solid wood. Side panels were covered pressed board similar to what many home kitchen cabinets use today as well.
That's what my current unit has. I don't consider $40k a low end unit though.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 09-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #26

I purchased a 2021 Greyhawk 29 MV in January. The black water discharge was inoperable. The kitchen sink water supply leaked due to incomplete tightening. The outer door and door frame were bent. The Lippert self leveling system failed on two separate occasions. The was a 4 inch slit in the ceiling covering adjacent to a cannister light. The Ford computer control module failed while on a trip to Bozeman, Montana. There were no Ford service centers within a 275 mile radius none of which had space in their schedule. Very disappointed in overall manufacturing quality.
0918gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0918gimp View Post
I purchased a 2021 Greyhawk 29 MV in January. The black water discharge was inoperable. The kitchen sink water supply leaked due to incomplete tightening. The outer door and door frame were bent. The Lippert self leveling system failed on two separate occasions. The was a 4 inch slit in the ceiling covering adjacent to a cannister light. The Ford computer control module failed while on a trip to Bozeman, Montana. There were no Ford service centers within a 275 mile radius none of which had space in their schedule. Very disappointed in overall manufacturing quality.
Not sure about the Leveling Issue, but everything except the FORD module should have been caught and addressed before it even left the dealer's lot.

Obviously they did not do a proper PDI on the rig.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #28

I have a Jayco SLX7 195RB 2020

Had some issue with dinette area where woodwork is breaking requiring some repairs. Back of seats came loose from screws and table leg is inferior ..already been replaced and still an issue.

Latch on compartment came loose. Get impression it's more about number of units rather than quality.
AllysonG-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #29

We have a new 2021 JayFlight 195RB. Being an entry level, light weight rig I fully expected to have some issues. So far we have only had one, a loose window blind. The dealer could not get it into his shop before we needed to use it again (three days after the problem was discovered) so I found the loose screws and fixed it myself. Overall, the build quality is what I expected based on the price we paid, and our dealer, a local family owned operation has been fantastic to work with. Would I buy another Jayco? Absolutely.
RallyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #30

We went to the Jayco factory in August 2016 and ordered a 2017 16XRB with our chosen options. That unit had, as Jayco loudly crowed and advertised as a key quality point, galvanized steel fenders. In September we received our one of the first off the line Thorjayco 2017 16XRB with plastic fenders. I complained bitterly, but Thorjayco said, Screw you, we can do whatever we want with our specifications including swapping Jayco's galvanized steel fenders with our cheap plastic ones. Otherwise the few warranty repairs including a leaky front bed hatch were handled well by Thorjayco customer service and Terrytown RV. Given the two-year warranty I would consider Thorjayco again, but this will very likely - and hopefully, because we mid-septuagenarians really like it - our first and only RV.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
In September we received our one of the first off the line Thorjayco 2017 16XRB with plastic fenders. I complained bitterly, but Thorjayco said, Screw you, we can do whatever we want with our specifications including swapping Jayco's galvanized steel fenders with our cheap plastic ones.
You will find that caveat on 99% of all RV websites and brochures.

As example also from FOREST RIVER:

However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications
Old 09-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #32

Quote:
You will find that caveat on 99% of all RV websites and brochures.

As example also from FOREST RIVER:

However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications
Yes, that is true. I was disappointed because the heavily advertised galv fenders were what sold the unit. When I ordered the specific details I wanted on the trailer I very strongly stated that I wanted the galv fenders that the trailer Jayco showed me at the factory to be on my unit. Six weeks later, under new ownership, the specified galv fenders turned to plastic. You are right: the only thing you can really count on is the fine print and that includes everything to cover the manufacturer and nothing to cover the customer.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #33

The granddaughter of the original Jayco trailer is now going to start making trailers.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #34

Overall, the quality of our 2021 Jay Flight is ok. I say ok because it's very hard for me to use the word quality with an RV.

I will say that the door handles and window latches are cheaper than our pre-Thor 2016 Jay Feather. The Feather's were aluminum. These are all plastic. The other thing is the aluminum skirting and the main door and exterior storage doors are all a bit lighter. I especially see and feel it with the aluminum skirting around the trailer. And the slide out exterior trim is thinner aluminum. Also, our Flight was not built with bulb seals for the screws around the roof sides and rear wall. I am not crazy about that. I had never seen that on a Jayco. I've seen it on other very unimpressive Thor and Forest River products, but not on a Jayco. Are these Thor impacts? I don't know. Maybe. Probably.

Most of this we'll have to live with. It comes with the territory. RVs are cheap. You must have your eyes wide open and be prepared to fix, spend, and replace.

I have not made a move on all of the exposed screws around the roof/wall seams. I will likely Eternabond the joints around the perimeter of the trailer (roof/wall joint).
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:04 AM   #35

X2 gunafulltime

Soon learned that RV and quality rarely fit in the same sentence in a positive way.

Also learned that owning an RV is full-time repair, modify, and in general customizing it and making it better than new - and that can be fun. We've made over 50 modifications and repairs and are keeping our eyes out for whatever needs or wants to be done next. This has been enjoyable, sometimes challenging, and always gratifying.

Fortunately, Thorjayco provided an adequate axel, frame, and shell upon which to build a really nice customized trailer. It's now just about perfect for us and we really like our 2017 16XRB even though it's one of the first to come off the Thorjayco line.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:44 AM   #36

We’re going on our fourth year full timing in the north point below. Since we purchased it we have had absolutely no problems. Every time I think about upgrading I think about our unit with no problems and forget about it.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:02 AM   #37

Quote:
That's what my current unit has. I don't consider $40k a low end unit though.
Isn’t low end determined as a function of size, slides, appliances, features, not just price? $40,000 for a 18’ no slide, single axle, certainly isn’t low end but a 36’ fifth wheel with multiple slides would be low end. Especially when considering items like cabinets and internal construction.

Or another way to look at it, walk into a Jayco dealer with $40,000 and walk into an Airstream dealer with $40,000. I’m guessing the Jayco will be longer and with more features than the Airstream. Same $40,000 being spent. Would we call the Jayco low end? Possibly. But really the conversation becomes how anyone defines low end.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:08 AM   #38

The underlying assumption in this thread is Jayco on their own would not have made these same changes. I’m not certain that’s true. As I recall folks have been complaining about the declining quality of everything for the three score years I’ve been on this planet. The acquisition by Thor gives us a nice dividing line but I image a step back will see a steady decline in quality beginning well before that mark.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #39
Site Team

Walk into an Airstream dealer with 40k and you may get a shiny wheelbarrow!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Walk into an Airstream dealer with 40k and you may get a shiny wheelbarrow!
Lol

Actually their 16' Basecamp model starts at $38,000. Tax, delivery, and dealer fees would push it over $40,000 so you'd have to negotiate a little discount to stay within budget.

How does Jayco (and others) sell for less per foot?
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote