Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #1

Jayco vs Airstream: Help Me Gain Perspective for our Year-Long Trip

My family (2 adults, 3 kids) have long wanted to have a year-long adventure of traveling the US. We’re finally at the place where we can do so and have been looking for an RV. Early on, we settled on the Airstream due to its quality construction, ability to hold its value and even the community aspects. We like the Flying Cloud because of the bunks. But it is expensive.

This last weekend we hit an RV convention and were surprised to walk inside a well-reviewed Jayco Jayflight that had two bunk beds inside, a larger floor plan with slide-outs, extra amenities such as an outside cooking area...and it was one-third of the price. I wouldn't say it’s made quite as well, and based on what I've seen online, it won’t hold its value, it's heavier and it’s not quite as pretty on the outside by comparison, but for a one-year trip, it could be more comfortable for a family of five.

So I’m looking for a bit of perspective, Jayco-ers. Are we finally seeing the light? Is it more realistic to consider a Jayco for our situation? Or, since we're planning on traveling a lot during the year--less staying in one place for a while--is the Airstream still a better solution?
JuryDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Site Team

You may be asking a partial audience. Most have already ruled out Airstream. They are pretty but for me, I could not spend lengthy periods in one.

In my experience, those that full time spend more time inside than the weekend or vacation campers.

An Airstream would be a lot cramped for that lifestyle with 3 kids.

I would rather try and sell a 1 year old Jayco than a similar Airstream.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You may be asking a partial audience. Most have already ruled out Airstream.
For sure, but that's why I posted here. I also cross-posted the same question on a popular Airstream forum to contrast and compare.

Quote:
I would rather try and sell a 1 year old Jayco than a similar Airstream.
That's an interesting statement--why? From what i've seen, the used Airstreams (in good condition) sell very quickly for higher amounts, which is one reason we were leaning that way. Have you seen differently??
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

IMO - family of 5 full timing for a year would make a slide mandatory. I think you will quickly appreciate the space more than the looks or interior styling.

I've had 2 Jayco in 6 years, no issues at all with respect to build quality. My neighbor had a brand new Bambi that developed an incurable water leak after 8 months. He ultimately traded it in on a new Airstream, don't recall the model. That one trade in hit essentially cost him in depreciation what my entire 29QBH cost 2 years used.

His situation might be isolated, and I think airstream does have a reputation for higher quality, but the $60-80 price tag is just too high when a new and very nice SOB TT can be had for $40-$50 less.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

I would agree with the other posters so far. And it's true, I'm a bit biased.

Sure, Airstream has a great reputation, and they are supposed to be quality trailers, but they too have their problems and limitations.

For us, Airstream was a complete no go primarily for price. We simply couldn't (can't) afford one. The second con IMO is the interior styling. I just don't like them on the inside, but that's more personal taste. As was mentioned before, they don't come with slide outs; another big con.

For the space, quality, warranty and support (assuming a good dealer), Jayco is hard to beat IMO. It's just a good value. I'm not too worried about resale on my trailer either since the plan is to keep it for 10 years or so. Assuming you have this epic, year-long road adventure, you might consider that you'd want to keep the trailer after. For me, it would be difficult to just turn the lifestyle on or off just like that; I'd still want to use it for weekend trips and vacations.

Having said all that, if you can afford Airstream and you can reconcile any short-comings, it's a fine trailer and you should get one. But I don't see us ever owning one.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

I like the outside looks of an Airstream. However, every time I walk inside one, I get turned off. Partially I am not into the modern look. One thing I have noticed, Airstreams do not have slide-outs, to open up the internal space to have additional room to move around. For example, if someone is cooking inside the Airstream, everyone else needs to be outside or seated, no running around as there is no floor space. Most Jayco TTs have at least one slide-out. Even the small slide-out in my X23B make the HTT feel roomier.

Have the kids gone shopping with you? If not, I would bring them to both dealerships, ditch the salesperson, and spend an hour in each unit that you like. Dig through both of them, think about where you are going to put all your “stuff” that everyone will have with them. Then think about how you are going to use the TT, both on nice days and rainy days.

If you can financially justify an Airstream, I would strongly consider looking at a 5th wheel. They are very roomy, most have good basement storage space. I noticed recently on the Jayco website they are coming out with a new HT Eagle 30.5MBOK. I think this would be one of my first choice rigs if I was able to do extended trips like yours. Kids and parents both get a bedroom. Plenty of space to sit and relax, space to get away from each other. This 5ver, does not look to be too big to tow, and 5vers tow much nicer than a bumper pull TT. Possible downfall, you would need a ¾ ton crew cab pickup to tow it.

I bet if you compare the deprecation after a year based on base price, they are not too far off from each other. Airstreams probably hold their value much better over the long haul, aka 5+ years down the road. Also be willing to negotiate the price. Commonly you can purchase a new Jayco for 20-35 percent below MSRP, especially if you shop around or buy at or time it close to a local RV show.

No matter what, I would have all 5 of you in each unit for an hour, talking it over, and see how easy it would be to maneuver, and store your belongings.

One thing to note; Jayco’s have a two year warranty (new units), I think Airstream has a one year warranty. All these units are hand built, they all seem to have little issues that are found after the first few trips. So buy it, use it locally for a few months before your big trip, to work out any bugs.

Also consider your TV (tow vehicle). The tow rating is based on an empty vehicle with only an average sided driver (#150-175) and a full tank of fuel. No passengers, no stuff in back. Every pound of stuff you add, you reduce your towing capacity, and kids bring a lot of stuff.
Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

Jayco vs Airstream: Help Me Gain Perspective for our Year-Long Trip

If for no other reason, I'd go Jayco because of the slide out. I've owned both non-slide and slide campers and wouldn't own another camper without a slide out. Especially since your talking 5 people...

There are other reasons... but they are subjective. For instance, I don't care for the look inside nor out of a airstream. However, my father in law loves the look.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

I think Airstreams are wonderful, I love to go in them at the shows to look around. But I don't think I'd find one suitable for our use. As others have pointed out a slider or two (or three ��) make a huge difference in interior space and with 5 on board (and 3 of them young-uns who will probably want their space) I think that'd be paramount. And you did come to the wrong place for an impartial opinion, it's like going to a Houston Texans pep rally and shouting out "Yea Patriots!!!" ��

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #9

Biggest factor for us was the floorplan.

Based on your original post, it sounds like you're talking about my camper, maybe not, but it meets all of those criteria. You won't find an airstream with anything close to that floorplan.

If I was camping with 5, I want a camper almost big enough to come with its own zip code. People tend to enjoy having their own space, especially when on the road for that long.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Site Team

Get the Jayflight use it for the year, keep it and keep on camping after that! You can get a 28BHBE for around 25K or a 32TSBH for around 30. I have no experience with Airstream other then knowing they are well above my paygrade.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #11

An Airstream with near to equal room as my new camper would cost about 4.5 times as much as I spent. I sold my last travel trailer quickly because I take care of things... and I sold it for twice what the dealer wanted to give me for trade. Living in one will take a toll on it, no matter who made it. The unit I bought would be far and away better to full-time in for a year than any trailer without a slide. Also, when I come in from a day of fly fishing or whatever, all those beautiful leather surfaces will look inviting, but my wife has the hardest, boniest little fists in Texas...... so I'd be sitting in the floor... The vinyl in the White Hawk is comfortable and she's not so picky about it. Airstreams are for those that have to have an Airstream for having an Airstream's sake. Jaycos are for those that want to be out and have a great time... in my view...
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

I currently have a non-slide unit and a family of 3. It gets tight in there when everyone is inside. I couldn't imagine adding 2 more kids in the mix. Whatever brand you go with I think you need to seriously consider a slide.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Excellent responses all around--I appreciate it!

Yes, bonsai, it was the 2016 27BHS Elite that caught our attention at the RV show. We had kind of settled on the Airstream based on the points in my OP, but then when the kids went with us to the show and saw the Jayco, we realized we may need to rethink things.

It's difficult to find quality RVs with built-in space for five people--without having to convert furniture into beds all the time, which I think would get old fast.

That's why we were looking at the Flying Cloud 30 Bunk, this Jayco 27BHS, and even the Lance 2185, which is somewhat between the two in price and much lighter. It also has a two-year warranty--one of the few.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #14

Lance was also in my top 3 when I was shopping.

I had it narrowed down to the Jayco, A Winnebago (the bunkhouse model here - https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...innie/overview) and also Lance.

Lance seems to have a fan base almost as loyal as the Airstreams.

We really like our Jayco, but I'd never try to push someone into getting one just because it works for us. It's a pretty big decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit.. if I had 5, I just saw Winnebago has the 'mini plus' which I would give a serious look. Not sure what your tow vehicle is, but I like these a lot too.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...-plus/overview
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #15

Airstream vs Jayco

My parents had Airstreams and loved them. When I was in high school, we'd take cross country trips. There were 4 of us, and it was cramped, but cramped in style. My husband and I have had 4 Popups selling the last one, a Highwall style with bathroom, etc., and bought a Jayco White Hawk 27DRSL last spring. We love it. It is roomy enough for our two 75lb. dogs. The quality may not be as high as the Airstream, but it is much more comfortable. And the price, was much lower. We have yet to take a cross country trip, but that is coming. We have had it out in cold weather and on longer trips in 109º weather. It stayed comfortable and everything worked well.
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #16

What are the ages of the kids? As they get older they will need more space. Airstream are wonderful rigs, but, having worked at campgrounds for 3 or 4 years I can't remember seeing one with more than one or two kids, most being smaller children. The vast majority of Air Streamers I interacted with were older couples with no children. I'm sure in part because of cost, but also because of limited floor space. Slide outs in and RV make a huge difference. We typically live in ours for 6 months at a time, and, the larger the slide out the more comfortable it is, even for just my wife and I.
I would go for space myself. Just as I don't buy a house based on it's investment value, but rather on how it "works" for the family, I wouldn't base my decision of an RV on the potential resale value. I would buy for the trip and enjoyment, and let the chips fall where they may at the end. JMHO.

Please keep us informed as to the RV and also the trip itself, no matter what you wind up purchasing.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
For sure, but that's why I posted here. I also cross-posted the same question on a popular Airstream forum to contrast and compare.

That's an interesting statement--why? From what i've seen, the used Airstreams (in good condition) sell very quickly for higher amounts, which is one reason we were leaning that way. Have you seen differently??
For me, it would be a large investment that I would not get into for that short a duration, even if I wanted one.
No one buys a rv for the appreciation is resale price IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

Costs!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Jayco vs Airstream

I would sooner go on an extended trip in a 20 year old Airstream than a 20 year old Jayco. The beauty of the Airstream is its simplicity - no slides to stop working or leak, no front corners to leak etc. and the outside will look much better than a 20 year old tin or fiberglass trailer with the same amount of maintenance. The Airstream will be easier to pull down the highway with similarly equipped tow vehicles.

When both are brand new, you will appreciate the extra creature comforts and the additional floor space with the slide and rear bunks of the Jaycos. That extra space may not seem that important now, but after the first month on the road the extra space will be priceless. The available storage on the Airstreams I have seen is very limited. Enough for a couple but with 3 children, available storage will be reduced by 60%. One other advantage in most Jaycos is larger black, grey and freshwater tanks are much larger which will facilitate boondocking, which you will probably have an opportunity to do on your year long journey. Sharing tank capacity with 5 vs a couple means you will refill and empty more frequently.

Finally, if you were to sell a brand new Jayco and a brand new Airstream after one year, I believe the dollar amount you would be out of pocket would be much closer than you think. The percentages may be higher on the Jayco but you are dealing with 1/4 to 1/3 the investment. Remember to get the trailer off the lot, you will have to pay your taxes, PDI, good quality hitch etc. which will not be recoverable. If a one year old Jayco experiences 20% depreciation and a one year Airstream suffers half as much at 10% you are still going to be out of pocket more cash on the Airstream.

I think you also need a Land Rover, Mercedes or similar luxury vehicle to pull an Airstream whereas Jaycos look right at home behind base model Fords, Chevys, Rams, Toyotas and Nissans at half the price.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #20

I grew up in the 1970's next door to a lovely couple who never had children. They had an Airstream and my parents had a "Honey" class C. My neighbors were REALLY into the Wally Bynam club, owned a lot in the Airstream resort in N. Georgia and loved that Airstream. They also drove a huge Cadillac.

My parents loved that Honey, were really into the Good Sam Club and camped at every state park in Georgia.

The only thing I remember about the Airstream was that when our families would camp together, I had to take my shoes off before I could enter the Airstream.

The way I look at the difference between Airstreams and other RV's is as follows:
I had a business partner for years. He always wore a Rolex, I wore a Timex - they both showed the same time. My partner drove a Porsche for a while, then a Landrover. I drove a Ford Explorer. We got to work in the same amount of time (and I was always giving him rides when his Landrover was in the shop :-)).

For some people the image of owning "Stuff" (to quote George Carlin) is as or more important than functionality. Me, even though I could afford an Airstream, I'd rather take that money and buy more gasoline and campground fees.

P.S. - No offence to any Rolex wearing LandRover owners :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote