Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Jayco vs Open Range

Looking to get into the RVing world in either a Jayco 295fbhs or Jayco 295bhds or an Open Range (highland) 295fbh. I'm leaning hard on jayco for the construction... My wife's more concerned about the layout of the Open Range and doesn't understand fully the concept behind how there made first. I do get that most trailers on the market are made cheaply and just wanna make the right sound investment for our household. All trailers mentioned are fifth wheels. Looking for feedback on all 3 trailers mentioned both good and bad. Greatly appreciate anything mentioned. Also if there are things that I should purchase or try and have throw into the deal that would help also.

Cheers,
Tyler
Boomer8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

Our first TT wax an Open Range the quality was excellent. We have a Jayco 5th wheel now. I think the Open Range was better quality.

Jason
Reese 16K slider hitch
M109pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Open Range has been having a lot of trouble with the slide gear boxes lately. They seem to have dropped in quality since Jayco bought them while, ironically, the quality of the Jaycos seem to have improved.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #4

Wife and I looked at an Open Range while at a campground recently. I was very impressed with the fit and finish. BTW, they also have a 2 year warranty, like Jayco. We will seriously consider them when looking for a new trailer.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #5

I suggest checking out the Open Range Owners' forum.

Open Range RV Owners Forum • Index page
Old 07-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #6

We had a Jayco 26BH, and we upgraded to a Open Range Roamer 367BHS to stay on the road for much longer trips. We loved our Jayco, and we love our Roamer.

I think the build quality between the two will be very similar. Every floorplan will have its own "common" issues. Some are easy fixes by the owner ... Some are much more troubling. Your best bet is to research the specific models you are interested in to get a feel for the issues you may encounter. Keep in mind that people are more likely to post when they have problems.

When you are ready to make an offer, you will have a good idea what to look for and can select the one on the dealer's lot that looks to have the best build quality. Also, you will know areas to focus on for the PDI.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

One other note ... Often times you will see systemic problems with newer floorplans. Those issues get worked out for subsequent model years. I suggest looking at how long a particular model has been produced. I would certainly stay away from first model years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Def much appreciated going forward in making the right decision for our first trailer. Big thx Lady Fitzgerald for the open roads fourm link will be checking that out soon enough.

Cheers,
Boomer8890 is offline   Reply With Quote