Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Question Jayco vs openrange

Hi! I'd like your feedback on the following models: jayco whitehawk 28dsbh vs openrange ultralite ut2704bh. I like the ultralite's esthetic better, but am worried about quality...any opinions??
Wakeup26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

We saw an open range lt272rls down at the lake this week and really liked the layout but I cant speak to the long term on them. My wife still likes ours better but its also 4 foot longer and has a bedroom slide that theirs didn't.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Wakeup26;449788]Hi! I'd like your feedback on the following models: jayco whitehawk 28dsbh vs openrange ultralite ut2704bh. I like the ultralite's esthetic better, but am worried about quality...any opinions??[/

Jayco's 2yr. warranty should be considered. We purchased a Greyhawk 13months ago, & the dealer now has it fixing a few small warranty issues. I would have had to change some of my plans with it this year if I only had a 1yr. warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Hi Wakeup,

Before we pulled the trigger on our 2017 28DSBH, we too were considering the 2704BH. On paper the lighter weight and arguably more durable roof appealed to us, and in online videos it showed nicely with the driftwood interior, etc. We also liked the taller slide out and the fact that it was carpetless. And the excellent R-values were also appealing. So we drove a couple of hours to see one.

In a word - flimsy. Pressed board abounded in the interior, the counters seemed to be made of an odd material, the walls are pinch rolled rather than vacuum laminated, fewer options are available, AND if equipped similarly the Open Range was more expensive. Yes, you're about 700lbs lighter, but you end up with a shorter awning, a plastic toilet, etc.

Lord knows the White Hawk is no Airstream, but compared to the Open Range we thought it was head and shoulders above it. Unless weight is seriously an issue, I'd recommend the White Hawk - more features, superior frame, more storage, better fit and finish, just a more solid rig all around. Oh, and less money too, at least in the head-to-head pricing we did.

I wanted to like the Open Range, but it just didn't feel like it would hold up over time. But everyone sees things differently, you might love it. Just make sure you stand in one of each before deciding. Good luck!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the input! I am also attracted to some of the OR's features such as no carpet, lighter colors and wide entry to bunks (also, it seems as though there is more head room in the bunks than the whitehawk) However, i don't want a TT that falls apart..so quality will always be my number one priorité. Thanks again greatly appreciated!
Wakeup26 is offline   Reply With Quote