Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #41

We just had warranty work done. Bent axle. Jayco warranteed the repair the day after the dealer submitted it. The unit is all fixed. We don't have it back home cause the storage area is now under a bunch of hardened snow and ice. But from diagnosis to repair was about two weeks.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
What it is is bad business!
Why is it bad business to take care of your customers before you take care of someone elses customer? I would say that is good business. If you purchase from us we are going to use our limited resources (labor) on taking care of you first.

Makes sense to me.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #43

Yep, makes sense to me too. If I have to turn away business due to limited manpower I would turn away those who are not my sales customers.

I did the same in my business. If you bought it from me you got preference in service over someone who bought it somewhere else. For my sales customers I would even discount my services at times (yes, I knew who my good customers were).

Yep, I did lose some sales customers. They were the ones who would want discounts cause they said they could find the same thing somewhere else for 20% less. Or they would buy the product used from somewhere and expect me to make it 'right'. More trouble than they were worth and was glad to not have them as customers.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #44

Trust me, I know, insider info, not coming from a customer view point,,,customers who buy from a dealer often get Priority Service. It may not be a popular practice but it is a widely used practice. Just keep it in mind when you are weighing pros/cons, value/cost.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #45
Site Team

From what had heard from my local dealer, Jayco does not pay a great amount for warranty work to the dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #46

If a business does is not able or does not want to expand to satisfy demand that's fine but to tell people you either pay my retail prices or else is bad business.

The word spreads, as it always does, about that kind of operating practice.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #47

We knew from before the purchase what our service priority would be locally cause we asked directly.
The dealer said they service their own customers first because of limited staff. We also asked if they could match the price of another dealer 200 miles away; at the time we were weighing cheapest option. They said they were aware of the other dealers prices but transport charges to Maine were higher due to lower volume.
This all was a very civil conversation. We took a couple of days to weigh each factor and decided to buy locally even though it was more expensive.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
From what had heard from my local dealer, Jayco does not pay a great amount for warranty work to the dealer.
Their all about the same...they have to be to be competitive in getting rv dealers to put their products on their lots.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:23 AM   #49

A few years ago, I was at a dealer who was about 180 miles from where I live. I was looking at a specific trailer he had that I was interested in.

He told me then that his shop always gave preferential treatment to customers who originally bought from them. He did say his shop did have an exception to this policy. His dealership was just off of I-81 in southwest Virginia. There are a lot of RV traveling through his area on I-81 either from the north or from the south.

If one of them had a broken RV, and stopped at his shop, his shop did everything it could to work that RV into the repair schedule. For them, it didn't matter if they bought it from his dealership or not.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 AM   #50

Quote:
News flash... no manufacturer pays righteous for warranty work.

More to the point of this discussion, I found this video from Haylett RV interesting.

Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We knew from before the purchase what our service priority would be locally cause we asked directly.
The dealer said they service their own customers first because of limited staff. We also asked if they could match the price of another dealer 200 miles away; at the time we were weighing cheapest option. They said they were aware of the other dealers prices but transport charges to Maine were higher due to lower volume.
This all was a very civil conversation. We took a couple of days to weigh each factor and decided to buy locally even though it was more expensive.
My commercial trucking business is in the transportation sector. While I don't do RV and trailer transport, I am very aware of rates in that sector since the lion's share of my business is done right in the heart of RV country in Indiana. I live in Iowa, but haul goods and production materials back and forth from Indiana/Ohio and Nebraska. Transport charges are pretty much the same per mile across the board for RV and Trailer transit. 200 miles further equates to about $180-$200 of transport charges.

That being said, any dealer I talk with, I factor $2 a mile from where the RV/TT/5th is made to that dealer. That is a known quantity in the negotiation. For instance, I may choose to buy my next in Michigan. I live in Iowa. Any dealer in Iowa, to get the business, will have to beat the Michigan dealer. Say the MI dealer is asking $25,000 flat for the unit. They are about 90 miles from where the trailer is made, vs a nearby dealer to me being 400 miles away. 310 miles difference. I also factor in my cost for going and getting a unit from Michigan, approximately $200. So I allow for that and the local dealer will have to beat $25,820. Then I also factor in their reputation for treating the customer after the sale. No monetary value can be applied to that, and each person would have to decide how much that affects them. And if they try to use the scare tactic approach, they just lost the business. Pure and simple. I may not go as far as Michigan to get the next unit, I may only go 90 miles away to another dealer, but the one near me who tried to strong arm me won't get the sale.

I have pulled my semi truck away from docks and left their stuff they were wanting to ship right on the dock where it was when I showed up, because the customer was trying to screw me over in one way or another. I have no problem leaving a dealer lot over a stupid RV sale. The OEM's make thousands upon thousands of these things and there is always a dealer that wants my business.

The only way I would even consider trusting some dealer who used the "we give priority service to our own buyers" thing is if they put that into writing as part of the final purchase contract. Then if they do not live up to that, the law firm of Burn 'Em and Run or Dewey Cheatem and How will be giving them a call since they violated a written contract. If they are not going to put it into the contract that I get preferential treatment (and they won't), then their statement is pure fear tactic and not worthy of further consideration. I don't do substantive business with children.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #52

'Preferential' treatment is a broad statement. If there are 50 customers in front of you waiting for service that bought from the dealer that gives preferential treatment, how preferential is it? You're still gonna wait.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #53

Issues with dealer doing warranty work.

My unit was at dealership for over 2 months. They did not even order parts until I started making noise. When they said it was ready I drove down to get it. It was not done. Since I had driven over 300 miles to get it, I took it home. They said they would send someone out to fix what was not finished. They mis-represented themselves on that as well. When we called, they keep saying will call back and do not. Even the General Manager will not respond or answer his phone. Does anyone know if there is any recourse with Jayco? I have had no luck with the dealership or Jayco customer service. Do we really have to take it to Indiana to get stuff done? If anyone would like to know the dealer name, just let me know.
lllump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #54

Unfortunately RV and TT warranty stuff isn’t like autos. Any shop can do the warranty work. Just diagnose the problem, call trailer or component OEM for an authorization, do the work, and submit the invoice.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
Might want to stay away from CW
We've had our Jayco for about 8 months now. Unfortunately, it was at Camping World getting fixed (Schwintek motor) for the last 3 months. My experience is this: Sales treats you like kings until you sign on the line. Service treats you better but you have to wait for it. I suppose timing is everything.. they were booked up solid, staff got sick, seasonal holidays, staff changes and waiting on back order parts. We got it back cleaned up and looking good. Just not fond of the wait time.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #56

I will never step foot in another CW no matter how desperate I am. Our unit was at CW for 1 year for warranty. Currently, just waiting for our factory appointment at Jayco in the spring. I'm dying to see their faces when they see the shoddy repairs attempted not to mention other damage. When I picked up the unit, I called Jayco and told them I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay for anything until they see for themselves. I figure the only way I'd ever get the thing fixed is taking it there and showing the proof. Makes me wonder how long they can allow this with authorized service centers without doing something about it.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote