Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Jayco Warranty Experience

Returning from our RV club's weekend campout we lost our Eagle's brakes, with the controller showing an overload, or short code. As we were climbing from 6k to 9k feet, our home, it was not a major problem. But heading back down to a dealership for warranty work would have been unsafe. So having a reliable horse trailer dealer near our home I took it there, thinking the problem was probably in my TT's connection to the TV.
But the mechanic traced it to a broken clip under the trailer that had allowed a wire to fray. I told them to go ahead and fix it, and then submitted my bill to Jayco with an explanation for not having contacted them in advance.

Customer service wrote me this week and essentially said the check is in the mail. There was no hesitation. It's pleasing to do business with a firm that is capable of making what was probably an exception to their guidelines due to the circumstances. So many firms tie their employees' hands and force them to go by the book, regardless of the resulting negative publicity.

It's worth noting that this occurred in our second year of warranty. We'd have been out of luck with most manufacturers with their one-year warranties.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Glad to hear you also had a good experience during the second year of warranty.

I'm one that can say that my (ongoing) brake issue was finally resolved by a local brake shop that specializes in horse trailers! And not our Jayco dealer (update posts made along the way here on JOF).

Our tt was built during a short period where defective brakes were supplied by Dexter. Well after a year of allowing dealer to resolve issue, we finally contacted Dexter direct. They authorized the work to be done locally (and actually found the local shop for us). Due to the fact that this had been the fourth attempt to fix it, Dexter actually paid to send the guy to our house to make the 'fix'. I can tell you that I was pleased that Dexter followed through with the 2nd year warranty for us.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

All this positive stuff is good to hear. I have a punch list of minor issues and plan on taking them all in for one visit after I winterize in September. Yeah, I sleep better getting that job done the first week or ten days of September. We'll be all ready to head south in December.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing your experience, makes me happy I chose the Jayco...
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

. I'm happy to know Jayco stands behind their product..I'm very glad to hear you got home safely.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #6

Glad everything worked out for you Craig. The dealer replaced a seal around one of the slideouts last month and no problem what so ever. Jayco knows how to keep their customers happy. And keeping repeat customers.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #7

I'm glad to hear you got a positive resolution to your brake problem.

I do have a Jayco warranty question however. We just bought a new Jayco hybrid TT. We did not purchase it from our local Jayco dealer mainly because it was a model (the X23B), they do not stock. And also their main TT line is Coachmen and I think Jayco is their "secondary line". We ended up purchasing it from an out of state dealer. If my TT needs warranty work, is my local dealer obligated to do it, even though we did not buy from them? According to the dealer we did buy from, our local dealer is obligated to do warranty repair(s). Is this true?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #8

glsimms, most likely it is true, the dealer is obligated to do the warranty work, but I have found in the past if you didn't buy it from that dealer his customers come first. you might be put in line behind them. Or they may be happy to get the business.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAE View Post
glsimms, most likely it is true, the dealer is obligated to do the warranty work, but I have found in the past if you didn't buy it from that dealer his customers come first. you might be put in line behind them. Or they may be happy to get the business.
That's what I thought too.

Hopefully, I won't be needing it (very often)!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

I think if you call a dealership's service dept. and ask politely when it would be convenient for them to work on your rig you will find out if you want to have them working on it in the first place. Our "home" dealer is a thousand miles away. But one a hundred miles out did make a couple adjustments in a timely manner, and the local Camping World has a warranty man that I've spoken to and he was happy to do the work IF I'd schedule it for a quieter time of the year, which I will do. And that CW doesn't even carry Jayco, although I suspect they are affiliated with another CW in the state that does.

When we were shopping for our last rig I was talking to the service manager of a small but old dealer nearest to us. He told me he had just turned away a man who wanted some warranty work done on a trailer he'd purchased elsewhere, even though it was a brand they carried. That was enough for me, and I'll never consider giving that outfit any of my money. I think a service department's willingness to do the work is far more important than whether they are required to do so.
'14 Denali XL
Old 08-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
That was enough for me, and I'll never consider giving that outfit any of my money. I think a service department's willingness to do the work is far more important than whether they are required to do so.
110% Yes!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #12

It goes both ways, the dealer is supporting the customers that support them. I am sure that they have enough work that if they took more work to the point it compromises their ablitly to take care of their existing clientelle. I would rather turn away a customer that hasnt spent a dime with me than one that has spent 10's of 1000's. Now in "Most" of North America you have a short camping season 3-6 months. So you have small window to make or break your earning season. If you get the reputation of no after sales service - well that can kill a dealer too. They absolutly can do warranty on product not sold at that store (with in the brands they are a dealer for). As some one said - in the off season when things are slower sure he'll have time to look at it.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #13

As far as the OP comments are concerned. It looks like Jayco realises that safety comes first and dealing with brakes you dont always have the option of getting to a Jayco dealer for repair. Very likely the bill that was sent in for reimbursement was reasonable for the work that was performed. Nice to see that Jayco takes the high road in circumstances like this.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #14

I have to say that Jayco has stood behind their product on MOST issues we have experienced. Saddly, there have been LOTS of issues. The bubbles in the slide will just have to stay there as we won't be staying in a motel for days while it is being fixed. We have recently noticed rub marks on the kitchen floor and the dealer thinks there is a broken weld in the edge of the slide but they are not equiped to deal with that. We think the slide is ok but is not retracting all the way in on the forward edge.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote