Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Jayco Warranty or Not ?

We purchased our 2018 Jayco from a private sale. The previous owner purchased the unit new 5/18 and due to health issues sold it to us 11/18. When we purchased I assumed (bad idea) that Jayco would honor the warranty but no they won't. They told me that the warranty is only good for the original owner. We have only had minor issues so far. I think that Jayco is making a mistake here and the integrity of the company could suffer. JMHO
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #2

The Jayco warranty is non-transferable. In fact I think this is a standard practice in the RV industry. Hundai and Kia have been using this model for many years and it hasn't hurt them one bit.

Generally most people really do only have minor issues. This is our 3rd Jayco that was purchased new and we've never had to make a warranty claim. The small stuff that wasn't right from the factory I fixed myself rather than have it sitting at the dealer for 6 weeks at a time.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

As the unit is basically new, consider buying an outside warranty. Maybe from GoodSam?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
As the unit is basically new, consider buying an outside warranty. Maybe from GoodSam?

Murff
X2
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:

Murff
Do you have experience with them?
Old 04-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacotim View Post
I have friends who have used the Good Sam warranty and speak highly of it. I never have needed one. My unit had a few warranty claims but since it expired at 2 years, not anything that an extended warranty would cover.

If I bought a nearly new unit, I might be temped to price it and go for it if the price was something I wanted to spend my hard earned money on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have friends who have used the Good Sam warranty and speak highly of it. I never have needed one. My unit had a few warranty claims but since it expired at 2 years, not anything that an extended warranty would cover.

If I bought a nearly new unit, I might be temped to price it and go for it if the price was something I wanted to spend my hard earned money on.
That's good to know, I will check on it. I usually can fix problems but I am concerned w/ the replacement cost of a system or appliance.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Not directly, but at least you know they will be around in the future.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
We purchased our 2018 Jayco from a private sale. The previous owner purchased the unit new 5/18 and due to health issues sold it to us 11/18. When we purchased I assumed (bad idea) that Jayco would honor the warranty but no they won't. They told me that the warranty is only good for the original owner. We have only had minor issues so far. I think that Jayco is making a mistake here and the integrity of the company could suffer. JMHO
It's really standard practice in the industry, so the integrity of the company won't suffer (not from a warranty perspective at least). This is probably something you should have looked into before the purchase though, not 5 months after.
erich82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich82 View Post
It's really standard practice in the industry, so the integrity of the company won't suffer (not from a warranty perspective at least). This is probably something you should have looked into before the purchase though, not 5 months after.
If a person is brand new to the RV world, the non transferable warranty is something they would never have been familiar with, nor thought about questioning.

I would not have known this when I bought my first RV, had it been just a few months old. Of course all the prior RV's I've bought have been so old, there was no warranty to even think about.

Most people are used to automobiles, where any warranty is transferable, except apparently Kia, which I didn't know about.

I know Ford, for it's gas vehicles, has a basic bumper to bumper 3 year/36,000 mile warranty and on the engine a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty.

If I bought a Ford from either a dealer or private sale, I would get the balance of any of those warranties that are left.

Heck, even a Ford ESP is transferable to a second hand party, with a payment of something like $100.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Welcome to the world of RV's, where nothing is as it seems to be.

Totally different than with Ford or Chevy or FMC.

There is something else different between new RV warranties and automotive warranties. With RV's, the manufacturer warranties does not cover any appliance, axle, or other important part not actually constructed by the RV manufacturer.

Everything in a car, whether manufactured by the car maker or not, is warrantied. Not so with an RV.

If the fridge in my J Flight 23RB failed tomorrow, I'd have to turn to Norcold to get relief, not Jayco.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #12

I'm not sure about turning to the appliance manufacturer. My television has developed a bunch of problems. I contacted Furrion and was told that I had to go through Jayco. Jayco requires that I deal with the dealer. Unfortunately, or in the case of the TV, I have a bigger issue that requires a trip to the dealer.

Here is the dealer response
"Your unit has to be schedule in and have the diagnostics done and then a pre-auth put in before we can order a new TV. We can't ship any warranty parts to the customer that must be diagnosed and installed at our dealership.

We are booking the 3rd week of May for any type of repairs so please let me know when you would want to drop it off while we work thru the warranty process to get this TV replace for you.

I have May 13,14 or 15 available let me know what day you would like me to put you on the schedule.

Thank you for understanding while we work thru the factory process."
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #13

^^^ What Jim said. The Furrion DV3300 in our new White Hawk does not play DVDs. I called Furrion, we troubleshot the issue, and they determined that the DVD player is defective. I asked them for a warranty exchange. They created a warranty exchange authorization and gave me the case number, but said that I need to go through Jayco. I called Jayco and they said that they can't ship parts directly to me, that I need to call a Jayco dealer. I called a Jayco dealer and they said that I needed to bring the trailer in for them to troubleshoot the problem. I explained to them that we already took care of that with Furrion, and gave them the warranty exchange case number. The dealer called Jayco, and Jayco refused to honor the troubleshooting done by Furrion. Jayco also requested that I take the trailer to the dealer. WTF! My Jayco dealer is about 30 miles away, and we use our trailer. Long story short, the warranty is useless for things like this. I bought a Furrion DV300 and replaced it myself. I should have done that from the beginning if I have known the aggravation, and all the time that I was going to waste dealing with Jayco's BS warranty.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #14

Jayco warranty will cover your dometic, norcold, atwood, furion,lippert parts or appliances in your RV. Sometimes they will want the dealer to go to the vendors first.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #15

I would get something for sure. We love our 2018 36fbts but we have had some issues. Not with Jayco quality but with stuff they don't have alot of control over. Like both bathroom fans, the circuit boards on the furnace and gas side of the water heater. Both are being taken care of but it could get pricey with out the warranty.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #16

I just did this with the microwave. During the PDI I discovered it did not function properly. I was hoping they would just unplug one from another trailer and get me on my way. Nope. I purchased the trailer in Salt Lake and I live in Denver. I took delivery with a few things noted on the inspection and trailered it home in late December. We camped in it one night in January to check everything else and I dropped it off at my local CW. They had it for two months just to diagnose and get the work order started for the parts from Jayco. We don’t need the microwave and everything else was pretty minor so I won’t let them have it again until after the season to repair and replace.

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #17

Yes - the warranty is only good for the original owner. I have owned my third Jayco and we have only had minor issues/problems that I could fix. We have a great dealership down the road so ordering/picking up parts works well for us. Even though they were used, I knew/expected a few things that the other owner neglected or let "pass" without taking it in for a month for warranty work.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
Jayco warranty will cover your dometic, norcold, atwood, furion,lippert parts or appliances in your RV. Sometimes they will want the dealer to go to the vendors first.
According to the warranty given in my owner's manual, that isn't the case. Here is the exact wording.

"Warranty packet There are components that are excluded from the vehicle warranty, or are warranted separately by their own individual manufacturer’s limited warranty. The Warranty Packet contains these component manufacturer supplied manuals or information sheets, warranty cards and/or registrations. Consult this information for questions regarding operating, maintenance, servicing instructions and warranty coverage. It is important you complete and mail warranty cards and registrations within the prescribed time limits to avoid loss of warranty coverage."

Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #19

Mine says the same thing as you are quoting, however when I contacted Furrion they said talk to Jayco. Jayco referred me to the dealer.
From the television's repair not a problem since it's a small thing. There is also a structural issue that requires the dealer to work on
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #20

Quote:

Murff
Good suggestion. Be sure and read the small print though. Most aftermarket, 3rd party warranties (i.e., Good Sam) do not cover structural issues involving roof, walls, and flooring---just appliances, slide mechanisms, converter, frig, etc.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote